PDA

View Full Version : It’s baaaack!

Matt Day
10-14-2018, 11:35 AM
I sure missed SMC for a couple days!

Keith Outten
10-14-2018, 11:41 AM
What we thought was going to be just another storm turned into something else. Power was restored last night and Internet service recently. We have trees down all over our neighborhood and my yard is full of limbs, it will probably take me a couple of days to get things cleaned up. One of my neighbors trees fell across the lane and into our field behind my shop.

No major damage so we are thankful for just having a mess to clean up :)

Frederick Skelly
10-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Glad you came through it ok. I was watching that storm on radar - it looked like powerful remnants of Hurricane Michael coming through. Friend of mine near you said it was pretty violent.

Martin Wasner
10-14-2018, 12:01 PM
I figured it was a power outage

Jim Becker
10-14-2018, 12:17 PM
I was also thinking power outage, but was worried about flooding for you given the river rise nearby. 'Glad you only have some "extra fall cleanup" to do!

George Bokros
10-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Glad it was not worse for you. Guess I did not even think it could have related to the storm. Just for info where (state) is the server located?

Steve Eure
10-14-2018, 12:51 PM
We're still without power and have been told possibly 10 days to 2 weeks. We had 115 MPH winds with gusts up to 125. House survived with minimal damage but several large trees to have removed. Cleanup on our property will take weeks.
All in all we are fine with the generator. Took my first bath last night since Tuesday evening. Well water sure is cold but refreshing.
Worst part is I had to cut a path to my shop to get tools to work with. No power means no turning time. Bummer.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2018, 1:15 PM
Keith I am glad you experienced no major damage!

George....the server IIRC is located in the 2nd floor above Keith's shop behind his home in rural Hayes, VA.

Jim Becker
10-14-2018, 1:33 PM
Just for info where (state) is the server located?

Hampton Roads, VA, near Norfolk...right in the track that Hurricane Michael took on its way north and east.

Chris Fairbanks
10-14-2018, 2:00 PM
Hope you guys have a good off-site or cloud backup of the forums. Would hate to loose all of the content here in the event you were hit with something worse. Glad you guys made it through safely and SMC is back. Thanks

Jim Koepke
10-14-2018, 2:48 PM
Glad to see SMC up and running. At least my days had a bit more shop time.

Knowing the site server is in the area where storms were wreaking havoc gave me an idea of what was going on. In my area our landlines run through fiber optics. If a pole or two go down we might not have service for a few days. Even a catastrophic hit to the power lines is back up in 24 hours or less.

jtk

Chris Fairbanks
10-14-2018, 4:03 PM
Keith any thoughts about setting up a Twitter account for SMC that you can post info to in the event of the next time there is an outage? Thanks

Keith Outten
10-14-2018, 5:17 PM
Chris,

That's an interesting idea, I will look into it.
-----------------------------

There must have been a tornado that was very close to our house because a power pole was snapped in two on an adjacent street. I doubt 60 mph winds could do that much damage as it has never happened in the past here.

Matt Day
10-14-2018, 8:12 PM
That would be handy, though I don’t use Twitter. Maybe a Facebook account, though I don’t use that either!

There are a couple threads over at woodnet asking what was going on but they just wanted to poke fun at the location of the server or if we didn’t pay the $6. Sounded like high school kids.

Bruce Page
10-14-2018, 8:30 PM
That would be handy, though I don’t use Twitter. Maybe a Facebook account, though I don’t use that either!

There are a couple threads over at woodnet asking what was going on but they just wanted to poke fun at the location of the server or if we didn’t pay the $6. Sounded like high school kids.

I don't use Twitter either but you don't have to have an account to read it.

Kev Williams
10-14-2018, 10:12 PM
The internet proper is my only social media vice... Sawmill Creek, BoatingABC and the IRV2 forums account for 95% of my browsing time, the other 5% sometimes I read some news. I don't do Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Google or Yahoo... I have no smart phone, I'm using a 10+ year old flip phone with 75 minutes a month, I've never used that much. (The wife does that daily! ;) ) -Texting costs $ so I only text when 'something happens' and one mass-text is easier than lots of phone calls. And since my ears are shot and today's $900 cellphone's talk-quality is right up there with 1970's drive-up window intercoms, I hardly use the phone, I'd rather comm via email.

I figured the storm took out SMC since Keith mentioned the last one just missed him. Glad that it wasn't worse than it was this time around...

Joe Adams
10-14-2018, 11:59 PM
Glad Keith is safe and SMC is back.

Matt Mattingley
10-15-2018, 1:59 AM

Hey I wondered.... but things happen... those addicted reach out!

I like Keath’s tools kept tight. Good on him. I wait the storm too!

Jim Becker
10-15-2018, 9:17 AM
Because Twitter allows reading without an account, I believe it would be a very suitable method for posting announcements/status if there is an event like a storm that shuts things down. As long as someone has Internet access, they should be able to get to Twitter and easily access any "SMC account" for that kind of information. It can easily be setup to cross post to Facebook, too, so those of us who participate there will get the news there.

lowell holmes
10-15-2018, 1:46 PM
And it looks like it used to. Good work guys.

Jim Becker
10-15-2018, 1:58 PM
And it looks like it used too. Good work guys.

The server was merely powered down. No changes were made.