PDA

View Full Version : Easy finish

jeff oldham
10-08-2018, 11:11 AM
can anyone tell me a quick and easy finish for small lided boxes or finals,,,i have tried the ob shine juice which I don't get very good results,,and the mylands friction polish which I think is a rip off,,i never had good results with it,,,any inputs would greatly be appreciated

allan kuntz
10-08-2018, 11:29 AM
i use the cream in this line and like the results. Quick and easy
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=54188&cat=1,190,42942

John K Jordan
10-08-2018, 2:39 PM
You want shiny or not so shiny?

For a shiny finish on finials and other small spindles I like to use Mylands friction polish (shellac-based). Most of these are Mylands:

394653 394654

For boxes and bowls I usually use multiple coats of "danish" oil since I like the look, but it certainly is not quick. Just one coat for not so shiny. If in a hurry, TruOil (actually a type of varnish I think) for shiny is a lot quicker. Many people use wipe-on polly or spray lacquer for a quick finish on boxes. For some woods I use no finish, just polish the wood directly. This works well for some woods like cocobolo and ebony - can get a beautiful shine.

Ebony boxes with threaded lids, no finish:

JKJ

Rob Price
10-08-2018, 9:07 PM
I’ve recently started using Parfix CA glue as a finish. One coat, wipe on wipe off. Let it dry for a few minutes or hit with accelerator then buff.

I sanded and finished 4 bowls today.

Look for Mark Sillay videos on YouTube for the glue.