PDA

View Full Version : Questions on the rabbet block (LN 60.5-R)

Tony Wilkins
10-08-2018, 9:07 PM
Looking for something to get for Christmas. I have most of the tools I need (read probably more). I have the Anarchist Toolchest tool list for reference. That said, I have seen the little LN 60 1/2 R put to good list and even recommended (in FWW) as the best tool for tenon cheeks. So, who has one and what do you think of it’s usefulness?

Second choice would be a small bevel gauge from Vesper.

Third choice: though I have an LV small plow, there is a part of me looking at the LV combo plane.

Derek Cohen
10-09-2018, 1:04 AM
Tony, if you have a standard block plane as well as a wide shoulder plane, then the rabbet block plane is doubling up. I have one and it gets pulled out about once a year. I forget it is there as I would rather use a shoulder plane to clean up a rebate since this is easier to orientate for square.

The small bevel gauge from Chris Vesper is fantastic, and useful. I would jump on that.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Andrew Zetts
10-09-2018, 12:55 PM
What Derek said. I bought it and use it as my only block plane, justifying it as a 2 in 1 purchase. A shoulder plane or a rabbet plane with a handle are much taller and give you a much better feel for angle orientation.

While I'd never assume you're as clumsy as me, you can also run the risk of nicking yourself on the exposed blade when whipping it around during normal block plane duties.

One way it is a superior block plane is that the exposed blade can be used to remove the arris from inside corners really well, though there is doubtlessly more than one way to skin that cat.

Dan Hulbert
10-10-2018, 2:07 PM
I have the low angle rabbit block plane without the nicker (older version). It is the first in line for most block plane work. I have 20+ block planes that I've accumulated over the years, but the LN is my go to block plane. If I could only have one, it would be the LN low angle block plane.