PDA

View Full Version : Google help Maytag Dryer

Thomas Canfield
10-04-2018, 11:07 AM
I found one of the internal tub blades loose yesterday about 5:30pm and promptly proceeded to tear into the dryer to try to get to outside of drum to tighten screw. I quickly found out that there is no access from back. Going to Google for help, I found several U-tube videos on repair of Maytag dryer and found out that access is from front. About 15 minutes later, I had front panel and top removed and could rotate the drum to tighten the loose holding screw. Total time less than 1 hour start to cleanup. Definitely better than a service call. Surprising the help out there now. Just got to remember to check out some of the procedures before running at the problem.

Frank Pratt
10-04-2018, 8:34 PM
It is amazing the amount of appliance repair help on the interwebs. I fixed a Maytag washer the needed a $250 circuit board for the grand total of less than $3.00 in parts & about 10 minutes with a soldering iron. Later that same front loader had a bearing go bad. Maytag would only sell me a $600 outer tub assembly. The internet told me how to fix it for $60 worth of bearings & seals (& those were premium quality bearings). That repair took about 1.5 hours. I've since sworn off Maytag laundry equipment.

glenn bradley
10-04-2018, 9:01 PM
Like the woodworking forums, the appliance forums offer tons of help with fairly simple (once you know the process) repairs. I will keep fixing my old Kenmore / Westinghouse machines. They have outlived three sets of the new front loaders (LG, Samsung and some other) that my relatives have been through. A curse of living in another time. I can't spend upwards of $1000 for a washing machine that only last a few years.

Aaron Conway
10-05-2018, 8:05 AM
Couldn't agree more. I have found a video on repairing a 30 year old shower faucet (down to the specific model), videos on simple electrical work, owners manuals, parts diagrams, alternate sources for replacement parts and countless how-to videos for woodworking. :)

Matt Day
10-05-2018, 8:21 AM
Agreed! I’ve fixed our washer (twice), dryer, and dishwasher using appliance repair videos. And I guess hot water heaters fall in that same category.