PDA

View Full Version : Using a 30W fiber laser on plastic

Marianne Rusche
10-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Hi,
I am wondering if it is possible to engrave on plastic using a 30w fiber laser? I have only used metal (aluminum, brass, and copper) but I have the opportunity to engrave plastic name plates. I was told that fiber lasers are only for metal and I don't want to try to engrave plastic and then mess up my machine. Does anyone have experience or know if there are certain kinds of plastic that would be ok to use on a 30w fiber laser. I have a small BOFA fume extractor for the metal I use and it works just fine. I'm thinking that if plastic is possible, I may have to use a more powerful fume extractor when dealing with the toxic plastic fumes.Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Marianne

Scott Shepherd
10-10-2018, 11:01 AM
You have to try it. Some plastic engraves nicely, some doesn't. Only way to tell is to try it. I've ever seen the same materials but a different brand engrave completely different.

Marianne Rusche
10-10-2018, 11:33 AM
You have to try it. Some plastic engraves nicely, some doesn't. Only way to tell is to try it. I've ever seen the same materials but a different brand engrave completely different.

Scott,
Ok thanks! I just didn't know if it would mess up the laser in any way. When I bought the fiber laser, I was told that it really only for metal and if I wanted to work on plastic then I had to use a co2 laser
Thanks,
Marianne

Kev Williams
10-10-2018, 12:03 PM
tip: to start out: one hatch, say .03mm; set your power at 0% and freq at 100 to start; make minor adjustments...

John Lifer
10-10-2018, 5:27 PM
Totally depends on the materials. Nylons USUALLY work well, Polypropylene and Polyethylene really depends. Don't know your machine, I've found frequencies above 200 (I can go to 400) work well.
Some have been able to do Rowmark type Modified acrylics. I can't seem to get settings right on my machine. (color is also a BIG ingredient)

One thing the fiber does is not always engrave INTO the material. Higher frequencies bleach color out and don't really cut.
The main suggestion I've got is to TRY!

Marianne Rusche
10-10-2018, 7:55 PM
Thanks! I guess as long as it won’t hurt the laser, I can get some blanks and give it a go!’