PDA

View Full Version : Black Widow Burl - sold!

Roger Chandler
10-04-2018, 5:18 PM
394434 This is a pic taken at the gallery of that chestnut oak burl hollow form I posted some pics over on WoW during the roughout phase, and had a black widow spider come out of the thing and get into my Trend Airshield Pro helmet. :eek: That was a tense couple of minutes! :D At any rate the thing sold the 2nd day of our October show "Inspirations from the Shenandoah Valley" for $400.
The grain is beautiful, and the bark inclusions are wild! Here is the other side with a hole in it.
394435 I still have the other half of this burl, which when whole weighed in at over 400 lbs.
Comments always welcome!

Dennis Ford
10-05-2018, 2:26 PM
Great job on the form of that piece, it is very nice. When I read the thread title, I wondered if it referred to Black Willow burl and was a spelling error. I hope the spider did not raise your blood pressure too much.

Roger Chandler
10-05-2018, 3:46 PM
Great job on the form of that piece, it is very nice. When I read the thread title, I wondered if it referred to Black Willow burl and was a spelling error. I hope the spider did not raise your blood pressure too much.Thanks Dennis!

CHARLES D Richards
10-05-2018, 8:05 PM
Roger, what are the dimensions of this beautiful piece?

Roger Chandler
10-05-2018, 8:10 PM
Roger, what are the dimensions of this beautiful piece?13” high X 13” wide at the shoulder....approximately.

CHARLES D Richards
10-05-2018, 8:34 PM
Thanks Roger,
I used my formula for figuring the price of a HF and the selling price was dead on 😁

Roger Chandler
10-06-2018, 6:07 PM
Thanks Roger,
I used my formula for figuring the price of a HF and the selling price was dead on Charles, would you be willing to share the pricing formula you use for turnings? Of course, we know that different markets and locations, as well as the special nature of certain pieces of wood affect pricing, but it would be nice to see how you as an individual turner approach the process of pricing woodturnings. :)

CHARLES D Richards
10-06-2018, 6:32 PM
Roger, as you said this is just a guide but it's where I start anyway and adjust accordingly to the specifics you mentioned.

Height + width x 15. Your HF came out to $390. Personally I think the buyer got a real bargain. For me it would have been $450-475, but that's just me 😁

Dave

Roger Chandler
10-06-2018, 9:33 PM
Roger, as you said this is just a guide but it's where I start anyway and adjust accordingly to the specifics you mentioned.

Height + width x 15. Your HF came out to $390. Personally I think the buyer got a real bargain. For me it would have been $450-475, but that's just me 

DaveThanks for posting your formula! I also think the buyer got a great bargain! :D That burl is a unique and beautiful piece of wood!

Roger Chandler
10-08-2018, 11:22 AM
How this burl started out on my lathe........394615 394616
Thought it might be interesting to some to see such a large and heavy piece handled by this lathe. The hollowing was done on my G0766 because I did not have a baseplate for my Monster Hollowing rig that would fit my G0800, as the gap on the 0800 is 2.5 inches and the gap on the G0766 is 1.5 inches. Both lathes handled this piece of chestnut oak burl with lots of power and torque at low speeds. High torque at low rpm's is something the G0800 excels at!

Tony De Masi
10-09-2018, 10:57 AM
Roger, beautiful form on this piece and the wood speaks for itself, as it should. Glad to see that you didn't do any fill work especially in that larger void. And of course congrats on the sale. As for pricing on that particular piece I think you were way under valued. In this part of the Valley, which isn't far from you, I would have between $900 and $1000 on that piece. I think for those of us that sell you start off by using a formula of sorts. But if you sell for a period of time the market will let you know what folks are willing to pay. I'm certainly not saying it would sell quickly, but it would surely sell. At my gallery I had a very similarly shaped piece of cherry burl that was roughly 8" x 8". It sold in the first month for $795.

Hope to see you next month at the symposium.

CHARLES D Richards
10-09-2018, 1:35 PM
this piece recently sold for $975 in south Georgia, so I agree with Tony. It was sold outside of a gallery but took a about 18 months for the right buyer to come along. The form may not be perfect to the fibonacci standards but the new owner was thrilled with it because of the uniqueness.

Roger Chandler
10-09-2018, 5:27 PM
Roger, beautiful form on this piece and the wood speaks for itself, as it should. Glad to see that you didn't do any fill work especially in that larger void. And of course congrats on the sale. As for pricing on that particular piece I think you were way under valued. In this part of the Valley, which isn't far from you, I would have between $900 and $1000 on that piece. I think for those of us that sell you start off by using a formula of sorts. But if you sell for a period of time the market will let you know what folks are willing to pay. I'm certainly not saying it would sell quickly, but it would surely sell. At my gallery I had a very similarly shaped piece of cherry burl that was roughly 8" x 8". It sold in the first month for $795.

Hope to see you next month at the symposium.I shoulda called you first, Tony! :D Got so much on my plate only the first day seems in play at the symposium right now....it could change, at any rate, hope to see you there!

Roger Chandler
10-09-2018, 5:29 PM
this piece recently sold for $975 in south Georgia, so I agree with Tony. It was sold outside of a gallery but took a about 18 months for the right buyer to come along. The form may not be perfect to the fibonacci standards but the new owner was thrilled with it because of the uniqueness.
394703394704 Yeah...I might have to rethink things a bit! Thanks Charles!

Richard Jones
10-11-2018, 6:17 AM
How many hours do you have in it?

Roger Chandler
10-11-2018, 10:41 AM
How many hours do you have in it?There is a bit of a story with that question, Richard. I had to move it from the lathe you see in the pic above over to my G0766 because I did not have a baseplate for my G0800 to use with my Monster Articulated Hollowing system....the gap in the 0800 is an inch wider than the 0766.

The bit holder tips on my rig would only let me hollow so far inside the form, as it was over 14” wide, so I had to stop the process, and ordered John Jordan’s large hollowing set, where he turned down the tang on the end to fit my Monster system. That was right at the national AAW symposium time, and he was a vendor and had to make that trip, so it took about 6 weeks to get his tools in to finish the hollowing process.

My guess would be probably 25 hours over several weeks, that is not including the sanding/finishing. The holes in the wood, bark inclusions and other characteristics of this piece demanded stopping, using glues, shellac, and other things to keep it intact. Even some wrapping with strapping tape along the way. It beat me up pretty good till I got in the Jordan tools, even with the Monster rig.

Roger Chandler
10-14-2018, 4:13 PM
Over on WTU, Micheal Gibson selected this as Turning of the Week [TOTW]. Thanks Micheal for the honor. ;)

http://woodturnersunlimited.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=302&Itemid=147