PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the good feeling to come

Terry Stapleton
11-28-2005, 3:36 AM
In about two weeks, I'm planning to retire. I've taught 7th grade language arts for 30+ years and thought it might be nice to try something else for a change. My all-time favorite line (borrowed from a retired friend) is "Today I'm going to do what Terry wants to do." Any advice for me for when I begin this new phase of my life?

Terry :)

John Bailey
11-28-2005, 4:48 AM
Terry,

Congratulations from a new retired also. I think you nailed it!! Do what you want. I would add though, do something, don't just sit. I would also get rid of your TV and start doing things.

John

Jim Becker
11-28-2005, 7:06 AM
"Today I'm going to do what Terry wants to do." Any advice for me for when I begin this new phase of my life?

My advise is to follow your own advice...enjoy yourself. Be active. And John makes a good point...keep "the tube" for special occasions rather than making it an occupation.

Jim DeLaney
11-28-2005, 7:35 AM
..."Today I'm going to do what Terry wants to do." Any advice for me for when I begin this new phase of my life?
Terry :)

Your advice to yourself pretty much nails it. The only other advice I'd have is to throw your alarm clock away. You won't be needing it any more.

My wife and I have been retired for just over a year, now, and we're loving it. The novelty of "Do whatever you want to do - whenever you want to do it." hasn't worn off yet, and it's great.

Congrats on your upcoming 'freedom from a job!'

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2005, 8:20 AM
First off......Nice pre-gloat!

2ndly...........as others stated.........do what you want.........when you want...throw away the alarm clocks and the calendars............

3rdly.........when the gloat becomes official..........we need pictures of you with the lamp shade on your head at your retirement party!

Congrats!

Jeff Sudmeier
11-28-2005, 8:33 AM
As all others have said, do what you want! You have done what others want for too long.

A lot of people enjoy volunteering for something they belive in...

Kent Cori
11-28-2005, 9:15 AM
Congratulations Terry on your retirement and what I suspect has been an outstanding career. As all the others have said, follow your own advice which I plan to steal from you when I retire.

I'm about 8 years from my planned retirement and I am already developing interests to take the place of work when that day comes. Woodworking is obviously my primary hobby interest but I have a couple of others as well including golf. Hopefully, by the time I do pull the pin I'll have some grandkids to spoil. All I know is that I want to have something to look forward to each day when I wake up and watching Oprah isn't it. :eek:

Have fun the next two weeks, celebrate this phase of your life and look forward to the next!

Scott Donley
11-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Congratulations Terry , One trap to watch out for is after so many years of HAVING to get something done it gets real easy to say to yourself " I can do it later" I found myself taking weeks to get projects that needed done that I use to have to do in a weekend. So, if you run out of things to do, I have a rather long list of things I need to catch up on and could always use some help :) Have FUN !!

Lee DeRaud
11-28-2005, 1:47 PM
One trap to watch out for is after so many years of HAVING to get something done it gets real easy to say to yourself " I can do it later" I found myself taking weeks to get projects that needed done that I use to have to do in a weekend.And it's always the day-to-day stuff that has to get done. How the heck did I ever keep up with this stuff when I was working full-time?!?

Pam Niedermayer
11-28-2005, 2:59 PM
It's the "work expands to fit the time available" adage.

Pam

Ted Shrader
11-28-2005, 3:10 PM
Terry -

What I have heard from others - You don't really retire, you just do different things. If you don't, you won't be around long. Just look for other things that interest you and keep as busy as you like (doing the things you like).

Having just dropped my retirement letter today for a year from now . . . . will be interested in your input after you have tried it for a while.

Ted

Terry Stapleton
11-28-2005, 6:53 PM
The advice was just what I needed. I think I am really going to enjoy retirement. At one time, I had hopes that I would find a woodworker near me to help me out. However, I've been looking and learning in here for a couple of years, and I've come to realize that the Creek offers more than that. Probably nearly all of you at one time or another have helped me decide on the purchase of a plane, chisel, etc. I know just the place to come whenever I get stuck. I've assembled a list of projects and got the shop fairly well set up, so I am ready to go. Thanks for all of the help.

Terry

Tom Stovell
11-28-2005, 11:10 PM
My father has told me for years that retirement is 'like having 6 Saturdays and a Sunday'. To that end I've decide that when I retire I'm going to burn all my clothes and buy 8 bathrobes. That will be one for each day of the week and a special one for when guest come by.

Good luck with the rest of your life!

Tom

Mike Henderson
11-29-2005, 7:13 PM
As someone who retired a couple of years ago, I'd offer the following advice.

First, beware the "vacation syndrome". While it might sound nice to have nothing that you have to do, that can quickly lead to a feeling of lack or purpose in your life. You need to find something that you enjoy and that requires activity. Only you can decide what that is – but make it something that you look forward to doing each morning when you get up. Some people have suggested volunteering and that is an excellent activity for some.

Second, make sure you develop new friends - you may find that your old professional friends no longer have an interest in maintaining the relationship. I don't know how the teaching profession is, but in many fields, the people who are actively involved don’t have time to maintain a relationship with someone who is out of the field. Lunch is allocated for business relationships where each person can help the other. Additionally, you may find that you no longer have a lot to talk about since your interests are so different now.

But you can find new friends in your new activities and interest.

Good luck in your retirement. Retirement can be a time of growth and personal satisfaction beyond anything you have experienced up to now - it’s all in how we approach it.

Mike