PDA

View Full Version : Most commonly used router bits?

Michael Costa
10-14-2018, 12:02 PM
I finally got my router table. What are the most common bits everyone uses? Instead of buying a bit every time I come across one I need, I'd like to buy a set that consists of the most common ones people use.

Wayne Jolly
10-14-2018, 12:15 PM
I bought a set or two a long time ago, and most of the bits are still unused and I had to buy profiles that were not in the sets. I find it much more cost effective to buy what I need.

Wayne

Cary Falk
10-14-2018, 12:20 PM
I bought a set of router bits when I first started out. I have a bunch of bits that I don't use. The most common bits I used are roundovers, straight, and sometimes ogee. I have a tone of other speciality bits for cabinet doors and mouldings.

Jim Becker
10-14-2018, 12:24 PM
"Most used" is honestly going to be different for most folks because everyone uses their routers a little different. I would say that it's safe to buy a "small set" of cutters just to have a few things to work with but in general, it's best to buy based on actual need. If you want to build your own "startup set", a 1/4" round-over, 1/4" straight and a 1/2" or 3/8" cove isn't a horrible way to get going. A flush trim bit with a bearing is essential, IMHO, for pattern routing, too. That's probably what I actually use the most in my shop as of late. From thee, build your collection with what you need for your projects. For table use, I prefer 1/2" shank cutters regardless.

Joe Jensen
10-14-2018, 12:44 PM
I use flush trim bits a ton. Also I try to buy 1/2" shank bits whenever possible. Also, but Whiteside or another quality brand and avoid the sets for $30 type bits.

Clint Baxter
10-14-2018, 12:46 PM
I agree that a large comprehensive set will have bits that’ll never be used. A set of roundover bits, such as the Whiteside 501 roundover beading set, is much more likely to be used. You can also get a set of straight bits that, again, are likely to be put into use as well. Other than those sets, buy them individually as need occurs.

Clint

Doug Garson
10-14-2018, 2:12 PM
Starting out to buy router bits is a bit (no pun intended) of the old catch 22. The cost per bit will be lower if bought as part of a set but the cost per bit actually used may be higher since as others have said many of the bits in sets never get used. One strategy is to buy a medium to low price set, see which ones you actually use and then buy the best quality replacement bits for those. A good way to start may be a used set of Craigslist.

You also have to consider the type of work you do. Are you rough cutting parts on a bandsaw and then cleaning them using a sander? Maybe a pattern bit and template would be better. Are you using a dado blade to cut dados for cabinets? Maybe a straight cut router bit may be an alternative. My most often used bits are roundover bits, pattern bits, straight cut spiral bits. I rarely use complicated edge bits like ogee.

Peter Christensen
10-14-2018, 2:48 PM
I'm in the buy as you need camp because most of what I see in sets would never get used. I buy what I want when I need it even though it means I might have to wait until I can have it delivered or go get it. If I can use multiple bits and other tools that I have to make a profile I'll do that rather than buy a new bit. My most used bit is a 1/8" round over bit that lives in a Makita trim router.

Malcolm McLeod
10-14-2018, 2:51 PM
... and avoid the sets for $30 type bits.

^+1 - I bought a used router and got the seller to throw in a set of 1/4" shank, Skil branded bits (~20). Most have never been touched, and the ones I have used are generally just shy of disposable quality. ...They'd probably be OK if your 'big' work includes pine jewelry boxes??

I'll add that if 1/2" shanks are just too big/expensive, take a look at 8mm shank bits. I discovered them working with a Leigh jig, and the increased rigidity (vs. 1/4") is confidence inspiring. Somewhat fewer profiles, but I find the increased life expectancy worth the compromise.

Osvaldo Cristo
10-14-2018, 2:58 PM
I finally got my router table. What are the most common bits everyone uses? Instead of buying a bit every time I come across one I need, I'd like to buy a set that consists of the most common ones people use.

Although my table saw supports dado blade I do not have any, yet, so all dados and rabbets are doing by routing with straight bits, actually I think router is a better solution for that kind of construction most of (my) cases. Round bits are also very used - mainly 6 mm and 12 mm.

Regards,

Nick Decker
10-14-2018, 3:09 PM
These:

https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Router-Bits-401-2-Inch/dp/B000AM31QI/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1539538040&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=Whiteside+basic+bit+set&psc=1&smid=A1WO0LWTFI0BL8

I bought them a long time ago. Whiteside makes excellent bits, and all of those bits are useful. My guess is that Whiteside arrived at their selection by looking at what they sold the most of.

Mike Cutler
10-14-2018, 4:07 PM
Michael

1/2" straight bits with top, and bottom, guide bearings.
1/2" Spiral with guide bearing.
A really, really nice high quality rabbeting set. Infinity makes a nice one.
1/8", 1/4",3/8" and 1/2" round over bits with guide bearings.

A nice quality T&G set isn't a waste of $$$$, and is good to have at the ready.

I also see that in the past few years, router bits are available with insert cutters. Definitely something to check in to.

Don't buy sets. It's a waste.

Ralph Okonieski
10-14-2018, 6:27 PM
Agree that sets often contain bits that are never used.

Spiral bits up to 1/2 inch cutting diameter and several different diameter pattern and/or template bits are mostly used in my shop. Less frequent but “honorable mention” goes to a few straight bits.

Wade Lippman
10-14-2018, 6:39 PM
4 sizes of roundovers account for 75% of my router use. Straight are much of the rest. Maybe I need to be more imaginative.

Lee Schierer
10-14-2018, 7:30 PM
I agree with the others, I pretty much bought them as I needed them. If you are looking for some basic bits, I use my selection of round over bits most of all. Next most used is my 3/8" dia up cut spiral bit. Buy quality bits to get quality cuts. Cheap bits don't last.

Jim Dwight
10-14-2018, 9:05 PM
I usually buy MLCS woodworking bits. They are relatively inexpensive but work well for most things. They have sets.

My current project (a bed) requires a 45 degree chamfer bit. I have them in 1/2 and 1/4 shank. Most of the cuts were small so I used the little one in my Colt. A 1/8 roundover is a nice way to break corners. 1/4 and 1/2 roundovers are more for decorative edges. Straight bits are useful and ones with bottom cutters can cut mortises. I would get 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. A roman ogee bit is another frequently used edge shaper. I also have several sets for cope and stick cutting on doors and panel raising. But I would wait and get those sort of bits when you have a specific project.

1/2 bits for anything that cuts out much wood in one pass. 1/4 shank bits will slip on a hard cut and move. A good collet helps but there isn't much area on the little 1/4 shank bits. Best not to push them very hard.

If you find a set with a lot of these bits, nothing wrong with getting it. But MLCS service is quick and they don't charge for shipping.

John Goodin
10-14-2018, 9:24 PM
For me, four bits get 90 percent of the use. A round over, a straight spiral bit and two pattern bits, one with a bearing on top and one with a bearing on the bottom. For heavy use bits it makes sense to buy quality and 1/2 shank when possible. Skip the urge for a locking miter bit. They are great in theory but have a way of making people blurt long series of four letter words.

ChrisA Edwards
10-15-2018, 9:35 AM
I usually buy Whiteside 1/2 shank.

The bits I seem to go to most are straight, 1/4 and 3/4. I did buy a 4 piece Rockler set and that include these sizes and they hav lasted well.

The other set I use quite a lot are a Whiteside set for cutting dado's the width for common plywood.

May other favorite is a Whiteside UDC9112 Ultimate flush Trim Bit, it's expensive, but is wonderful to use for creating corners.

I also use various 1/4 round bits with bearings. These i think are worth buying in a set.

Greg Hines, MD
10-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Every few months Woodcraft used to offer their bits for like $5 apiece. Straight bits in 1/2" and 1/4", flush trim, pattern, a couple of round overs and cove, rabbetting, and an ogee. I forget the others. Maybe a slot cutter. But those will usually do most of your work for you.

That said, I do have several solid carbide spiral bits that I use for most of my plunge routing.

Doc

Yonak Hawkins
10-15-2018, 10:52 AM
75% of my router usage is with round-over bits, especially a 1/16"r and 1/8"r. I have, also, been using cove bits more and more lately. Oh .. seeing my avatar image reminds me of the one job I do that requires a 1/4"r round-over on both sides of 1/2" panels.

Andrew Seemann
10-15-2018, 10:54 AM
It depends on what you do. I inherited a lot of sets of things from my dad that had only one item used in the set (router bits, hole saws, odd drill sets). Since I have gotten them though in the last two years, I have used several of the things in the sets. For him, sets were a waste of money, for me less so.

I use roundover bits, chamfer bits, and a drawer joint bit the most with pattern, straight, and profile bits being used less. I doubt there is a set offered with only the bits I use. I did get all those Woodcraft $5 router bits when I lived near them. I haven't used them all, but every once in a while, I do break out an unused bit for something.

Going with 1/2" bits where ever you can is a good idea though. Those 1/4" ones are fragile, especially after you are used to 1/2" ones.

Frederick Skelly
10-15-2018, 10:56 AM
I agree with buy as you need them. I only use my tailed router for shaping the edge of tables, etc. So the ones I personally use most are roundover and ogee. If you are going to use it for dados and other joinery, you need other types/shapes (that I can't speak to). As for brands, my new "thing" is the Freud Quadricuts - beautiful edges even on maple. Whiteside has an excellent rep but I haven't tried them. I also have some Infinity.

Fred

Mike Ontko
10-15-2018, 11:25 AM
"Most used" is honestly going to be different for most folks because everyone uses their routers a little different.

I'm just a small garage shop hobby guy, and I only have three routers that I use for shop work, A PC690 for hand work, a Bosch 1617EVS that sits in my benchtop router table, and a Rigid R2401 compact trim router. My main bits for the trim router are either a 1/4" roundover (currently a Freud) or a chamfer (currently a Grizzly) that I use for knocking down sharp edges. In the PC690 I most frequently use straight cutting bits, either for making dadoes and grooves or used with a guide bearing or guide bushing for pattern cutting. Come to think of it, I also use spiral up-cutting bits quite a bit (hard to avoid this pun) for making mortises. The router in the table doesn't get as much use as the other two, and so far hasn't run the same bit or bit set more than once, but includes: a lock miter set from Infinity and a solid edge-banding set also from Infinity.

Echoing other responses here, I have a Rockler straight bit set that I bought for dadoes and grooves, but so far have only used one or two of those bits. So I wouldn't recommend purchasing bit sets like this unless you expect to make use of all or at least most of the bits that come in that set.

Mike Ontko
10-15-2018, 11:35 AM
Skip the urge for a locking miter bit. They are great in theory but have a way of making people blurt long series of four letter words.

+1 here!! I learned the hard way (after spending money for a good lock miter bit set), that you can create a decent lock miter joint on the table saw. If you do opt to use them though, you can make the initial cuts on the table saw and then refine them using the bit set.

Michael Costa
10-15-2018, 1:14 PM
Thanks guys. A la carte it is!!

Bob Vaughan
10-15-2018, 1:36 PM
75% of my router usage is with round-over bits, especially a 1/6"r and 1/8"r..
Same here. Those little round over bits get used to ease the edge of something that will come in contact with the hands. It also makes for a better surface for finish adhesion.

lowell holmes
10-15-2018, 2:10 PM
Actually, you need to go to your favorite purveyor of wood working tools and browse. You probably will find something you have to have.
:rolleyes:

Jim Morgan
10-15-2018, 3:35 PM
Same here. Those little round over bits get used to ease the edge of something that will come in contact with the hands. It also makes for a better surface for finish adhesion.

Lee Valley makes a little set of corner-rounding tools http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32682&cat=1,230,41182,41200 With a bit of polishing, these work great - zero setup time, quiet, shavings rather than sawdust. Not normally a Neanderthal, but these really do the job.

Rick Potter
10-15-2018, 5:30 PM
I will go against the tide. Buy a small, inexpensive set from Woodline or MLCS. Then buy good versions of the ones you use most. You may find your usage is different from what you think it will be.

Van Huskey
10-15-2018, 9:09 PM
Back in 2006 FWW did an article on the 10 essential router bits and honestly I can say that all of them get fairly common use in my shop either the exact bit or variations of them.

• 1⁄4-in. straight bit • 1⁄2-in. straight bit • 3⁄8-in. spiral-fluted straight bit • Rabbeting bit with four bearings • 1⁄2-in. dovetail bit • 1⁄4-in. roundover bit • 3⁄8-in.-radius cove bit • 45° chamfer bit • Three-wing slot cutter • 1⁄2-in. flush-trimming bit

Whiteside supplies these in a set and if there is a set I would recommend it would be this one. I, like most, wouldn't recommend the big "cheap" sets but I think most woodworkers would get their moneys worth out of this set and it ensures you have the bits at hand to handle most router situations.

glenn bradley
10-15-2018, 9:18 PM
Van hits the nail on the head. This is somewhat different for everyone but, I have all those bits and bought them as I needed them (along with many others) so if I had bought that Whiteside set I would not have failed on any of them.

Jim Becker
10-16-2018, 8:59 AM
I kinda agree with most of the cutters on the list that Van posted as being "generally useful" to have. They cover a lot of bases.

Curt Harms
10-17-2018, 5:56 AM
I have a set of Woodline 4 piece roundover bit set. That's the only set I'd buy again. I see their current set is 1/4" shank, the set I have is 1/2" shank. I have other sets where I've used maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the bits in the set.

William Hodge
10-17-2018, 7:17 AM

A better decision making factor than other people's use would be your style of working.

If you decide what cutter to use by looking through a rack of cutters, having a rack full of router bits would be useful. If you follow other's plans, or work everything out ahead of time, two day shipping makes stocking router bits not worth it.

I get router bits to match what I'm doing, instead of making things according to what router bits I have, or can buy stock. Having the exact right router bit is worth the time to buy one, or get a custom router bit made.

Before I start a job, I list all the cutters I will need and make sure I have them.

Bill Adamsen
10-17-2018, 8:01 AM
Like some of the others, I think Van's list is ok. I use a router quite a bit, but don't think I've ever used a slot cutter. Makes me think because I definitely use strait bits all the time for rabbets, grooves, dados and mortises. Like some of the others have noted, a set of round-over bits is quite useful. I'm sure I use almost every size, every week. Chamfer bits also get used frequently. Many of these bits have a "useful life" that can be surprisingly short depending on a number of factors not the least of which is quality. Quarter-inch shank for lightweight, one-handed routing otherwise half-inch shank.

Derek Cohen
10-17-2018, 8:25 AM
Keeping in mind that I do a lot with hand tools, such as rebates, dados, grooves and dovetails ...

For morticing I want a 1/4" and 5/16" carbide upcut spiral bits. I do also have 3/8" and 1/2", but the smaller two are the common users.

The 1/4" straight bit and a 1/4" slot cutter are used for grooving.

A 3/4" spiral or straight cutter is available for dados.

The above are used in a 1/2" router.

A 1/8" carbide spiral bit is used for clearing the waste from hand cut dovetail pins. Used in a trim router.

Lastly, 1/8" and 1/4" round over bits. These are also used in a trim router.

Any mouldings, bevels or chamfers are shaped with hand planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ken Kortge
10-18-2018, 1:48 PM
The best advice I've seen for purchasing router bits (besides using 1/2 inch shanks) is to start with a relatively inexpensive set such as the MLCS set, so you have what you need when you need it, and then replace those bits that are used, as needed, with higher quality router bits.

Ken Kortge
10-18-2018, 1:51 PM
The best advice I've seen for purchasing router bits (besides using 1/2 inch shanks) is to start with a relatively inexpensive set such as the MLCS set, so you have what you need when you need it, and then replace those bits that are used, as needed, with higher quality router bits.