PDA

View Full Version : Post-project Downtime?

steven c newman
10-16-2018, 1:05 PM
Well, that LARGE project is completed, and out of the shop.....now what? Maybe a week or so vacay from sawdust making?:rolleyes:

Almost feels like I have been "laid off".....I suppose I could sharpen a few things up...put some of the toys..er..tools away....maybe look for a few ideas as to what to build next?

How does everyone else handle those times between projects? :confused:

Andrew Seemann
10-16-2018, 1:19 PM
I usually do a "shop improvement" project between large projects. Part of that is to prevent myself from getting caught up in doing nothing but shop improvements; I force myself to space then out between real projects. Adding a door to a cabinet, making a jig, someday actually putting finish on my Frid bench, restoring a garage sale plane, that is the sort of thing. The tools are always put away at end of each day, but I probably should do some sharpening. That I seem to always put off until I actually need the tool.

Zach Dillinger
10-16-2018, 1:25 PM
I like to keep my shop as clean as possible, so I almost always go into shop deep clean mode when I've finished a piece. I'm pretty good about maintaining order, putting tools away, and keeping the floor swept while in progress, but I like to pull the benches out, give everything a good sweep, knock down any dust or cobwebs, properly sharpen the tools that I've used, etc. Very often, while working on something, I write down notes of little ideas for the shop, a more efficient way to do a task, a better way to organize, little jokes, philosophy, etc.. Sometimes these notes make sense and are actionable when I have down time, other times the context is lost and they are pretty much meaningless. Sometimes I derive articles or books from those notes.

Having just finished a clock project for publication, I immediately went into deep clean mode and am in the process of organizing and upgrading my much-ignored shop loft space. It will become my turning studio once the insulation is finished, with my lathes, tools, etc. up there and out of the way of my main bench area but still easily accessible.

steven c newman
10-16-2018, 4:41 PM
Well...downtime will be short-lived....going to see about a load of Oak boards tomorrow.....Boss has seen a picture of what she wants....
But done in Oak.....and NO PAINT.
So...I need a couple sheets of paper, a straightedge, and a pencil.....and see about drawing up a "Plan" of some sort...

Osvaldo Cristo
10-16-2018, 9:08 PM
When I just finished a series of the biggest project in my life 25 years ago (ceilings, flooring, staircases, lots and lots of cabinets, large library, beds, tables, garden furniture, and lots of other smaller stuff for our then new home) I simply gave me a break... three or four years! :D

Steve Kaminska
10-17-2018, 3:06 AM
All of the above! After a major project, a thorough shop cleaning is usually necessary. Also, I find at least 2 or 3 "shop improvement" projects I can do to make my life easier next time around. A few nights of drinking a beer and basking in the glory of my recent successful endeavors tends to help get the gears properly lubricated for the next project.

But I tend to have 3 or 4 projects going at once, usually 1 major, and 2 minor, so getting one done does not necessarily mean its time to relax!

glenn bradley
10-17-2018, 8:23 AM
I do clean-up, sharpening, clean cutters, re-org and build that shop fixture that has been waiting for me to have time to get to it. Oh! How about cull the shorts bin? Empty the dust collection bins, clean filters, wax machine surfaces and do general PM.

Derek Cohen
10-17-2018, 8:40 AM
I am currently cleaning up the shop. I have too many hand tools and it is time to let the ones go that do not get used. Cleaned up and sold a bunch, including a Stanley #45 and Stanley #112. Time to sharpen bandsaw blades and backsaws, and to flatten the bench.

Time to plan and design the next few projects: Coffee table wedding present for a nephew, sewing table for my wife.

Regards from Perth

Derek

William Fretwell
10-17-2018, 9:25 AM
I always have several things going so real down time never seems to exist and that’s just in the shop! The rest of my life takes a huge toll on shop time!
Getting out the shop vac and cleaning up is therapeutic, looking at my maple board pile 3 ft high and 12 ft long or 7 tons of rough cut poplar stimulate the mind.
I’m running out of cherry which instills a sense of panic, a visit to my local saw mill to watch hundreds of board feet milled did not help as every foot was sold already!
So there you have it, between projects I think about wood, plan my designs, and try not to buy more tools.

A local yacht club wanted me to build a wood mantle for the club house large brick fireplace. A local barn being taken down had great timbers so I had one huge timber delivered for a great rustic fireplace. Then they found a huge mantle at the ‘Re-Store’ and had someone install it with 20 construction screws at 45 degrees into the brick! So now have to design a new ‘thing’ with this timber that needs 4 guys to move it! Ideas please! In England it was common to use ships timbers to build houses.

Dan Hulbert
10-17-2018, 2:11 PM
Downtime is for cleanup and a round of sharpening. I usually find another shop project in the process.

Derek Cohen
10-20-2018, 8:30 AM
I brought out my 36" Dreadnought today to re-surface my bench. I built this plane a few years ago with a 3" wide Berg blade. It is a monster plane which, although technically a cooper's plane, I added handles so that it may be pushed. It is big and heavy, and the momentum carries it through everything.

https://i.postimg.cc/sxKKSbgH/D2a.jpg

Here it is with a 24" long Veritas #7.

https://i.postimg.cc/T2ctZ5Jj/D1a.jpg

The top is now flat in all directions ...

https://i.postimg.cc/wvXwx18p/D5a.jpg

The leg vise has been cleaned up as well (the top was getting chewed up) ...

https://i.postimg.cc/J46PhwgG/D6a.jpg

.. and there were several holes and torn surfaces that needed to be filled ...

https://i.postimg.cc/0j9cz9PJ/D7a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Eisenhauer
10-20-2018, 10:46 AM
The Dreadnaught looks to be a wood monster Derek. What do you recon it weighs?

Derek Cohen
10-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Hi David

It weighs 5 Kg, which is 11 lbs.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
10-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Most recently my after project time was spent making a handle for a chisel, cleaning up scrap pieces of wood to see which should be firewood. Filled up the tank of the shop vac. The bench was cleared for the next project. A bit more clean up and rearranging the shop, then the next project can begin.

jtk

Matt Lau
10-22-2018, 4:27 PM
Hi David

It weighs 5 Kg, which is 11 lbs.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek is the main reason why I think all Aussie's are giant, muscled up, fire breathing Macguyver's.
That, and foster's commercials.

Derek Cohen
10-23-2018, 6:22 AM
Derek is the main reason why I think all Aussie's are giant, muscled up, fire breathing Macguyver's.
That, and foster's commercials.

Yeah, don't mess with me!

:D

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Eisenhauer
10-23-2018, 7:53 AM
You have to respect a man that shoves the dreaded Dreadnaught around, don't you? I bow to the Dreadnaught Master.

steven c newman
10-29-2018, 6:51 PM
Hmmmp...well, my latest project is done....I cleared the top of the bench...and scrubbed it down a bit..
Using this Stanley #70...
It doesn't bother it in the least if a nail or other pieces of metal are found...usually, it just drags them right out...Had an issue down around a couple knots
Issue resolved. Not sure IF there is enough room to run the next plane around..
Stanley No.8 Type 7. let alone the other big jointer..
Stanley No. 31....looks HUGE? But,
Only 24" long, and a 2-3/8" wide iron....not much difference from the #8..
Been putting away the toys..er....TOOLS as I go...have an inventory to do...of all the leftovers of Oak and Pine....might be a small project in there..somewhere.

After a big case was solved, Sherlock Holmes would go to his 7% Solution....hope I don't get that bad....

Will update as things go...Project will get delivered this week..maybe tomorrow? Then the "Down Time Doldrums" can set in, again...

Aaron Rosenthal
10-29-2018, 8:43 PM
I'm half way through a project but the rains have started - Canadian side of the Pacific Northwest and I learned the hard way to bring the portable tools inside.
I'll be rust abating the mortiser, jointer and bandsaw, and cleaning up.
Then it's off to the lumber yard for some pieces to make a small work bench to finish my project, in my basement.

steven c newman
10-31-2018, 5:25 PM
Spent most of the other day....flattening the top of the bench.....found two small finish nails.....unable to grab a hold of them.....drove both down and out of sight....Top of the bench looked a bit "naked"....applied a coat of Amber Shellac...since the can was still out, and as was the brush. Been putting away tools ever since. Have a "junker" plane I could restore, the next time I wander to the shop

Grandson has been hinting about needing a new bedframe......unless he finds one he likes...guess who gets to build one that he does like.....

With all the rain this week......there may be a small creek running across the shop floor....we do live on a hillside...but the shop is in an old "fieldstone walls" basement....even still has the old coal bunker room. May make working down there a bit of a problem, until the weather/ground dries off. Or the ground freezes.

Taking a couple days off, to unwind from the last project....that was a bit more intense than I usually do....10 days? Need a bit of time to recharge...ME.

steven c newman
10-31-2018, 8:56 PM
Bench, after the shellac
While some toys have been put away..
had to get one drill back out. Have a plugged up dog hole....dog is jammed solid, can't even drive it on through. Decided to just drill a new hole..
PEXTO 8012, 12" sweep, Samson chuck...

steven c newman
11-01-2018, 5:52 PM
Since this is about what one does between projects......Normally, I just put everything back where they belong....sharpen tools as need be...
Yes, this is a Stanley chisel...a Stanley Defiance 1-1/2" wide socket chisel...have it stropped at the moment.

IF there is an old, neglected plane in the shop..
Since I have the "free time"...I can restore one to either like new, or even better than new.

Maybe set out what Pine, Oak, and other scraps I have left over...and look at a small project to use them up in.....

Right now, with all the rain we've had around here..there is a small creek running across the shop floor...heading towards the floor drain. Maybe when things dry out, eh?

Stay tuned, may do a photo layout of what I do to rehab a plane.....and NO, it does not take "Hours and hours", or as some think ...Weeks....Just involves getting one's hands dirty ( HORRORS!) and maybe a little elbow grease. Normal pace? From when a plane arrives at the shop....3-4 hours total. with one hour, maybe, spent on the iron...maybe a half hour on the sole?

So, stay tuned, and watch the rehab?

steven c newman
11-02-2018, 11:18 AM
Hope the floor dries before too much longer..
waiting on a glue-up to cure, right now...
Iron has been checked for square...
And it's back has been flattened...
Chipbreaker's "curve" was too flat, wasn't making any contact with the iron....Hammer and the end vise, "tap" down onto the curve, watching to keep it straight across...no cambers for this plane.
About an inch below the top of the slot, iron was bent a bit. Same hammer to "flatten" out the curve.
Jig was set to 25 degree..
Went from a coarse oil stone (Carb....?) to this 600 grit Medium India....then a 1000 grit oil stone.....then the green charged leather belt strop...
Face of the frog is now flat. Frog rests on a pair of rails, on the sides. and on the front edge....have both of those "de-painted" ( thick, lumpy Japanning)
Matching seats in the base casting were wire cup brushed clean, down to bare metal....frog should sit better, now..
Stay tuned..I did spend 2 hours in the shop, last night...

steven c newman
11-02-2018, 11:36 AM
About 1962 or so..Stanley was tired of hearing complaints about the "Whale Tail" lateral levers.:rolleyes:..so, Stanley began to crimp them down..;)

For their secondary lines of planes.....makes this "Francken-Plane " a type 20 style.:confused:

Sole was close to flat...didn't get much use, I guess.:rolleyes:...took about 5 minutes or so to get this far..
About the same for the sides...
Sides do have a slight "toe-in" at the top.....not worried about it, as this won't be a "Chutting Plane".:rolleyes:
Bolts were wire wheeled clean...
To save me fingers, and keep these from going Airborne....a pair of Visegrips held on. I do have a Brass version, if I don't like the steel wheel. Wanted the "low" knob for an older #3 plane. Knob in the picture is a bit closer to a type 20....without being a black plastic thingy..:mad:
Need to change wire wheel on the drill press....cup brush has trouble along the inside corners....need that last bit of paint removed. Then tape off what I don't want painted. then a few coat of Rustoleum semi-gloss black...to cover the de-rusted bare metal. iron is sharp, chipbreaker mated to it, frog tuned up, one handle being repaired. hardware cleaned up. Not bad for 2 hours? :rolleyes: And two wet shoes..:mad:

David Eisenhauer
11-02-2018, 3:55 PM
What is your technique for flattening the frog surfaces please?

steven c newman
11-02-2018, 4:31 PM
That 6" disc. just about worn down to a very fine grit....find I can do the entire face of a frog. Same with the seats on the frog.

David Eisenhauer
11-02-2018, 6:50 PM
Thanks for the info Steven C.

steven c newman
11-03-2018, 7:31 PM
Plane is back in operation...
Found a better handle for the back end. There is a tall knob out in front
Went with the brass wheel, instead of the steel one.
Same Oak test track as at the start of the rehab....
And, one of Pine....Might just be a keeper?

Jon Shank
11-03-2018, 9:02 PM
Same thing plus some wood turning. I give the shop a general cleaning. All tools that came out get whatever cleaning and sharpening they need and go back to their allotted place (kind of a mix of storage, planning on sorting it out more, ummmm soonish). And I'm also a wood turner, which gets done anytime but when I don't have a major project going whether woodworking or wood turning I'll take some time to do quick fun, immediate gratification turnings. Making scraps into mushrooms or christmas ornaments, etc, quick fun stuff. And if there's something that needs doing shopwise I'll try to take care of it whether it's flattening the bench, building a new jig/shooting board/bench hook/tool storage/whatnot that's worn out or needs to be made.

Jon

steven c newman
11-04-2018, 9:58 PM
Inventory of the Oak Leftovers has been done. May do one for the pine, as well. May see what I can build out of the left over pieces.....be at least something to do....for a while?

There are a couple planes in need of the sharpening stuff...been a few projects for them...might be getting a tad dull, by now? have the supplies to do the sharpening in the shop, now..

steven c newman
11-07-2018, 1:07 PM
The Boss has hinted she wants a new End Table....as the old one is getting a bit beat up....it was just Pallet Wood Oak. Waiting on some lumber, and more "directions" as to what kind of table she wants.

Leftovers? Small, fancy, Oak Boxes might be in order? Once other business is completed this week, I may start back up in the shop..

steven c newman
11-10-2018, 1:17 PM
Finished up the sharpening on the old Jack plane. Still has a camber to it, back is flat, with a slight back bevel. Sharpened to 2,000 grit, then stropped. Also honed a couple chisels.

WR #62 to flatten the plane's sole, and clean the sides a bit. Wedge was cleaned up a bit, too.

Have been resawing some Oak scraps, lately. Have a couple 1/2" panels sitting in some clamps....waiting on the glue to cure.....Then I can size them to match each other....and size two solid end panels to match. Might even get a start on some frames for a Frame & Panel build....

Business of the past week has been concluded...
Old van has been traded off for this one. There goes the "Tool Budget" for the next few years.