PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a cutting board

Jim Baker
07-01-2003, 6:46 PM
A coworker has asked me to repair a maple cutting board that has split. It isn't anything fancy but it has personal value because they received it as a wedding gift from a significant person in their lives 27 years ago. It is made of 1" wide strips glued together. The glue joint between 2 sections has failed. It should be simple to repair - joint both halves, biscuit and glue it, and sand it back smooth.

What glue have you found to work well for cutting boards that take daily use and abuse?

Steve Clardy
07-01-2003, 6:52 PM
all the way. Thats all I use. They do make a titebond2 that is water proof also. Steve

Jim Becker
07-01-2003, 7:41 PM
What glue have you found to work well for cutting boards that take daily use and abuse?

I recommend Titebond II (or similar type 2 PVA from the manufacturer of your choice). Type II PVA is water resistant after curing which is important for something that will occasionally get washed. Regular Titebond will soften if it gets wet.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-02-2003, 9:50 AM
I have made or overseen the making of dozens of cutting boards. Never have a failure when using Titebond II.