PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Project for the Boss

steven c newman
10-17-2018, 1:22 PM
Well, vacation from the shop didn't last long....The Boss found an item, in a catalog, that she wants built.....mainly to replace a "catch-all" monster..
Open those doors at your own peril ....4 shelves inside crammed full of.....stuff:rolleyes:....at one time, this was to be a 4 drawer "Chester Drawers" then changed to a changing table...then this "pantry" thing. Too tall, too wide, too deep...too full.
This is what she wants, instead. (Think Flat Pack...grrrr) so....like Boris Badanov....I always have a Plan....just had to draw it out on paper, and get it approved..by the Boss..
World Class Drafting Table? Tape measure will also be the one used throughout the project.
There is a front view....drawers instead of "cubby-holes"....sized to fit the current Microwave...since I am a bit frugal (cheap?) flip the paper over..
For the view of an end/side of the case. Lumber?
Plus what is already on hand. Letting this sit a day...maybe tomorrow a few panels will get made?

Have about 20bf of Oak to work with....will see how the pine supply holds up...

Stay tuned. Will get the lower unit done first...then do the topper...vacation my......:eek:

Dan Hulbert
10-17-2018, 2:09 PM
Looks similar to a Hoosier Cabinet. We have two that I rescued/restored many years ago. Neither is used in a Kitchen. One is used for liquor and junk, the other is in a Guest room and doubles as a changing table and dresser for when the little ones come to visit.

You may want to look at some examples before starting the build.

steven c newman
10-17-2018, 4:00 PM
Well, it won't be a Hoosier Cabinet.....just a place for the Microwave to sit. Will be smaller "footprint" to allow people to walk through that doorway. Won't stick out as far into traffic. There are a couple Hoosiers downtown,,,,,$$$$!....Will NOT be painting this Project.....Golden Oak, Shellac, Clear Gloss Poly sounds a lot better than KILZ Primer...

Need a pair of 16" wide, by 36" long panels made up....then some 1 x 3 face frame parts made. Pine webframes needed under the drawers, and over them. will be two drawers...the doors need to have a flat panel....might have a few of those. Then the door frames in oak....plain, flat-sawn stuff...
top of the case will need to be a glue up....may use that fancy grained stuff...

steven c newman
10-17-2018, 5:34 PM
Boards for one panel glue up have been rough cut for length....one has been ripped for width. Will take a bit of jointer plane work, to get the edges ready for any sort of glue up...5-1/2" wide boards don't quite add up to 14-1/2" wide panel....adding a 2-1/2" wide strip down the center.

One set of parts....needs the edges jointed...
Parts for the other side's panel..
Cut-offs, so far...

steven c newman
10-18-2018, 5:47 PM
Ok..Breathing Stress Test at Lunchtime today.....sitting in a booth about the size of a phone booth for 90 minutes or so....breathing into a nozzle-like contraption....Not a fun way to "do lunch"..

Took a nap when I got back home. Rounded up the shop apron...as I am NOT allowed to get my NEW Sunday go to Meeting jeans dirty in the shop..
Keeps the sawdust and glue off of me...
Made a bit, today....also about an hour's worth of these..
Takes a while, when they look like this..
Three parts got their edges jointed. Then some glue and clamps...and cauls
Tablesaw to crosscut and rip parts for side #2...
Might be a bit rough, to blend the grain into a panel? Planes?
Stanley No. 5 is a cambered jack...there is also the WR #62.....then there is the Stanley No. 7c and the Millers Falls No, 14..both have no camber.
Might be some useful parts in this stack? Need to make a 26" x 16" top panel...might be enough there? Face frame parts? Door frame parts? we'll see..
Stay tuned......

Don Orr
10-19-2018, 8:42 AM
Aaaaaand he's off! Staying tuned.

steven c newman
10-19-2018, 5:30 PM
Ok..this will take a couple posts to do..got the clamps off of Panel #1 today..
and set aside out of the way..
This will be the "inside" view. Plan is once both panels are done, to clamp them inside to inside and then trim them to final size, at the same time...so they will match each other..
Had three more boards to work on..
Needed to joint a few edges. Started with one of the wide boards..
Had a straight line along the edge to shoot for...
Jack plane to get close to the line, No. 7c to finish things up..
Then on to the middle board..
Used an "F" style clamp, stuck one end into the tool well..then jointed both edges of this board..checked for gaps with the first board..
No gaps? Reset and do the last edge....then glue, clamps, and cauls..
Needed a caul right in the middle, this time around...skinny board had a curve to it...
Stay tuned..more to come, from today's follies

steven c newman
10-19-2018, 5:44 PM
Still here? Ok...the center caul?
Will let this set a while...
Needed three boards, to make a panel for the case's top....two I could cut from the "Off-Cut" pile.....@ 26" long. The third one? Needed to haul another 6' plank to the shop...find the best 26" section, and cut the rest away...
Came out to just under 16" wide....not a biggie. Grain match?
Work in progress....considering a Microwave Oven will be sitting on it...
There were two cut offs...one MIGHT be for a drawer front..but...
This is both of the "scraps"...plainer one is underneath. The one on top..looks great, right? Flip it over..
Hmm, what to do with this thing....board is even tapered..
Hmm....we'll see. Swept the floor ( AGAIN!) now that the empty trashcan is back in the shop. Then hung up the apron ( had to keep the jeans clean..)
I think that will do..for a Friday...stay tuned...

steven c newman
10-20-2018, 8:26 AM
Late last night, wander down to the shop, removed the clamps, and then clamped panel #2 to Panel #1....to flatten both bows out. Letting them sit a while.....maybe this afternoon, with them still clamped together...I can move the stack to the bench ( HEAVY!) and see about a trim? One edge is close....the other long grain edge is a bit ..off.....straight edge to mark a line....maybe a stick to guide the saw?

Get the edges straight, then square the top and bottom ends. Figure out which is which, and cut the feet profiles...stay tuned

steven c newman
10-20-2018, 4:17 PM
Well, today I had several tasks to get done:

Go to a Barn Sale, and see about some pine 1xs. Brought home enough to get some of the other tasks done.

Get the two sides matched for width and length....and cut a foot profile in each....as soon as I figure out which end the "Foot" was

Get the two shelves close to being installed...cleats made, panels cut..

Rip a couple pieces for the skinny parts of the face frame

And, get parts made for the two webframes....should be a decent day's work?

Going to need more than one post....lot going on..
Plopped this onto the bench...right side is close enough that a jointer plane will work....the left side..
Required a bit more drastic option...mainly that circular saw sitting there....once that was done...had to trim the ends square..

Went back and jointed the other edge...
And checked with a straight edge....then the feet profiles...
Nothing fancy,,,will do the same across the front.
Getting further down the to-do list. Set the sides off to the side...and cut the 1 x 10 I picked up this morning...
Two full width, rip the other two for final width....and make four cleats to set them on...Set this aside, and work on the 1 x 3 I also picked..
Webframe parts, plus a kicker. Ripped the narrow parts to allow for screws.
Getting there...

steven c newman
10-20-2018, 4:31 PM
Ok, cleared a spot on the bench...after the face frame parts were ripped for width
Enough to go under the drawer, and up both sides....will rip the wider sections later...right now, the saw is buried under parts.
Clamped one board for the top's panel and jointed the edge....checked the rest of the edges....looked close enough to glue up..
The only thing holding these three in place IS the glue....but
Added clamps and cauls, anyway. This face is the "good" one, where a microwave oven will sit....because the other face..
Has a knot hole.
Since this is sitting right where I need to work...thought I would just clean up..
And call it a day....maybe. May see about building the webframes....we'll see.

Got a little bit done. Stay tuned..what is with the photos? Did not do anything different, same computer, same OS....same everything....about the third time in the last month or so, that this has happened...is there a reason for this [attachment.....xxxxxxxxx..] as it isn't from my end of the interweb....

steven c newman
10-21-2018, 1:41 AM
Ok....went to the basement...to check on the dryer ( yeah, right..) wound up taking the clamps off the clue up. Set it aside, on top of a stack of parts....marked out for tenons....pieces I had cut earlier were 1" too short....recut 4 more from the leftover 1 x 10. Then mark out the tenons. 1/2" long, by 1/4" thick. Bandsaw to make the cuts. two wound up a bit too fat...Aldi's wide chisel to thin them down. Set up the mortising jig, marked out a mortise. Backsaw to make the starter cuts. The brand new mortise chisel to dig a hole at the back of the slot...then pop the waste out....some had all four mortises done, glue spread....clamped up, and checked for square....then checked the dryer..again.

Was a bit more fun in the shop, than watching a football game...

Tony Zaffuto
10-21-2018, 6:48 AM
Ok....went to the basement...to check on the dryer ( yeah, right..) wound up taking the clamps off the clue up. Set it aside, on top of a stack of parts....marked out for tenons....pieces I had cut earlier were 1" too short....recut 4 more from the leftover 1 x 10. Then mark out the tenons. 1/2" long, by 1/4" thick. Bandsaw to make the cuts. two wound up a bit too fat...Aldi's wide chisel to thin them down. Set up the mortising jig, marked out a mortise. Backsaw to make the starter cuts. The brand new mortise chisel to dig a hole at the back of the slot...then pop the waste out....some had all four mortises done, glue spread....clamped up, and checked for square....then checked the dryer..again.

Was a bit more fun in the shop, than watching a football game...

Always more fun in the shop than a football game. Even if I'm not doing anything at all, it is still more fun.

steven c newman
10-21-2018, 11:10 AM
Ok..try this again....project needed two web frames made...one for the drawer to slide on...one with a kicker for above the drawer. A little show & tell ( I hope)
usual suspects...going to give the NEW Mortise chisel a test run. Backsaw first
About all I need for the cut. Trying to leave the lines. then a chisel to dig a hole..
Then the chisel, powered by a hand, to pop out the waste.
Then a dry fit...
Repeat three more times..
Then glue and clamps, checked for square. Allow to cure a while....remove the clamps, drill some mounting holes..
Had to reclamp this end, then pin things in place..
Ala Norm Abram.
Will try for a "Part 2"...stay tuned..

steven c newman
10-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Ok, Part 2 from last night...dryer wasn't quite done....
Used the Twins to drill a few holes..
Not only for the mounting holes, but to also attach the kicker...
Just needs to be roughly centered. Does not "guide" anything, it is just to keep a drawer from tipping down, when you pull it out a bit far.
While waiting on the dryer to get done ( finally!) I was able to get a start on the second frame, got two mortises done and fitted...need to do the other two. Drill a few more holes. Second frame doesn't really need any kickers..Maybe I can get this into the clamps, today? Stay tuned...because "a little assembly" will be next to be done. Need to cut rebates for the case's back panel....Wards 78? Stanley 45?

steven c newman
10-21-2018, 6:56 PM
Second frame is in the clamps..
Corner blocks have been made, and installed..
Rebates have been run, to house the plywood back
Lay out lines, to show where the parts go, have been done..
Only to find out...not enough of the correct length screws in the shop..:mad:
May have settled on a blank for the drawer front..
Single or double chrome knob? Trip to get screws has been done....awaiting Supper....then maybe head back to the shop?
Stay tuned

steven c newman
10-22-2018, 12:16 AM
Screws have been bought.
And put to use...
hard on this old back...moving things on and off and back on to the bench...
Then back onto the floor...
Cut a couple curves. Now I can get a back put on this thing, and work on the face frame parts. then a pair of doors, and a drawer....then work on the upper unit?
Stay tuned

steven c newman
10-22-2018, 5:09 PM
Normally...the shop is Closed on Mondays.....not today! Shop is Open...film @ 2300 hrs ZULU....

Face frame parts are getting milled, 1/4" Plywood has been bought....already spent 2+ hours in the shop...getting ready to go back there, again....after Supper.

Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
10-22-2018, 11:43 PM
This might take a while....Parts for the face frame were milled..
Had to remove the burn marks..
Rather...Seymour Smith and his Son did...
1/2 laps were cleaned up..
That be a 40+ yr old tablesaw..8" blade.
After a trips to Blue Borg, to buy the plywood, back is now installed. Clamps to pull things into alignment...
Didn't want to work on the face frame install like this, so...

Thin scraps to cover the tool well. As for some that think they NEED a huge shop, to do any work in....what you see, is what I have for a shop.
Will try to install the face frame parts Tuesday.....screws with counter-bored holes..then matching grain plugs to fill the holes.
Although, just to make Simon "happy", there MAY be some sawdust & glue in use...
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
10-23-2018, 2:33 PM
Ok, after Lunch had settled...I went to the shop, and got the frame installed...
Counter-bored holes, pilot holes for the screws...drill for each step....Clamps to pull things to where they need to be....Glue as needed. letting this sit a while, waiting on glue to dry..

Also milled a bunch of plugs into the scrap I cut out from the bottom rail...figure the grain should match?
And didn't scorch any. Bit did chew one or two up..but this is the ends to go into the holes, anyway. Tools?
Flat bladed screwdriver to pop the plug loose, add a dab of glue to the narrow end, hammer the plug into place..
And let the glue dry a while...as i install the other 18 plugs....and get the trimmer tools out..
Wide chisel, usually bevel down, to pop off the waste....block plane to flush the plug...
Needs a bit of sanding...Waiting on glue to dry on the other plugs right now.

Drawer front: Blank was long enough...just not tall enough..
When I can get a few clamps..this will be the next glue-up....

Sitting here, picking dried glue off me fingers....stay tuned...may go back to the shop..after Supper?

steven c newman
10-23-2018, 7:14 PM
Clamps came off...case is off the bench!....All plugs are trimmed flush....some are a bit hard to see...now
Last I looked, there were 3 plugs in this area....Round-over bit was run along all hard corners, and across the feet..
White plastic pads were nailed on...top and other places saw not only the sanders, and the router..they also saw this thing..
Top is looking better?
Side view?
So..clamps came off..but where did they go?
Ok...Pine is merely a caul....needed to flatten out a spot...Finish to be used?
Front view ..
Tomorrow I can start work on a drawer.....need to pick up another oak plank for parts for the doors....Flat panels in a frame for each door. Then use boards set aside for the topper...about another week of work? had enough fun for one day....stay tuned, tomorrow I might actually get something done....

steven c newman
10-24-2018, 2:58 AM
IF that "billy club" handle on the No. 82 looked like something else...
That is because the Stanley No. 70 has almost the same exact handle....happens to be stained red on this one. The #70 can be pulled along glue joints...dried glue will not bother it. It also makes short work of those annoying bar code stickers...
Scraper seems to be sharpened up about right....was making some nice shavings...

steven c newman
10-24-2018, 8:50 PM
Ok, started out today with this being cleaned out..
Told the Boss I could bring up the cabinet..IF the old one was empty and moved away...to someplace else.....like a bloody bomb hit the Kitchen....still not quite done.

Woodworking today? Well that drawer front came out of the clamps..got one edge jointed....then I ripped the other edge to get close to final width....
may have found something this fancy plane could do...then the ends were cut for square, and a test fit was done
Will tweak the fit, when the drawer is finished....tried a few planes to smooth that face.....62 was chattering worse than the #3c....beltsander wasn't much help, either....finally..
#82 cleaned things up. Someday, I will get the hang of doing these things...
I hate 1/2 blind dovetails.....working on a system to make them a little easier....still a work in progress...
Got the other corner done, somehow...then a dry fit..
Need to plough a groove for the bottom of the drawer. Cut dados for the back to sit in..and make the back....I did get the Stanley 45 switched over from rebate plane to Plough plane...less than ten minutes to do...
Will need a jig to hold things still long enough to do the grooves....might even switch the 45 over to Dado plane...after the gooves are done..

Stay tuned
Until the handles arrive, I don't want to slide this all the way...might be a little rough pulling it back out...

steven c newman
10-25-2018, 5:48 PM
Grooves were made, today
Front and both side....changed the Stanley 45 to a dado plane..
Make the dados..
Pilot holes were drilled..
And countersunk..
A back was cut to size..and a panel for the drawer's bottom
Glue, screws, clamps and cauls
Sides were checked for square, then a row of screws across the back edge..two moe clamps were added to the cauls...drawer was then stashed out of the way, to cure
Then hauled the last of the Oak I have on-hand to the shop....to get a start on making a topper, and two doors..
Stay tuned...trying to do a "cut list" for what I need, out of what I got.....

steven c newman
10-26-2018, 12:19 PM
Cut List? Well, I had to find out a few sizes, and mark those on the Plans..
Like the rough opening for the doors...how long of a 3/4" by 9" slab should be...and,,
And a size needed for the sides of the topper...then haul all the Oak I have left to the shop..
Slab is a 1 x 12...and has a crack started at one end....will make this the "cut-off" part..
Have these three @ 3/4" x 6-1/2" ( bench is 5' long, BTW) and a pair of 3/8" thick boards..
May get used for the flat panels for the doors.
After supper last night,,fired up the tablesaw....
Ok..that was fun...It is also 9" wide. Piece still on the saw is that cut-off...may find a use for it, some day.

Cut one of the 1 x 6s into a pair for the sides of the topper...6-1/2"...when I need 8" Cut a third piece the same length..then ripped it down for a few 2" wide strips..
Then glued up a pair of blanks..
This one didn't even need a caul...the other blank only needed one caul....Ripped a bunch of parts at 2" wide....will use those for the frames of the doors....will see how today goes....
BTW, the drawer needed a "little off the top" at one corner...then it slid right in. A snug fit...will tune it a bit..after the knobs are installed..

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
10-26-2018, 8:07 PM
Ok...at least the drawer fits..
I did get all 4 stiles made...test fitted a couple, even...
Needed to find the center, then make the 4 rails to length....stock I had for the rails was 4/4 not 3/4....had to remove the excess..
Stiles were planed to match each other...then the rails were done as well..needed grooves made...was easier to grab the old plough plane, than reset the Stanley 45...
This plane makes curly shavings..instead of stringy ones..
Only had 8 grooves to mill, anyway..( well..9, after I messed up a tenon cut..)
Hmm, tenons...used the bandsaw jig...
I also wanted haunched tenons...
But..it does help IF there is a tenon to haunch..
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
10-26-2018, 8:17 PM
Must have been getting tired...was already sore from the plough plane..went to mill one more haunch...
hate when that happens....had to go back find a replacement piece, mill it for thickness length and width....then run that plough plane again...
At least it was a short piece....then mark and cut new tenons...making sure I made the correct cuts, this time.
Got out the mortise jig....I also measured for the flat panel I will need....and marked things for that. it will need a glue up to make the panel just a bit ( 2") wider. Swept the floor..
The entire shop floor, at that..
I figure these two panels can sit there..until I need the clamps..
Legs were cramping..mistakes were starting...time to stop for the day....have plenty of time tomorrow...
Stay tuned ( boring anyone?)

steven c newman
10-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Had a late night, last night...those two panels are now out of the clamps....took one upstairs to the kitchen...needed to locate where the mid shelf was to go....mid shelf was glued up.

Sizes marked for the door panels.
So...today's check list?
Remove clamps from the glue up of the shelf..done.
Cut the thin pieces for the door panels to length, match the grain patterns, joint the matching edges....glue, clamps, and cauls...set the two panels aside, wait on the glue to cure..done did..
Square the ends of the two topper sides....rip for width of 8".....done....mid shelf was also ripped to 8"....will square the ends when I get a final length.

Dry fitted two sides to the top shelf...need to lay out for a few counter bored screw holes ( more plugs..) and lay out the socket for the mid shelf's sliding dovetails....and mill those.

Just a thought...wonder how long Norm would need to do this? And how long a video would be needed..?

Will try to complete the check list today...includes chopping 8 mortises, to build the door frames....Need to go out and buy some hinges, and some knobs(4 each) and take the Boss to the store....

steven c newman
10-27-2018, 8:39 PM
Pictures?
Sides and the shelf have been squared on the ends. And all three have been ripped to 8" width...
Chopped 8 mortises...enough to assemble ( dry fit) both door frames..
Thin boards have been cut for length, edges jointed for a glue up..
dry fit. Clamped and set aside to dry
After the glue has cured enough...squared the ends, laid a frame over one panel, marked the panel for width needed, ripped the excess off...and cleaned the glue joint...
Dry fitted to the frame...needed to bevel the edges, to get into the 1/4" wide grooves..
This is the inside of this door, BTW...

More to show..stay tuned..

steven c newman
10-27-2018, 8:51 PM
Mortise tools?
Mallet is a rawhide one....narex seemed to like it better...had to trim one tenon....was a little lop-sided...peeled the excess with a chin-powered chisel
usual luck clamping up doors...needed a lot of cauls..
To keep the frame flat....set this aside..assemble the second one
Panels needed a bevel run around all the edges. inside and out....used a smaller jack plane for that
No. 11, Junior Jack. Made a mess on the floor, again..
Just from cutting bevels.
395602Hinges were picked up today
and knobs and a few washers to back them up. Also got a few cheap brushes,,to apply stain with...

Afraid not much else got done....maybe tomorrow?

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
10-28-2018, 1:52 AM
Now have the upper part of this project assembled...
And one door came out of the clamps without any "issues"..
The other door was having issues, still in the clamps, while the "fix" cures.
Shelf sits in sliding dovetails...
And the top uses counter-bored screws. Need to add a back, between the two shelves.
Might be getting close to the "Finish Line"?

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
10-28-2018, 7:35 PM
Hid out in the shop this afternoon ( missed the Hail Storm) and tried to get this project to the finishing stage..
Doors installed. Topper is done....and attached to the base via cleats. There is a plywood panel sitting in this..
I did use a chisel...to square the corners with..
All counter-bores have been plugged..
Vise keeps the block from walking around when the cutter hits it....
PIP ?
had since sanded what needed sanded...and added a coat of "Weathered Oak" stain....letting that dry ( until it stops stinking the shop up) then a coat or two of Amber shellac....will post after that.

Stay tuned...still a bit to go....may have this "delivered" by Thursday?

steven c newman
10-29-2018, 12:51 AM
Has a coat of the (gray) Weathered Oak Stain...and a coat of Amber Shellac....
Almost done...

steven c newman
10-29-2018, 4:59 PM
Second coat of shellac went on this afternoon....The Boss has already started moving things around in the house, getting ready for this thing to arrive in the Kitchen....may try to bring it upstairs after the second coat has finished drying......rub out with an old T-shirt, too.

Will add the catches under the shelf, to hold the doors closed....maybe when it comes upstairs. other than that..woodworking part of the Project is done..finally.

Can then take an "inventory" of the leftovers....and see what could be built with them...and avoid that Downtime Syndrome.....

Thanks for following along...

steven c newman
10-30-2018, 3:26 PM
Moving day, today...zero help..

Topper and the drawer came upstairs first. I also had a table in the foyer to move elsewhere....and then move Big & Ugly Cabinet to the foyer....( boot locker?) then..one step at a time..arms and a knee to lift the case up one step, I take a step, repeat until the case is upstairs and on the kitchen floor....Breaktime! Tried to install the catches, while it was in the shop...one went on, no problem. Second one fell apart when the package was opened...trashed that.

Once the case was sitting in the kitchen...I re-attached the topper, and slid the drawer into place..
Fancy drawer joint?
Floor where Big & Ugly used to reside..
Old flooring will have to be fixed...when we can get to it..for now?
She wanted a smaller "footprint" to allow them wider bodies a little more room to walk through..
Already started to load this thing up..
Hopefully this is the last of the BIG projects for this year...back is sore, time to take a break for a day...
Thanks again, for following along...

steven c newman
11-01-2018, 6:38 PM
10 working days to build....used all the lessons learned from building two Stepback Cupboards earlier this year. Made things go a little easier.

Used the sizes listed in the catalog's item....at least mine isn't a "Flat Pack" ugly thing? The main difference between mine and that other one...I made a single, wide drawer....instead of a pair of "cubbyholes".

Sized the topper for a nice fit around the Microwave Oven...had to take measurements to confirm it would indeed FIT. Right now...the Boss LOVES it. Hope the next Project she wants is a little smaller.....