PDA

View Full Version : The Nefarious Lock Miter

Warren Wilson
10-16-2018, 2:35 PM
Having struggled for many years using a lousy router table with dodgy height adjustment and many test cuts per setup, I am on the verge of buying a Jess-Em lift with the table top and fence.

That has set me pondering also buying a lock miter router bit, as previously this would have been nigh impossible to set up.

I make quite a few miter-style joints, either reinforcing them with keys or splines (or not -- depending on the size and anticipated use), so I am only interested for the pleasure of novelty.

With all the micro-adjustment available in the lift / fence system of a quality router table/lift, does it seem I am still just pursuing frustration in this direction?

Rick Potter
10-16-2018, 3:00 PM
Try going to the Infinity tools website. Look up their video on lock miter bits and the jig they sell for setting it up (Invented by a Creeker).

Very informative.

Rod Sheridan
10-16-2018, 3:41 PM
I can't comment on the router bit, however I use a glue joint cutter in the shaper for that and find that it works very well.

I normally use that joint for leg glue-ups for Arts and Crafts furniture.........Rod.

Mike Cutler
10-16-2018, 4:01 PM
The lock miter gives people fits to set up. Once you "figure it out" though, it's pretty easy.
I have the Infinity Lock miter setup jig. It will get you very close. Close enough actually. A dial indicator and a vernier caliper will get you the rest of the way. I used the dial indicator method for a long time before I saw the Infinity jig.
I've never made an end grain joint with it. I've only ever used it for edge joints like Rod.

George Bokros
10-16-2018, 4:11 PM
Try going to the Infinity tools website. Look up their video on lock miter bits and the jig they sell for setting it up (Invented by a Creeker).

Very informative.

And that set up jig works. I set my bit up on the first try, I was amazed.

ChrisA Edwards
10-16-2018, 4:24 PM
With the Jessum lift, Infinity Jig and router bit, it'll take you about 2 or 3 test cuts and then you'll be in production making beautiful lock miter joints.

The micro adjust makes it so easy.