PDA

View Full Version : Can you bring a plane on a plane? TSA and woodworking question

Matt Lau
10-08-2018, 11:36 PM
So this is sort of a silly question, but I'm seriously thinking of bringing a handplane on the my upcoming flight to San Diego.

However, I don't want TSA to confiscate it.

Have any of you guys safely brought a handplane (or other woodworking stuff) on a plane?

I figure that chisels are out, same for knives, same for drill bits and rasps. However, I'm not sure if some pocket planes can get around that restriction.

Andrew Hughes
10-08-2018, 11:45 PM
If you put in your checked in luggage I bet they won’t care. If you try to carry it on the plane I bet they look at you like your wearing a necklace with a mackerel on it.:)

Matt Lau
10-08-2018, 11:54 PM
Oh, as to what plane?

I'm thinking of bringing my shiny 40th anniversary pocket plane.
With luck, I hope to convince TSA that it's a shiny paperweight/sculpture.

Jim Koepke
10-09-2018, 12:14 AM
Oh, as to what plane?

I'm thinking of bringing my shiny 40th anniversary pocket plane.
With luck, I hope to convince TSA that it's a shiny paperweight/sculpture.

Yeah! Right! Do you think they will mind when a shiny blade falls out?

Put it in your checked luggage. Of course a 48 hr observational hold wouldn't be too bad if you really didn't want to go to San Diego.

jtk

Van Huskey
10-09-2018, 12:40 AM
You have 3 options:

1. put it in a checked bag

2. fly private (that's what I do*)

3. try to carry it on and potentially cause yourself a HUGE headache

* that comment is usually reserved for one of my sports forums where we are all 6'5", bench 450, have 3% body fat, are married to supermodels and $100k is a rounding error in our weekly draw... and the absolute worst indignation one can suffer is flying commercial... :cool:

Peter Christensen
10-09-2018, 12:59 AM
Send it ahead by mail or courier.

You gotta figure if they take away a tiny pair of nail clippers a tool with an inch wide blade that can split a hair ain’t getting on either.

Matt Lau
10-09-2018, 1:26 AM
:( bummer. You're probably all right.

May bring my guitar instead.
It's custom made for this type of stuff.

And here I was looking forward to planing on a plane.

David Bassett
10-09-2018, 1:45 AM
If you're wanting it in San Diego and worried about checking the plane, I bet you could check the plane blade and carry on the plane body OK. (But check with TSA ahead of time, just in case.)

PS- if you really want to plane on a plane, good luck. I'm pretty sure TSA and the airlines think it's their jobs to insure all flights are miserable.

Matt Mattingley
10-09-2018, 2:07 AM
Send it ahead of you or chance putting it in your luggage. If you’re taking it carry-on I can almost guarantee problems. There is proper ways of declaring this and getting proper stickers. A buddy of mine travels internationally with firearms for firearm competitions. Call the airport in advance and let them know what you’re bringing and what paperwork you need to fill out... walk the steps. Or risk seizure.

Some of the US airports have given me tons of trouble with tools in my toolbox. So now...I’ve given them inside the toolbox, destination, return to address, drivers license photo copy, passport photo copy, and full copy of flight details. I have nothing to hide!

Vincent Tai
10-09-2018, 4:20 AM
I can only echo what everyone else has said. Fun little story; when I was 10 I was flying to Vancouver. Put my bag through the scanner and when it came out one of the people there grabbed it and starting swabbing it. Ran it through the swab whatever. At this point I was thinking cool, a random test with cool machines. Then they opened it and started taking out my stuff. After the usual books and stuff was out they started taking out screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers. I was pretty shocked and they were too. I then remembered a few months ago I had a future career day school where kids were supposed to bring stuff related to their future. At that point I wanted to be violinist but I wasn't going to bring an expensive instrument into school so I brought some tools because I liked tinkering with stuff at the time. I was one of those kids who had a backpack stretched out with books on books on books, and I had managed to forget to take out those tools and they sunk to the bottom for the next few months without me noticing. Yeah I literally carried enough books around everyday the extra pound or more of tools wasn't felt. They just looked at me for a bit and I guess decided I probably wasn't a flight risk nor were my mum and sisters and said "you can't bring these on the flight." They were nice enough to tell us about an option to pay to mail them back to us but my mum was plenty mortified and wanted to just leave ASAP and declined. I still don't have a normal plier or a needle nose plier anymore. Crikey its been a decade. Should get on buying some.

John K Jordan
10-09-2018, 6:00 AM
...screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers. ... said "you can't bring these on the flight."

Back before the TSA I always had a small wooden tool box in my carry-on when traveling to certain federal offices in Washington DC in case I needed to work on a computer to get my job done. (those people were not technically functional).

On one return flight the security person looked inside and said I couldn't carry that on the plane. I said I've carried it on every flight for years. He said but what if you decide to take something apart on the plane? I assured him I would not so he finally let me take the tools under one condition - that I promise not to open the box during the flight. Ok.

Larry Frank
10-09-2018, 7:26 AM
It takes me forever to get thru TSA. I have deck screws, links, large metal chunks along with wire and small computer in me. I go thru the xray and then get the thorough pat down . The little computer and wires in my back always get to them. The TSA is always polite and nice.

Jason Roehl
10-09-2018, 7:43 AM
If you really must know:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

Prashun Patel
10-09-2018, 9:53 AM
That's a no. Plastic blades are allowed, so unless your plane has one of those...(extrapolate).

Chuck Saunders
10-09-2018, 10:34 AM
They confiscated a router wrench they found in my laptop bag. Said it was too long. Plane iron? not a chance, it will be confiscated (entire plane)
Chuck

John K Jordan
10-09-2018, 10:57 AM
They confiscated a router wrench they found in my laptop bag. Said it was too long. Plane iron? not a chance, it will be confiscated (entire plane)
Chuck

Some may depends on the individual agent. Reminds me of going through a security checkpoint at one of the secure gov facilities where I worked. One guard wanted to search something none of the others ever glanced at in the years I worked there.

When I asked (pleasantly) if there was a reason for the change, he said "Well, it's like this. Some of us do and some of us doesn't. :)

JKJ

Jim Koepke
10-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Some may depends on the individual agent. Reminds me of going through a security checkpoint at one of the secure gov facilities where I worked.

In pre TSA times, when working on engineering copiers my small vacuum cleaner also carried my tools. One time they didn't like the tools in my box. The solution was to put a bolt through the tabs for a lock so it could pop open in the over head bin.

Another place had a restricted area. To enter one had to go through what was called "the match gate." There they would search vehicles and persons for any thing that could start a fire. They made rocket fuel there. Knives were okay.

jtk

Normand Leblanc
10-09-2018, 11:34 AM
A month ago, I took with me on the plane a bunch of tools including a 5-1/4 junior jack. All tools were in the luggage, not in the cabin. They asked me to go to the dimensional luggage, got asked some questions and everything was fine. That was a Canadian flight from Montréal to Vancouver.

Derek Cohen
10-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Sure you can take a plane on a plane ....

.... you just cannot take it off the plane. :rolleyes:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Peter Christensen
10-09-2018, 12:01 PM
In the late 70's I was an aircraft mechanic for a firebombing company. Sometimes I would be sent to a base to provide relief for the guys working round the clock. I would check the bags with my clothes but not my tool box. It was a metal doghouse style that would have 60 to 80 pounds of tools in it. I took it on the plane with me and put it on the floor in front of my seat. I didn't trust the baggage smashers to handle it without breaking the box open. Nobody ever stopped me.

Dave Anderson NH
10-09-2018, 12:45 PM
I don't know about now, but back in the '80s it was often a matter of discretion by the baggage check in people. My wife and I were returning from a mountaineering trip in the Tetons. At Jackson hole airport they made me remove my 50 meter climbing rope from the outside of my rucksack and put it in checked baggage. A buddy on the same flight who with his scraggly beard, long hair, and bush jacket looked like the archetype of a terrorist was allowed to carry his ice axe aboard as a walking stick. I guess they figured I might try to tie up all the passengers and crew. Go figure.

Derek Cohen
10-09-2018, 1:16 PM
I do not recall airlines being that strict until 9-11 (2001). After this, you were searched and restrictions were enforced.

Apparently, one is permitted to carry a knife on a plane as long as the blade is less than 6cm (according to Google).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
10-09-2018, 1:21 PM
I do not recall airlines being that strict until 9-11 (2001). After this, you were searched and restrictions were enforced.

Apparently, one is permitted to carry a knife on a plane as long as the blade is less than 6cm (according to Google).

Regards from Perth

Derek

That doesn't sound right. A box cutter blade is less than 6cm and it is doubtful they would let one of those on board.

jtk

mike holden
10-09-2018, 1:32 PM
Send a tweet to "askTSA" with a picture, or "TSA" on instagram and get a quick, definitive answer as to what you can and can't take on board.

Hasin Haroon
10-09-2018, 1:40 PM
I wouldn't risk it, especially with the TSA (who tend to be meaner/ruder than their Canadian counterparts). I imagine they would just chuck the plane. I brought back some tools from Lie Nielsen, and when I flew from Ottawa to Edmonton, I checked them into my luggage. Turns out they opened the luggage to check the planes out regardless (they left a note) but thankfully repackaged the planes and chisels quite nicely. I hear the baggage checks for our southern neighbours tend to be a bit more messy.

I always make sure to use TSA approved locks only on my checked baggage, just so it's easier for them to open and check if they need to, without destroying the lock/bag in the process.

Vincent Tai
10-09-2018, 1:46 PM
Back before the TSA I always had a small wooden tool box in my carry-on when traveling to certain federal offices in Washington DC in case I needed to work on a computer to get my job done. (those people were not technically functional).

On one return flight the security person looked inside and said I couldn't carry that on the plane. I said I've carried it on every flight for years. He said but what if you decide to take something apart on the plane? I assured him I would not so he finally let me take the tools under one condition - that I promise not to open the box during the flight. Ok.

Different times eh? I live in Canada so we don't have the most stringent of steps but things are methodical and as you would expect. All these stories of flying before I was born reminds me of one my of violin teacher's husband's story. He was a luthier and when they left Hungary he brought his tools with him. Not sure when but he marveled looking back at the fact that at one point he could bring woodworking tools on the plane. My teacher then interjected and mentioned how now they would stop violinists and open the case and try to figure out if the strings could be used as a weapon. At least I think training has been updated for a while so less issues arise. Cellists have it real bad since they can't put that in luggage unless it's a bombproof cello and so they pay for a whole extra seat for it. And then sometimes airline employees get confused and then the Cellist gets removed from the flight...

steven c newman
10-09-2018, 1:59 PM
Of course, IF you have to go through Customs with that hand plane.......

Bill Houghton
10-09-2018, 3:47 PM
...that comment is usually reserved for one of my sports forums where we are all 6'5", bench 450, have 3% body fat, are married to supermodels and $100k is a rounding error in our weekly draw... and the absolute worst indignation one can suffer is flying commercial... :cool:
You left out, "and I once asked [insert name of your favorite musician] to sit in at one of my band's performances, but he declined; said he just wasn't good enough."

Bruce Haugen
10-09-2018, 4:06 PM

Regards from Perth

Derek

TSA relieved me of a little multitool that had a one-inch blade just two summers ago. I guess it’s a threat, yet they don’t see a sharp nail file in the same way.

Adam Fort
10-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Yes, you can take a plane on a plane. You can take a gun on a plane, you can take a knife on the plane. But you have to follow specific TSA rules to do these things. I've done all three, sort of - replace "knife" with "chisel that was as deadly as a knife." Take out the plane blade. It needs to go in your checked bag. Wrap the blade securely enough so it won't cut anyone if they try to examine it. I'd put the rest of the plane in the same bag so if it is checked, they can see what's going on. Maybe even add a couple Post-It notes to explain it to a government employee.

You'll be fine.

Malcolm Schweizer
10-10-2018, 8:46 AM
Checked baggage only. Anything with a sharpened blade, and anything remotely looking like a gun will not be allowed. I have brought countless tools, including chisels, planes, hammers, knives, and saws in checked baggage, but wouldn't even think of trying to carry on. They wouldn't let me carry on a pool cue. They also once pulled a pair of pliers from me trying to carry on. Apparently you can use them to do damage to the aircraft.

Chuck Saunders
10-10-2018, 9:58 AM
Maybe even add a couple Post-It notes to explain it to a government employee.

Not sure that would help. One Christmas I flew from Kansas City to Baltimore with my bag packed with Frozen packages of Ribs, Burnt ends, and Brisket for my BBQ challenged family. Along with 3 bottles of local BBQ sauce. I hung around and while they had no issue with the frosty bundles, I noticed one agent deeply scrutinizing one of the sauce bottles like he had never seen such a thing (who would bring BBQ back from KC?). What made it humorous was when I realized that from his point of view if he changed his focus from near to far he would be looking at the Taste of Kansas City shop with their display table stacked high with that exact sauce.

Jim Koepke
10-10-2018, 6:01 PM
Not sure that would help. One Christmas I flew from Kansas City to Baltimore with my bag packed with Frozen packages of Ribs, Burnt ends, and Brisket for my BBQ challenged family. Along with 3 bottles of local BBQ sauce. I hung around and while they had no issue with the frosty bundles, I noticed one agent deeply scrutinizing one of the sauce bottles like he had never seen such a thing (who would bring BBQ back from KC?). What made it humorous was when I realized that from his point of view if he changed his focus from near to far he would be looking at the Taste of Kansas City shop with their display table stacked high with that exact sauce.

Maybe he was very familiar with it and didn't think it was 'special' enough for people to be taking it home.

One of the things most missed about my former locality are foods prepared in ways that do not seem to exist in my present locality.

One is Zachary's Pizza in North and South Berkeley. They have a deep dish stuffed pizza that is often voted #1.

Another missed restaurant is Cancun Mexican Restaurant in the Middle of Berkeley. They have a couple dozen sauces from which to choose.

In San Francisco the various good eating places is endless and multinational. Good food can be had from reasonably inexpensive to just about as much as any person can pay.

Sorry for the misdirect/hijack, but there seems to be no decent BBQ in this area and it got my juices flowing.

jtk

Osvaldo Cristo
10-10-2018, 11:15 PM
I would not assume that risk. Send it in your checked luggage as I already made in the past.

I never saw anyone bringing or trying to bring a wood plane into an airplane in their hand luggage but I recently saw a video in The Guardian (I am not sure) about a guy that tried to ship in an airplane in London with a plane and a couple of chisels. He was not allowed to bring any of these tools on board and lost them...

All the best,

mike holden
10-11-2018, 4:11 PM
Here you go, get the official answer:
This picture is a screenshot of a tweet that was sent to our AskTSA team.

Have you ever wondered whether or not you can pack a certain item? If you're a regular follower of this account, I'm sure you can think of many situations where it would have behooved somebody to send us a picture first. Well, fret no more! Now you can do just that!

Simply snap a picture and tweet it to AskTSA (twitter.com/asktsa), or send it via Facebook Messenger (facebook.com/asktsa) and our team will get back to you promptly with an answer.

And that's not all! Contact the team about any TSA related issue or question you might have. They can even help you if you don’t see TSA Pre✓® on your boarding pass.

Check out our new EXTENDED HOURS! The team looks forward to answering your questions, 8am-10pm on weekdays, and 9am-7pm on weekends and holidays . #AskTSA (https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/asktsa/) #TSATravelTips (https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/tsatraveltips/) #TSA (https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/tsa/)

Van Huskey
10-11-2018, 8:45 PM
In San Francisco the various good eating places is endless and multinational. Good food can be had from reasonably inexpensive to just about as much as any person can pay.

jtk

Plus just a short (and beautiful) 60 mile drive away is the best restaurant in the US. Thomas Keller's French Laundry in Yontville.

There are only two restaurants in the world I think are absolute bucket list musts for a foodie The French Laundry and Massimo Bottura's Osteria Francescana in Modena. Interestingly Osteria Francescana fits right into my signature and is roughly the same distance as the two and four wheeled best things.

Keller's food is a little better to my palate but Bottura is a better food experience, probably the best in the world. Each dish is like art and actually worthy of IG posts.

Matt Lau
10-19-2018, 11:33 PM
I didn't end up bringing my plane.

I didn't want to risk losing any of my precious tools. Instead, I brought my travel guitar...which is in a coffin case.

No trouble with the TSA!

Peter Christensen
10-20-2018, 11:18 AM
As carry on? Guess they haven't had anyone garroted yet.

Matt Lau
10-22-2018, 4:25 PM
It'd be with ultralights.

I'm just picturing departed souls talking with each other:
"How'd they get you?"
"Some bald guy garotted me with Silk n' steel. How about you?"
"Pretzel."