PDA

View Full Version : Strange light bulb experience

Ron Citerone
10-16-2018, 7:30 AM
OK, so I am reading in bed before dozing off like I often do. I have a small lamp on the night stand next to my bed which I have owned for 30 years. It has one of those shades that hold onto the bulb.

Suddenly, without me touching it, the bulb EXPLODES! Hot glass goes flying all over the bed and floor. Some small hot pieces landed on my arm, but I shook them off before I got burned Hot glass burned small holes in my sheets and a few bigger pieces burned/melted my carpet with spots the size of a pencil eraser. No warning it just happened.

Strangest thing!

Matt Day
10-16-2018, 7:47 AM
Wow, that surely was a surprise!

What type of bulb?

Bill Carey
10-16-2018, 7:58 AM
very weird. Nothing like a shot of adrenalin right before trying falling asleep, huh?

Jim Becker
10-16-2018, 9:03 AM
Sounds like it was actually fortuitous that you were right there when it happened!

Time and heat combined with the pressure of the shade mount likely took advantage of a weakness in the bulb.

Jim Koepke
10-16-2018, 11:09 AM
That sounds like something out of one of the currently popular ghost hunting or haunting TV programs.

What type of bulb?

+1 on what Matt asked.

jtk

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2018, 11:51 AM
Is the bathroom nearby?

Bill Orbine
10-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Maybe you had a power surge.

Ron Citerone
10-16-2018, 5:16 PM
It was an incadadescent bulb.

I did think that there was possibly a power surge. In any event, I am tossing the lamp and going to look for a replacement.

We take electric things for granted, but things can happen!

John K Jordan
10-16-2018, 7:03 PM
It was an incadadescent bulb.
I did think that there was possibly a power surge. In any event, I am tossing the lamp and going to look for a replacement.
We take electric things for granted, but things can happen!

Yikes, that's one I've never experienced or even heard about.

One thing you might consider for the nightstand is a lamp with a dimmer. We've been using lamps with dimmers at the bed and elsewhere for decades now. I usually find a lower level light better. An advantage is bulbs powered with a lower than design voltage seldom if ever burn out. And at a lower voltage I imagine the chance of a repeat of the exploding bulb experience would be infinitesimal.

JKJ

Tom M King
10-16-2018, 7:10 PM
Some LED bulbs come with a plastic safety cover over the globe.

My Mother had a lightning strike very near her house some years ago. It exploded every light bulb in the house, whether it was turned on, or not.

Osvaldo Cristo
10-16-2018, 9:27 PM
OK, so I am reading in bed before dozing off like I often do. I have a small lamp on the night stand next to my bed which I have owned for 30 years. It has one of those shades that hold onto the bulb.

Suddenly, without me touching it, the bulb EXPLODES! Hot glass goes flying all over the bed and floor. Some small hot pieces landed on my arm, but I shook them off before I got burned Hot glass burned small holes in my sheets and a few bigger pieces burned/melted my carpet with spots the size of a pencil eraser. No warning it just happened.

Strangest thing!

Hope no more than your underpants (pijamas?) was lost. :D:D

Regards,