PDA

View Full Version : Foley Saw Filer

Jim Koepke
10-08-2018, 12:32 PM
These were bought pretty much on a whim. There are a lot of saws in my shop that occasionally need filing and my thought is one of these may be able to be put back in service, if the needed parts can be found:

Don't know much about these.

jtk

Pete Taran
10-08-2018, 4:09 PM
Jim,

I own both of those models, and several others. They both appear complete to me. The rubber wheel that turns the large pulley on the green machine is a wear part and it looks like it's near the end of it's life. Both are missing carrier bars to hold the saws. Additionally, the green machine has 3 total file holders, one to hold a 6" XS and 6" 2X slim file, one to hold a 6" slim file, and one to hold a 6" regular taper file. It looks like you have the one to hold the 6" XS and 2X file. Foley is still in business, but they stopped making these about 10 years ago.

The gray machine is actually superior to the green one. Believe it or not, short of the motor, it's actually complete. The right side that looks like parts are missing actually is typical. They sold that machine with a complete right side which was used with a notched bar to file in teeth from scratch if you didn't have a retoother. I have one with a complete right side and one without. You don't need it for normal filing. To make matters more confusing, the carrier bars for the gray machine have different stand offs from the green machine. So, while the bar is the same, the posts that hold the actual carrier are different heights.

There is a website where you can look at the original manuals. They would be useful if you decide to try to call Foley and see if they have parts in stock. They may have parts for the green filer. Definitely not the gray filer. It's located at: http://foleyfiler.blogspot.com/

It's a worthy endeavor to restore these and learn to use them. I started down that road in 1996 and now own 6 of them. :)

Pete