PDA

View Full Version : Fixing small crack in blank

Justin Peters
11-27-2005, 2:06 PM
OK, I need a little advice on if it's possible to remedy this situation.

I've been doing pretty good with the whole drilling thing, but despite my best efforts, I managed to put a small crack in a blank I was drilling out.

Please go to http://briefcase.yahoo.com/justin_peters@sbcglobal.net

When you get there, navigate to the folder "cracked Wood" inside the "my documents" folder, and look at the two pictures in there. They are of the wood blank with the small split. I have not glued it up yet, but I am hoping that I can glue the tube in, then use some CA or epoxy to stabilize the crack and not have it come apart while turning. is this something you have seen done, or is it a bad idea and I should just start over?

I appreciate any tips from those of you that might have salvaged blanks in the past.

Thanks, Justin

Jeremiah Jordan
11-27-2005, 2:14 PM
I am not too sure what can be done with that Justin. What I usually do is toos out the the part of the blank that has the crack in it, and make a nice key phob out of the bottom (or top) half. That looks like a recipe for disaster, but then again i am a relatively newbie to pen turning. Good luck.

Jeremiah

David Fried
11-27-2005, 2:56 PM
I have crazy glued cracked blanks. It was a dark wood and the crazy glued cracks come out as jagged blank lines on the pen. It wasn't obvious that it was a repair and not natural character. I also put some glue on the end of the blank to strengthen it before using the pen mill.

let us know how it turns out.

Dave Fried