PDA

View Full Version : A couple of really ugly tables

Dan Friedrichs
10-14-2018, 9:50 PM
I had a bunch of walnut sapwood that I felt bad throwing out.

Hence, a couple of really ugly tables!

The legs on the long table have a live-edge front, although it's hard to see given their size.

Mel Fulks
10-14-2018, 10:15 PM
The long one is nice! And the design of the one that could be called ugly can be blamed on the motel furniture people!

Michael Clobes
10-15-2018, 5:57 AM
I like the round one too if you added a ring made with maple around the bottom. Say 1-2" up from the bottom.

Jim Becker
10-15-2018, 9:30 AM
I do not consider any of these "ugly". They might not be to some folks' taste, but they are well executed for their given design. Very nice work!

Frederick Skelly
10-15-2018, 9:47 AM
I do not consider any of these "ugly". They might not be to some folks' taste, but they are well executed for their given design. Very nice work!

+1. I especially like the contrast on the round one.

Dan, can you please describe how you attached the legs to (both) these tables?

Art Mann
10-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Nice use of sub optimal material!

Dan Friedrichs
10-15-2018, 7:51 PM
Dan, can you please describe how you attached the legs to (both) these tables?

Sure - the legs just have dadoes cut in them equal to the table top thickness, and glued together.

Frederick Skelly
10-15-2018, 8:20 PM
Sure - the legs just have dadoes cut in them equal to the table top thickness, and glued together.

Thanks! I guess it really is as simple as it looks! :)

Ron Citerone
10-15-2018, 8:30 PM
Nothing ugly there, I like them and they are real eye catchers.

Bill Carey
10-15-2018, 8:57 PM
I really like the round one. Simple but it has some elegance and energy to it. Well done.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-15-2018, 8:58 PM
Distinctly different, demonstrates joinery but certainly not ugly. I think it's a great use of what could have been firewood.

David Utterback
10-16-2018, 8:14 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like them.

David Croy
10-16-2018, 3:10 PM
I don't normally comment, but I thought your leg idea is great and the execution was outstanding. I'm stealing your idea for use in a couple round, live edge pieces that I was having trouble thinking of a good leg attachment method. Stealing ideas is a form of flattery, right?

I think my modification for the leg is to drill a hole through the top of the leg, through the table, and into the leg below the dado. Then drive a piece of contrasting dowel to secure the leg to the table (and for a bit of "flair"). Thank you for a great idea and nice use of material.

David Eisenhauer
10-24-2018, 2:31 PM
Sorry to say Dan, if you were striving for ugly, you missed. Maybe next time or come on over to my shop and I can provide hands-on instruction in ugly. I wondered about a horizontal dowel run through the outside of the leg into the center of the thickness of the top, but maybe that would to be too "contrived" or something. Leave it like it is. Good stuff.

John TenEyck
10-24-2018, 4:44 PM
I wouldn't want either in my house but I don't think they are ugly; in fact, the design and definitely the build quality is very well done. Hopefully, you or someone else can give them a good home.

John

Bill McNiel
10-24-2018, 5:54 PM
Nice try Dan but no one is buying the "ugly" label.

Carl Beckett
10-25-2018, 12:45 PM
Yes, as strange as it sounds often times I find perfectly straight grained uniform toned material to be somewhat 'boring'. It can be beautifully done, but not memorable.

These are great.

I subscribe to the beauty of Wabi-sabi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

johnny means
11-09-2018, 9:39 PM
Well done. I wish people would ignore the "rules" more often.