PDA

View Full Version : Display stands

Travis Stinson
11-27-2005, 5:08 PM
I'm feverishly trying to get ready for next weekend's show. I've read several comments on trying to spread things out a bit to keep the display from appearing crowded. I came up with this idea of making pedestals of different heights with the 8" and 12" cardboard Sonotubes from Lowe's, painted matte black. I turned the bases and tops out of Cypress. The top has an inset to to hold a 1/4" glass plate. I have them at heights ranging from 18" to 36". Still have a few tubes to paint. Still toying with the idea of putting battery powered lights inside the tubes, we'll see.
Whatcha think?

David Fried
11-27-2005, 5:12 PM
I like them. They look neat and professional but I found myself looking at the displayed item not the stand. (They do remind me of large spools of thread!!)

Dave Fried

Kent Cori
11-27-2005, 5:22 PM
A very innovative idea Travis. I really like them. :)

Jim Ketron
11-27-2005, 5:29 PM
Great Job Travis, I Think They will be Great! I wish I had them for my show!
It's a Great Idea all of my turnings was on the same level, if you wanted to see it better you had to pick it up. with this setup you should be able to see each turning as it sets on the pedestal!:D
with all that you are going to have set up, and the black cover for your table they should blend in and not distract from your work.
and the light idea sounds great! I say give it a try;)
Question: I know this show is inside, is the bottom solid so you can add weight for outdoor shows, so the wind don't blow them over?
Good Luck with the show, with your Awesome work I think you will!

Andy Hoyt
11-27-2005, 5:37 PM
Most elegant Travis. I like 'em.

Two thoughts.

Lighting from within sounds cool, but in the glare of flourescent lights will the effect really show up?

Before you pack them up to take to the show, make some sort of protective sock for them. Why? Because when the show's over you don't want to just set them aside in a dusty corner waiting for the next show. Keep 'em clean and safe. I speak from bitter experience on this one.

Dick Parr
11-27-2005, 5:48 PM
Those look great and is a wonderful idea Travis. I vote for the light inside the tubes.

Great job.:)

Michael Stafford
11-27-2005, 5:51 PM
I like the light idea as well. I would suggest to you that you had better be prepared to sell the display stands as well as some folks are sure to ask as they may want to display their new work of art just as they saw it.

I have seen similar stands in galleries around here, some round and some square with mirrors in the top as well. They look nice in flat colors and I would recommend mixing the colors up i.e. black and white.

Your work deserves a fine dislplay pedestal and these fit the bill. Excellent!;)

Mark Cothren
11-27-2005, 6:00 PM
Big Mike, you typed the words right outta my fingers! :D I was gonna say to Travis that he better figger out how much he'll sell 'em for, cuz I have a mind that somebody is gonna want 'em for their own display.

Very nice, Travis! And I agree with Jim about adding weight to wind-proof 'em, and also Andy about covering them up for protection.

Hey, I'm just an agreeable kinda guy....:cool:

Need a field tester? Send me one... ;)

Chip Sutherland
11-27-2005, 6:23 PM
I think they are super. Lights are a good idea but I think you might want to 'frost' the glass a little lest you end up with beacon lights. My mom sells high-end baskets and bright lights were irritating to buyers. They would pickup a basket, get blinded and take a 1/2 step backwards. Made booth traffic awkward.

There are several cheap ways. The first one/more pieces of tissue paper cut round held down by the glass. Typing paper works, too. You can also 'frost' with satin clear spray. Keep the light away. Chemical etching works too but I don't have any experience with it. Low power bulbs if you stick with clear glass.

Travis Stinson
11-27-2005, 8:19 PM
Jim, the bottoms are solid, with a groove for the tubes to slip into. It would be real easy to put a sandbag or something in them. As far as storage, I made sure the smaller ones would fit inside the larger ones;) . Less hassle for transporting too.
Chip, I don't want to spend any more time on these!:eek: So low power bulbs are what I'm shooting for.

John Miliunas
11-27-2005, 8:34 PM
Travis, I think those are super!!!:) I like the idea with the low powered lights but, if you're planning on a LOT of those stands, I think I would just scatter the lighted ones throughout the display and use them only for your higher end work. (Like as if any of it is "low end", but you know what I mean!):D Also, if you do light them and keep the light source low in the tube, I believe it would get decent diffusion before it ever hits the top. If you have time for the next show, you could always hit them with the satin clear or something at that time. Just MHO and, as always, I simply love checking out your work! Beautiful!!!:) :D

Bill Stevener
11-27-2005, 9:51 PM
Hi Travis,
Looks like a first class act. You may wish to try the battery powered, for a better word, tap light, that you can hang or place in a room for emergency situations. Subtle light, non glaring, worth a try. About 4" in diam. someone else may know the proper name.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ernie Nyvall
11-27-2005, 11:15 PM
I would suggest to you that you had better be prepared to sell the display stands as well as some folks are sure to ask as they may want to display their new work of art just as they saw it.;)

I'll third that. Those look great Trais. Those are going to make really nice display stands. I sure bet it helps sell your turnings. They certainly will give the people an idea of how to display your turnings in their homes. What a great idea.

Ernie

John Hart
11-28-2005, 7:10 AM
Very very nice Travis! I like them a lot. I vote for lighting as well. You know...HD has their Frosted Glass Lacquer (Rustoleum I think) that would dry quickly and only take a minute to shoot some on there. Nevertheless...They are a wonderful idea.

Jim Becker
11-28-2005, 7:13 AM
Those look outstanding, Travis! This is a great way to display your larger art as it draws the eye to the turning and is very space efficient. You could do some identical small-scale pedistals for table-top use, too, to keep the theme going. In sales, consistancy to the eye makes for a better buying experience... ;)

Raymond Overman
11-28-2005, 8:07 AM
I really like the stands Travis. Great idea and execution. I think the lights will give it a little more extra too but be careful with heat build up within the tube since it will rise and be captured by the glass. You don't want to crack a turning because you dried the bottom on your glass convection oven. :)Maybe LED lights would be the way to go to reduce that risk.

My opinion on placement would be to put your taller pieces on the taller stands so that someone isn't looking down on your tall hollow form and seeing it surrounded by glass. The tall hollow form looks like it's about to fall over on the short stand in the picture. I don't think you'll get that effect as much if your taller piece is on a taller stand.

Jeremiah Jordan
11-28-2005, 3:22 PM
Those are really cool loking. Very original design there.

Jeremiah

Joe Melton
11-28-2005, 4:28 PM
Travis, I've enjoyed seeing what you are going to be displaying. I hope you take a picture or two of your complete setup at the show and post it here.
Good luck!
Joe

Shelley Bolster
11-28-2005, 6:02 PM
Hey Trav.......those look wonderful!! You have made them, without a doubt, classy! They are a perfect compliment to your work without being over-powering. One word comes to mind - elegant! Way To Go!!:D

Travis Stinson
11-30-2005, 8:13 AM
Hi Travis,
Looks like a first class act. You may wish to try the battery powered, for a better word, tap light, that you can hang or place in a room for emergency situations. Subtle light, non glaring, worth a try. About 4" in diam. someone else may know the proper name.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)
That's the ticket Bill. I knew we had one of those laying around somewhere. I dug it out and gave it a try, just right. Picked up 6 more at WallyWorld. Thanks!:)

Bill Stevener
11-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Glad they worked out for you Travis, just thought they would be worth a try.

My best to you for a very successful showing, and may you come home with nothing, BUT --- $$$$$$$$$$$$.:D