PDA

View Full Version : rounding corners on plywood

Jim Colombo
10-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Has anyone tried rounding corners on plywood with a block plane?

Thanks,
Jim

Bruce Haugen
10-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Yes. Be prepared to sharpen a lot. The glue is a real bugger for the blade. Also, the finish it leaves isn’t all that good. You’ll need to sand afterwards.

Jim Koepke
10-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Has anyone tried rounding corners on plywood with a block plane?

Thanks,
Jim

You will likely have better luck with a 4-in-hand rasp and some sandpaper to follow.

jtk

Osvaldo Cristo
10-10-2018, 11:21 PM
Warning: heresy will follow

I strongly recommend you to use a power router to create round corner in plywood. It works great... actually in this moment I am using a computer on a table I construct 20+ years ago using plywood and it has all corners rounded by power router.

All the best,

lowell holmes
10-14-2018, 8:01 PM
I realize this string is four days old, but I agree with Jim. I guess the creek was down for a few days. I'm glad it's back.

Pat Barry
10-15-2018, 7:38 AM
Not a neanderthal solution I know, but a ROS and 120 grit paper make this an easy job.

Curt Harms
10-16-2018, 7:30 AM
Not a neanderthal solution I know, but a ROS and 120 grit paper make this an easy job.

But then plywood isn't a traditional neander material so a non-neader solution doesn't seem like sacrilege.

Steve Kaminska
10-17-2018, 3:09 AM
Jim's or Pat's solutions are what I use depending on which tools are closest at hand. After all, it is just plywood.

James Waldron
10-17-2018, 1:18 PM
Good to remember that there's plywood and then there's good plywood. Using a plane to round corners or to fit edges is tough work, and keeping a sharp edge is essential, but when using first class marine plywood, it goes very well. (Used to be all mahogany plies; today its all okume or all meranti plies; no voids are permitted.) It goes down hill from there.