PDA

View Full Version : Lift for large bowls blanks

Bob Bergstrom
10-09-2018, 8:18 PM
When I was at the big orange lumber store I noticed an air pump device for raising base cabinets for leveling. I ordered a couple small trailer tire innertubes, removed the stem valves and connected them to a hose with one valve. Two sheets of plywood and some twine to keep them aligned. The bowl blank weighs about 80# and was about 1” below spindle height. Shoot a little air in the valve to raise it above the center height. Then I released a small amount of air to bring it back to center. Turn the hand-wheel and started threading it onto the spindle. There are many other ways, but I have limited space and this is easily stored.

394713 394714 394715 394716

Tom Wilson66
10-09-2018, 8:39 PM
Cool idea. That faceplate looks awful small for that big of a hunk of wood, though.

robert baccus
10-09-2018, 9:38 PM
Good thinking outside the box.

Bob Bergstrom
10-09-2018, 9:54 PM
Cool idea. That faceplate looks awful small for that big of a hunk of wood, though.
Good flat surface, with 6 screws. I don’t recommend it for everyone, but I’ve turned a lot of big bowls on that powermatic faceplate.

Bill Boehme
10-10-2018, 1:18 AM
Very nice idea, but Step 1 is missing ... how did you get that hunk of wood from the ground to the bed of the lathe? After back surgery I was told that I'm not supposed to pick up anything heavier than a dinner fork. I cheat a little and sometimes pick up things weighing up to 50 pounds and that is why I have another back surgery coming up very soon.

Bob Bergstrom
10-10-2018, 9:05 AM
Very nice idea, but Step 1 is missing ... how did you get that hunk of wood from the ground to the bed of the lathe? After back surgery I was told that I'm not supposed to pick up anything heavier than a dinner fork. I cheat a little and sometimes pick up things weighing up to 50 pounds and that is why I have another back surgery coming up very soon.

Bill I used a hand truck and web belt to get the blank to my basement shop. Slid it onto my hydraulic table and pump it up enough that I could roll it onto the bed of the lathe. A simple small block and tackle would also work well. I don’t have room for an engine hoist which is ideal. There are some refinements that could improve this one. 1/4” metal plates rather than thin plywood would be one. Too thick and it starts to limit the swing opportunities?

Steve Schlumpf
10-10-2018, 9:51 AM
Looks like it works well! I like the idea of a hydraulic lift but also have limited room in my basement shop - plus with my shop being carpeted, it is hard to get things to roll around once there is weight on them. Here is something I came up with a few years back. Like you mentioned, lots of different ways to get the job done. Heavy Lift (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?175509-My-Heavy-Blank-Lift-System)

Rod Sheridan
10-10-2018, 10:28 AM
I use a Genie lift for heavy stuff such as large logs on the band saw or large blanks in the lathe.

I can lift them from floor height to the lathe or saw.

Sure is nice to not strain my back.................Rod.

Tom Giacomo
10-10-2018, 9:01 PM
I have one similar to Rod's a dolly with a hydraulic lift.

Bill Boehme
10-11-2018, 1:44 AM
Bill I used a hand truck and web belt to get the blank to my basement shop. Slid it onto my hydraulic table and pump it up enough that I could roll it onto the bed of the lathe. A simple small block and tackle would also work well. I don’t have room for an engine hoist which is ideal. There are some refinements that could improve this one. 1/4” metal plates rather than thin plywood would be one. Too thick and it starts to limit the swing opportunities?

Well, duh I bought a Harbor Freight hydraulic table about a week ago to supplement one that I already have. I guess that I just wasn't thinking. Now I need to go back to HF to get something to raise the pieces about ten inches from ground level to the hydraulic table.

Looks like it works well! I like the idea of a hydraulic lift but also have limited room in my basement shop - plus with my shop being carpeted, it is hard to get things to roll around once there is weight on them. Here is something I came up with a few years back. Like you mentioned, lots of different ways to get the job done. Heavy Lift (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?175509-My-Heavy-Blank-Lift-System)

I wonder why I never thought about carpet in the shop. It would be easy on the feet and cut down on noise. :D I like your hoist system.

Joe Bradshaw
10-11-2018, 7:50 AM
Bob, I mounted a section of barn door track to the ceiling of my shop. It is centered on the center line of my lathe ways. I then put an electric hoist on the track. The track sticks out past both ends of my lathe. I use a strap around my blanks to lift them. It also works great for removing the tailstock(Oneway 2436) of my lathe.
Joe

Thomas Canfield
10-14-2018, 1:58 PM
I have track and electric hoist similar to Joe. Works well to also lower/raise the bed extension on my Powermatic 3520.