PDA

View Full Version : Router Table - 1, Me - TBD

Matt Meiser
11-27-2005, 9:31 PM
This weekend I unfortunately had a significant accident in the shop. I was template routing the upper rails for the headboard and footboard on my daughters bed, which was supposed to be her Christmas gift. I had routed away most of the waste on one side of the second piece, when the piece slipped and went the wrong way past the bit, causing my poorly placed hand to contact the bit. I took out the top 1/2 of my middle finger on my left hand from just above the start of the nail to the tip. It is pretty much gone down to the bone. I managed to make it into the house before starting to go into shock and my wife and SIL took me to the ER, where pretty much all they could do was bandage it, give me Morphine and perscriptions for Vicodin, motrin, and an antibiotic. I'm supposed to see a hand surgeon on Tuesday, but the ER doc indicated that they'll probably have to do a skin graft. He also indicated that I'm probably going to have to be off work for a couple weeks. I defintely can't drive to work while on the Vicodin as it is affecting me rather strongly. I revisited the scene today and needless to say it was pretty gory.

Thinking about the accident, there were 2 major contributors. First, my hand was in a bad spot and I was careless about where I had placed it because I was thinking about where I wanted to rout, not where I could rout. Second, is possibly the placement of the starting pin in my plate, relative to the bit. My pin is to the left of the bit, rather than the right. If the pin had been to the right, the piece would have hit the pin and stopped, most likely saving my hand. However, then I could have possibly had a similar accident at the other end of the piece, injuring my right hand instead.

For me, the worst part of the accident is that I won't be able to complete the bed for some time, which is very dissapointing to me. Luckily it was going to be a suprise for her, so she doesn't know about it, but I still feel really bad.

Jim Becker
11-27-2005, 9:41 PM
Matt, I'm very sorry to hear about your accident. No matter how they happy, they are equally "not nice". I hope you heal quickly and thank you for the reminder that accidents can happen to anyone anytime.

Richard Wolf
11-27-2005, 9:49 PM
It's difficult to read about all these mishaps. But we must keep in mind that we are do things that can be serious in their consequences and try to avoid them. That being said, it is the very lucky that never have a mishap. Just being careful is not enough sometimes, we keep pushing ourselves to make our tools perform and sometimes get bit.

Sorry for your pain, hope you heal quickly.

Richard

John Keane
11-27-2005, 10:02 PM
I am sorry to hear of your accident. I hope that you heal quickly and with minimum discomfort. My mother would say "There but for the grace of God, go I."

John A. Williams
11-27-2005, 10:05 PM
So sorry to hear about your accindent, thanks for reminding us all that shop safety is #1
I'll be praying that you have a speedy recover
John

John Miliunas
11-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Matt, you have my sincere wishes for a quick and thorough recovery! It truly is a rather gruesome reminder to the rest of us to be extra careful out in our respective shops.

Jay Knepper
11-27-2005, 10:11 PM
So sorry to hear about your accident, Matt. Thank you for sharing the particulars with us; it may well prevent other accidents by reminding us of how evan a small lapse in focus can be disastrous.

I hope that you are healed soon and well, and quickly get "back in the saddle".

Tyler Howell
11-27-2005, 10:14 PM
EEEEEyue! Makes my skin crawl just reading your account:eek: .
Speedy recovery.

John Cavanaugh
11-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Matt,

Wow, seems like like the routers have been taking a toll on the SawMill Creekers lately, not good....

Im really glad you had folks at home when the accident occurred. Hate to think what could have happened if someone wasnt there.

Good luck with Dr appt on Tues and your recovery.

--
John Cavanaugh

pat warner
11-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Next to wood, routers like protoplasm best. The buggers are dangerous.
Regretfully, you found out the hard way. You have my condolences.

May I comment?

I do not free hand table rout on the router table as there is just too much risk. Cutter traction varies as the grain changes and any thing can and will happen.
A way out: Clamp (toggles) the work to a templet, use the toggles for grips. Test with light cuts on scrap.

In new territory: Test with scrap but not with mishappen stock. Run the entire process without power first, then light cuts, then cut as deep as practical. Scale up step wise, not giant leaps into the unkown.

Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

Kent Parker
11-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Matt,

Boy I bet your hurting. So sorry to hear about your accident. I'm hoping that the skin graft is possible and also a success. With the run of accidents to the "Creekers" I've been extra careful in the shop !!
Take those meds and don't fret too much. You'll be back in the shop in no time.

All the best

Kent

Keith Christopher
11-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Matt,

Man 2nd router bit win on the board ! I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I wish you a speedy and as full as possible recovery.

Shudder. I think about all the times I'm had a piece jump routing endgrain. Yikes.

And when I see the router workshop and I see them holding small pieces in their hand, I will now shake my head and shudder even harder.

Keith

Shiraz Balolia
11-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Matt - an unfortunate accident, indeed!:(
Hope you get better and not be "gun-shy" of your shop. Accidents such as yours and Shelley's this week are a wake-up call for the rest of us.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Matt............sorry to hear about your accident! Thanks for posting, as it may wake the rest of us up! Good luck with your recovery. I'll be thinking about you.

Jim O'Dell
11-27-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm with Tyler. YIKES!!! Our prayers go out to you and the healing hands of your Doctors. Let us know how it goes Tuesday. Time will heal the wounds and show a safer way to finish the project. Take the time for both.
Jim

ps: can someone tell me how much the RouterStop costs??? I think I'm interested.

Chris Padilla
11-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Sorry, Matt, for your demise but we needs some pics for the wall of shame! ;)

Bruce Page
11-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Matt, sorry to read about your accident. Bad things can happen so fast on the router table! Heal quickly, and take it easy for a while, there will be time to finish your daughter’s bed later.

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2005, 11:39 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Get well soon. That is a wakeup call for me.

Alan Tolchinsky
11-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Next to wood, routers like protoplasm best. The buggers are dangerous.
Regretfully, you found out the hard way. You have my condolences.

May I comment?

I do not free hand table rout on the router table as there is just too much risk. Cutter traction varies as the grain changes and any thing can and will happen.
A way out: Clamp (toggles) the work to a templet, use the toggles for grips. Test with light cuts on scrap.

In new territory: Test with scrap but not with mishappen stock. Run the entire process without power first, then light cuts, then cut as deep as practical. Scale up step wise, not giant leaps into the unkown.

Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)

Pat,

That sounds like a great idea. Could you post a pic of a template with "toggles" so we can all work safer? I looked on your site but it's overwhelming to me. Thanks. Alan

Timo Christ
11-28-2005, 2:30 AM
Matt,
get well soon! I'm really sorry to hear about the second router table accident on one weekend here on SMC. Definitely makes me feel that hand feeding on the RT is not that safe, autofeed or CNC.. i think i will go the latter route. Then again, hand feeding on any saw etc isn't that safe either....
I hope your hand heals well and that you can get all abilities back.
Regards
Timo

Vaughn McMillan
11-28-2005, 2:38 AM
I'm hoping you have a speedy recovery, Matt. Real sorry to hear it happened, but I appreciate you posting about it here. The two recent accidents discussed here have made me rethink any and all of my router table processes, and my "what if?" radar will be running full power.

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
11-28-2005, 3:21 AM
Matt---Sorry to learn of your mishap, wish you a speedy recovery. I think it is a great benefit to the rest of us to post these things as a reminder to think things through before action.

Dan

Jay Knoll
11-28-2005, 6:21 AM
Matt

So sorry to hear about your accident all the best for a speedy recovery.

Jay

Matt Meiser
11-28-2005, 6:47 AM
Im really glad you had folks at home when the accident occurred. Hate to think what could have happened if someone wasnt there.

My wife and I talked about that before. My shop is about 100' from the house, so even if someone was home, it could still have been a problem. When we installed our security system recently, one of the keypad buttons is programmed for a medical emergency. That button only has to be held in for 2 seconds to initiate an emergency response.

Matt Meiser
11-28-2005, 6:50 AM
Hope you get better and not be "gun-shy" of your shop.

I don't think I'll have a problem being mentally ready to go back out there, but we'll have to see the first time I'm ready to use the router table.

Matt Meiser
11-28-2005, 7:03 AM

Let me think for a minute...NO :D :D :D

I'm not sure I could get a clean picture--too gross for me. All I can think about when I see it is seeing my finger touching the bit, which seemed to happen in slow motion.

Frank Pellow
11-28-2005, 7:33 AM
Matt, sorry to hear of your misshap and I wish you a good recovery with a speedy return to the bed project.

Two reported router table accidents in a row makes me start to think whether I really want to have a table. :confused: Right now, I am doing all the routing that my projects require using a router on a guide rail. So far that has worked well, but I had expected to encounter some work that could not be done that way and that was best done with a table. Reports like your's and Shelly's will encourage me to be inventive with my quide rail settup.

Matt Meiser
11-28-2005, 7:42 AM
Frank, In my opinion, there are a lot of times where using the Router table is safer than freehand routing and and where a guide system wouldn't work. When putting an edge profile on a piece, I almost always use the table with a guard and usually a featherboard. I could have shaped these peieces instead using the bandsaw followed by a spokeshave, circular plane, or even sanding, This is supposed to be an accurate method, and supposedly faster.

Tyler Howell
11-28-2005, 7:51 AM
I think Shelly's pix were enough for me. :o

Frank Pellow
11-28-2005, 7:57 AM
Frank, In my opinion, there are a lot of times where using the Router table is safer than freehand routing and and where a guide system wouldn't work. When putting an edge profile on a piece, I almost always use the table with a guard and usually a featherboard. I could have shaped these peieces instead using the bandsaw followed by a spokeshave, circular plane, or even sanding, This is supposed to be an accurate method, and supposedly faster.
Matt, I expect that you are correct and that I will eventually run into something that I can't do with my guided system -but, that has not happened yet and I will not try harder to delay the day when it does. Granted, I have only done a couple of serious projects since I acquired my guided router last April.

Frank Pellow
11-28-2005, 7:58 AM
I think Shelly's pix were enough for me. :o
Me too! And your injury sounds to be worse Matt.

Matt Meiser
11-28-2005, 8:11 AM
Me too! And your injury sounds to be worse Matt.

I think hers actually looks grosser. Mine doesn't look as bad until you look at it from the side angle and see how much is missing.

Chris Barton
11-28-2005, 8:24 AM
Very sorry to hear about your accident and I wish you the best of luck with your recovery.

Jeff Sudmeier
11-28-2005, 8:32 AM
I'm not sure I could get a clean picture--too gross for me. All I can think about when I see it is seeing my finger touching the bit, which seemed to happen in slow motion.

Matt,

Isn't it amazing how time slows down in any accident!?!?! Nothing you can do but watch.

I am glad to hear that you are "safe", I often worry about what would happen if I had a major accident in the shop.

Joe Blankshain
11-28-2005, 8:41 AM
Matt,

Speedy recovery and I am sure (I hope) all of us are paying better attention to safety in the shop.

Chris Giles
11-28-2005, 8:53 AM
Matt,
Very sorry to hear about your traumatic accident. It is disturbing to think that a piece of your body is permanently gone. From your description, it sounds as though there should be very little functional diminishment in the hand, although I'm sure there will be the occasional reminders. As mentioned, you are doing us all a great service by sharing your pain with us all. I will certainly reevaluate my safety procedures on the shaper and router table, and absolutely commit to keeping the fingers clear of that incredibly destructive blade. Best of luck in your recovery.

Jim Hager
11-28-2005, 9:00 AM
So sorry to hear about your mishap. Like the rest of the guys I wish you a very speedy recovery.

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/18/C6/14743320-17ad-028001E0-B.jpg

Here is a jig that I use to do arched topped rails for rp doors. The jig is loaded with the pattern on top and the blank on the bottom. I trace out the pattern then bandsaw away most of the waste within about 1/8" of the line then run it across the shaper following a bearing against the pattern. The jig is big and bulky and easy to hang on to by the toggle handles that clamp the piece to the jig.

http://a1.cpimg.com/image/19/C7/14743321-751e-028001E0-B.jpg

I know you had your accident on a router but a similar jig can be made for the router table with a little bit of thought.

Just wanted to add a little suggestion to the conversation.

Heal fast Matt.

lloyd morris
11-28-2005, 9:04 AM
Matt,

I am so sorry to hear of your accident and hope you recover as soon as possible. You post reminds us all the shop can be a very dangerious place and careful consideration and caution should underscore our work habits.
Accidents can happen to any of us.

Lloyd Morris

Mark Singer
11-28-2005, 9:08 AM
Matt,
Really sorry to hear about the accident! Routers are as dangerous and unpredictable as any tool in the shop. I think we all need to take more time with regard to safety.... Hope you recoiver soon

tod evans
11-28-2005, 9:08 AM
matt, thank you for your post! i realize it`s embarrassing but hopefully you will have saved someone else the pain you`re going through. mend quickly and best wishes, tod.

Rob Blaustein
11-28-2005, 9:12 AM
Thanks for sharing this bad experience with us--reading about your and Shelley's experience should help the rest of us work more safely. Get well soon.

Shelley Bolster
11-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Ahh man Matt...........I really feel for you! :( I mean I REALLY feel for you! I have to tell you, my stomach did a flip-flop when I read you post. My swearing caused my husband to ask what was wrong so I read out your post to him. His reply pretty much sums it up......."poor SOB". They say "misery loves company" but I would have been quite content to commiserate all by my lonesome this time. :(

Let me think for a minute...NO :D :D :D

Well......sorry to tell you but you will soon get used to gross. In fact, please prepare yourself for Tuesday......you will probably be shocked to see it again after it has been bandaged for a couple of days. The pics I posted were taken during the first dressing change - by the assistant. I explained about perhaps posting the pics as a warning for others but they added another reason for taking pictures. They suggest patients with such injuries use pictures to gauge their healing progress. They explained that patients can become depressed when recovery seems slow or even at a stand still so to be able to refer to "last week" really shows improvement...helps keep your spirits good. To post them is strictly up to you (it took me a few days and encourage from others)........you don't even have to look at them for a week or so but I really would suggest you have someone take a few tomorrow. You WILL heal.....although slow, I do see improvement and it has only been a week today. ( I admit, it has a very long week!) Take care of yourself Matt - don't beat yourself up buddy, it really can happen to ANY of us!!!

Oh yeah....the slow motion thing.......isn't that weird ?(and freaky!) I mean, it happens in a millisecond - no time to react and yet when we shut our eyes it is played over and over again but in slow motion!!! This was so hard to explain to others and probably the most disturbing mentally for me. It leaves.....slowly but now I only get a couple of "flash backs" a day. Oh yeah.....this is again something you will have to gauge for yourself but other than the time I spent walking around the shop I knew myself that I had to get back "on the horse" sooner and not later. I could feel myself getting nervous even standing in front of the router table (even the other tools!!! :eek: ) so I knew I had to force myself to do a little. (shhhhh - I am not supposed to be doing anything for at least another week! :rolleyes: ) I know that like the flash backs, the fear will bit by bit leave also.......another one of those "takes time". The ironic thing......it was because of time......because I was in a rush that this all happened. Had I taken the time to build a proper jig BEFORE the accident.....well, I wouldn't be understanding your pain. Now - not only am I having to deal with a traumatic injury....I am so friggin far behind! :mad: :mad:

For what - an hour of my life to make a jig??? :mad:

Heal quick Matt .......and thanks for posting. I know what a hard thing it was to do!

Dennis Peacock
11-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Sheesh Matt...!!!! I'm VERY sorry to hear of your router accident. You and Shelley. Makes my hand hurt to think about it. Godspeed on your healing and may you heal quickly.

Jack Diemer
11-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Ouch, I am very sorry for your accident, and I for one vote NOT to see anymore pictures. No offense Shelley.

You two are inspiring me to use my Grrripper every time I turn on any tool.

Take good care of yoursef.

Paul Canaris
11-28-2005, 1:00 PM
Had a similiar incident to Matts and Shelly about 25 years ago. Involved a tablesaw and a dado blade. It was over in the blink of an eye; I was looking at my hand, and about an inch of exposed bone sticking up from where the tip of my finger used to be. Stitches without novacaine is not a fun experience. :( Has had the blessing in disguise of keeping me very careful around power tools since then, with no repeat incidents. I count myself lucky when I see the fellows at the WW shows who are missing multiple fingers, a hand or an arm. Can't imagine what that must be like. :eek:

Matt Meiser
11-29-2005, 2:46 PM
Well, I went to the orthopedic surgeon today who said that I acutally went deep enough to injure the bone. However, because it is where the nail should be, and there is a little nail left, they are not going to do a skin graft if it can heal over naturally. That will give the best chance of getting some semblence of a nail back. He says my hand modeling days are over however. He did put me off work for at least another week because of the pain medication though. Normally I would love to stay home, but if I can't be in the shop, or drive anywhere to look at shop stuff, what's the point?

Steve Clardy
11-29-2005, 8:05 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear that Matt.
I really dread opening up these posts, but it gives me a wake up call I guess.
Do get healed up, and back in the shop soon.
Steve

Tom Stovell
11-29-2005, 8:16 PM
Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope things go well with the healing.

Tom

Peter Stahl
11-29-2005, 9:30 PM
Matt,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope it heals quickly. Those things happen so fast.

Shelley Bolster
11-29-2005, 9:47 PM
Hate to hear that you injured the bone but I am glad that it sounds like healing without surgery is hopeful. Good luck with the rest of your recovery Matt.

Corey Hallagan
11-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Wow..... I cringe to even think about it. Man.... bad router!! I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Corey

Peter Pedisich
11-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Matt,

Having some of the nail left is a good thing, best wishes for a comfortable and speedy recovery.

Pete

Richard Blaine
12-02-2005, 3:09 AM
I will continue to pray for a speedy recovery for both you and Shelley.

With the execption of Shelley's post, I read every accident report that is posted. (Thank you to all who share there misfortune with us.) I always figure that reading about someone else's accident will keep me on edge in the shop and perhaps keep me from my own accident. (Kind of like I tell the kids. "It's not good enough to learn from your mistakes. You need to learn from other's mistakes too.")

However, I just could not bring myself to read Shelley's post because of the photos. :eek: I don't need the visuals to remind me of how terrible these events are to the injured person. The descriptions get that point across all too well.

Frankly, seeing the photos would only cause flashbacks to a fight I had with a v-belt more than twenty years ago. I'd say it was a tie since I kept the finger-tip without serious damage. But, boy was it ugly.

Tom O'Donnell
12-03-2005, 7:09 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Matt
I am sorry to hear about you accident I have been around routers for over 50years and I have beenteachig save workshop procedures for years but it just happens in a flash I hope you recocer soon
Tom
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>