PDA

View Full Version : My new toy....you guys helped with the decision

Chip Sutherland
11-27-2005, 3:12 PM
I have been posting questions to this forum that eventually lead me to a decision on my new toy. So here it is. I got it dirty already. :D

Quite a difference turning 9.75 inch bowls on my Jet Mini and this one. I will probably sell the Mini to a friend to get him suckered into turning. My Mini is only 6 months old! Otherwise, I may keep it and use it for small stuff and for the buffing/finishing.

My first bowl was a Mahogany but it turned beautifully on the inside where all my prototypes had terrible tear out. But Bill Grumbines DVD helped quite a bit, too. Love the turned headstock, massive/heavy tool rests. Now I have to find a space for it in the garage. Guess that means selling my very first power tool purchase....Craftman Radial Arm Saw. It's time, I haven't used it in over a year.

Earl Eyre
11-28-2005, 12:32 AM
Looks great. You will like the bigger, heavier lathe if you are doing bowls. Who needs a radial saw anyway?

Earl

John Hart
11-28-2005, 6:59 AM
Congratulations Chip!!! Nice lookin' beast you have there. Yup...I love the rotating headstock too....makes life so much easier! :)

Jim Becker
11-28-2005, 7:14 AM
Congrats on the new lathe, Chip! I'm sure it will be providing many "chips" for you to clean up every day... :D (Sleep deprivation does interesting things to the humor portions of one's brain...LOL!)

Cecil Arnold
11-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Great gloat Chip. Jim, its that hat, it keeps the heat in and cooks the brain in warmer climes.

Steve Knowlton
11-28-2005, 3:00 PM
Chip, Great Looking Lathe. I Have The Same Lathe. Love The Turning Headstock. I Turned A 20.5" Chip & Salsa Platter This Weekend On It. Will Post Pictures When I Find My Camera

John Nicholas
11-28-2005, 9:02 PM
If you look at segmented work, you may want the RAS. In any case, enjoy your new item. Looks like a winner.

:)

Jim Ketron
11-28-2005, 9:37 PM
Nice Lathe, Congrats!

Bob Noles
11-28-2005, 9:49 PM
Oh Chip.... that's a nice one. I wouldn't be to quick to sell the mini though unless you just need the room.

I got my Bill G DVD in today when I got home and can hardly wait to watch it, unfortunately the LOML had already scheduled the TV for the evening :( Oh well... I can't complain as she was real good to me last week :p

Nice lathe Chip.... enjoy it.

Carole Valentine
11-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Congrats on the new lathe! As someone else suggested, if you have the room you might consider keeping your mini. I did and I use both lathes, especially when turning collars for hollow forms or otherwise need to turn a piece to fit a piece that is on the big lathe. When I am not turning on the mini, my buffs are usually mounted on it.

Jeremiah Jordan
11-29-2005, 7:24 AM
Thats a nice lathe there Chip. It is funny though, you are looking at upgrading and I am looking at downgrading. I recently spotted the penturners lathe from jet. Two speeds (1650 & 3000 i think) #0 MT. Weighs around ten pounds or so. But it would be perfect for me to bring to some craft shows and actually do some turning while i am there.

Jeremiah

Chip Sutherland
11-29-2005, 4:49 PM
Well, I did sneak in the Beall bowl buffing system into the purchase price of the new lathe along with a SuperNova2. I promptly installed the buffing system on my Mini and buffed out some earlier projects. Getting rid of the RAS and some (needed) rearranging will give me the space. I think it will be convenient turning a box on one and the lid on the mini. So I'm seeing a good reason to keep it. Plus I'm still holding out that my daughters (9,11) might turn off their iPods and express an interest.

So am I supposed to name my lathes now? Maybe Buffy and Betty?