PDA

View Full Version : Jumping in with Goblets

John Nicholas
11-27-2005, 7:53 PM
The new guy gets to jump in. Feet first -- Head first -- who knows.:D

3 Goblets here. The Right is poplar, right out of Keith Rowley's Foundation book. Left is from Honey Locust finished with 1 coat of Watco.

Middle is Oak. This was a turning club bring back. They give you the wood and you bring back a turned item or the wood and 25.00. I brought back a goblet. Finsh is 3 coats Watco.

I learned to chase cracks with CA on this one. The oak was cut about 7 years ago and has been aging inside a barn. My piece was 6x6x6 and a number of cracks. I trimed the sides on the band saw and got a piece with no cracks. Started turning and here a crack -- there a crack. :eek:

The double ended goblet is hollow on each end. I wanted to hollow the ball in the middle, but hollowed the bottom last rather than first. Next time. I like the curve on the top. The bottom curve needs some work. I'd like it different than the top -- more of a parabola. The spacing on the coves needs to be even. There is a catch in the bottom interior you can't see.

Comments Welcome and encouraged.

Note: The block is 1 1/8 inch square for scale. My photo box needs some work. First time I've tried one. Thanks John for the pictures.

John :)

Bill Stevener
11-27-2005, 9:57 PM
Very nice John,
I really like the half full or half empty one.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Ernie Nyvall
11-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Nice job John. The tall skinny one in the middle is very interesting... never seen one like that. I like the one on the left too. I don't particularly like the form of the one on the right. Your right, maybe a little different bottom and a little longer stem.

Ernie

John Hart
11-28-2005, 7:16 AM
Nice John! I like the two on the left. Pretty cool that they are your design! I haven't done a goblet yet...You're providing inspiration here!;)

Dick Parr
11-28-2005, 9:15 AM
Very nice John

Jeff Sudmeier
11-28-2005, 9:23 AM
John, these look great! I haven't done any goblets yet, but they are something I want to try.

Andy Hoyt
11-28-2005, 10:04 AM
The new guy gets to jump in. Feet first -- Head first -- who knows....

Usually when someone jumps in feet and head first it's called a bellyflop!

Not in your case, though. These are nice.

Chip Sutherland
11-28-2005, 1:54 PM
That's downright excellent compared to my first goblet. I'd post it but it is still on the shop floor next to my waste wood bin. I keep throwing it on top but I keep finding it mysteriously back out of the bin on the shop floor in odd places. Maybe it's a sign from the wood fairy that I need to try to salvage something from it. I really gnarled it up with some bad catches.... oh well....maybe I can apply some of Bill G's lessons that I learned from watching his DVD 6-7 times during the holiday.

Jeremiah Jordan
11-28-2005, 3:38 PM
Looks very nice John. After a long day at college I sure could use that double goblet!

Jeremiah