PDA

View Full Version : Lychee Calabash

Rob Price
10-14-2018, 9:08 PM
We were fortunate to go on a family vacation to Hawaii earlier in the year and I was able to ship back some blanks. This was a piece of Lychee. Repaired with Koa pewa patches. Finished with Parfix CA glue, one coat then buffed. 8" diameter at the rim. Not sure why the photos are so fuzzy, they are 250kb on my computer but 40kb here.

Brice Rogers
10-15-2018, 2:08 AM
Nice Calabash. I grow Litchee/Lychee here in San Diego. It is an acquired taste. My trees are still 4 or 5" in diameter....

Kyle Iwamoto
10-15-2018, 5:14 PM
Nice job!
Can't tell from the pics, but did you put a foot on it? Calabashes typically have no foot. From the pics it seems to have some lift. Just my $0.02.
Love turning lychee......

John Keeton
10-16-2018, 6:28 AM
Not sure why the photos are so fuzzy, they are 250kb on my computer but 40kb here.Rob, the size limit for images uploaded to SMC is 107KB. If you attempt to upload images larger than that the system resizes them and usually much below 107KB. To avoid that, use FastStone or some other editing program to resize your pics before uploading.

Rob Price
10-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Kyle, no foot. I tried to carry the curve further down than usual to add some lift- there is a flat area of about 2” on the bottom- so not truly round across the bottom but no foot.

John- I’ll make note of that moving forward. Is that new? I haven’t posted photos in a while but don’t remember the resizing being so aggressive. I tried to link to the photos on my own site but it said they were too big as well.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Ah excellent! I usually "cheat" by making flat spot, but feather the flat "edge" so it still looks round ish. Good job! I do love turning lychee. The cracks are a problem, but I like that too...