PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth buying a new in box saw stop pcs 1.75 hp from a private seller

Chris Klein
10-04-2018, 12:23 AM
Is it worth buying a new in box saw stop pcs 1.75 hp from a private seller for $1200. It does not have the rails or fence so that would be an added expense. After looking at unboxing videos it seems there are several boxes that ship. the seller only has the main box where the table saw comes in.
If so, what fence and rails do I purchase being that I have to buy it retail. I guess any option in on the table.

Peter Christensen
10-04-2018, 1:38 AM
Why doesn’t the seller have the rest of the saw? Could it be stolen?

John Goodin
10-04-2018, 2:50 AM
I would want to know the story, and there has to be a story behind a guy selling half of a new, unboxed, high-end tool like a Sawstop. Personally, I could never enjoy woodworking if I thought I cutting on a stolen saw.

Paul Lawrence
10-04-2018, 5:32 AM
It could be that the other part was "lost in shipment" or some such explanation. I'd be skeptical of that, because those involved would have wanted the "$1200" box sent back.

Bill Orbine
10-04-2018, 7:36 AM
Why doesn’t the seller have the rest of the saw? Could it be stolen?

Or could be damaged/defective.

Chris Klein
10-04-2018, 7:51 AM
The seller buys pallets of goods wholesale and resells them so not stolen. As far as defective, I would not know until I power it up

George Bokros
10-04-2018, 8:21 AM
The seller buys pallets of goods wholesale and resells them so not stolen. As far as defective, I would not know until I power it up

This kind of situation would have me thinking it could be stolen depending on his source for these "Pallets of Goods" or it could have been lost in shipment and settled with shipper and then it turned up in the corner of some freight company warehouse.

Matt Day
10-04-2018, 8:51 AM
Nah, there are plenty of amazon resellers who buy pallets of damaged in freight or returned items.

I’ve bought from a guy that has his stuff in his garage in a nice suburban neighborhood. Same deal.

Whether it’s a deal or not is up to you. Figure out how much you’ll need to spend to make it a complete saw. I’d want it to be at least 30% off New from a store with warranty. A warranty with a sawstop especially is valuable.

Chris Klein
10-04-2018, 9:38 AM
Nah, there are plenty of amazon resellers who buy pallets of damaged in freight or returned items.

I’ve bought from a guy that has his stuff in his garage in a nice suburban neighborhood. Same deal.

Whether it’s a deal or not is up to you. Figure out how much you’ll need to spend to make it a complete saw. I’d want it to be at least 30% off New from a store with warranty. A warranty with a sawstop especially is valuable.

From what I understand looking at unboxing videos, it seems a complete basic sawstop PCS 175 comes in a minimum of 3 boxes, the saw, the rails, and the fence. It looks like all the small parts come inside the main box. So with that limited info, it looks like I will have to buy a new t-glide rails and fence for $500.

ChrisA Edwards
10-04-2018, 10:04 AM
We had a huge Amazon, returned products, warehouse sale, here in Lebanon, TN. There were 3 SawStop's listed for sale, initially at 40% off and finally going to 70%.

I tried to find them, and was thinking of buying one, but the warehouse was dark and pretty unorganized.

So it could well be a legit item.

From the rails and fence standpoint, I just replace my SawStop PCS fence and rails with the Incra LS-TS system, so if you are looking for a set of rails, I might have some for sale.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/SawStop/InraceLS-TS_zpssseokihc.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/SawStop/SawStopRails_zps00bqrmsd.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/SawStop/SawStopFence_zpsvxl3134y.jpg

om me if you are interested.

Cliff Polubinsky
10-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Chris,
If the seller is, located south of Columbus, Ohio I've dealt with him and he's legit and good to work with.

Cliff

Matt Day
10-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Chris,
If the seller is, located south of Columbus, Ohio I've dealt with him and he's legit and good to work with.

Cliff

Agreed. .......

Chris Klein
10-04-2018, 11:09 AM
That incra setup is nice. How much does that sell for new. I know you are selling the original setup and I will message you in private about it.

We had a huge Amazon, returned products, warehouse sale, here in Lebanon, TN. There were 3 SawStop's listed for sale, initially at 40% off and finally going to 70%.

I tried to find them, and was thinking of buying one, but the warehouse was dark and pretty unorganized.

From the rails and fence standpoint, I just replace my SawStop PCS fence and rails with the Incra LS-TS system, so if you are looking for a set of rails, I might have some for sale.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/SawStop/InraceLS-TS_zpssseokihc.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/SawStop/SawStopRails_zps00bqrmsd.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/SawStop/SawStopFence_zpsvxl3134y.jpg

ChrisA Edwards
10-04-2018, 12:03 PM
The Incra system was $1100 shipped to me. That didn't include the router lift ($350). I bought a Jessum Master Lift II. I have the Woodpecker's V2 lift in my router cabinet, but I think I'll like the Jessum unit better.

The Inca system was easy to install after I popped down to Tractor supply to buy four 8mm bolts. Incra sends you a bunch of different bolts for a variety of different saws, but not what was necessary for the SawStop.

Simon MacGowen
10-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Is it worth buying a new in box saw stop pcs 1.75 hp from a private seller for $1200. It does not have the rails or fence so that would be an added expense. After looking at unboxing videos it seems there are several boxes that ship. the seller only has the main box where the table saw comes in.
If so, what fence and rails do I purchase being that I have to buy it retail. I guess any option in on the table.

The unknown factors, the extra work and time I would put in to make it work (it is money, too), warranty issues. etc., I would walk away from it unless the total deal would save me at least 40% to 50% off the retail price. A 30% saving would not cut it for me.

I would've preferred an used SS that is working in front of my eyes when I turn it on. I cam make test cuts etc. before I close the deal. Woodworking is a hobby for me and I have had enough anxiety when working on a complex glueup! The last thing I want is suffer from any agony over a monster paperweight in my shop or on the driveway.

Simon

Chris Hachet
10-04-2018, 1:09 PM

Incra system is the way to go, i ahve one on my unisaw and it is fantastic.

Charlie Hinton
10-04-2018, 1:16 PM
Do the cast iron wings come in the box with the saw or is that a separate box too ?

Earl McLain
10-04-2018, 2:16 PM
The Incra system was $1100 shipped to me. That didn't include the router lift ($350). I bought a Jessum Master Lift II. I have the Woodpecker's V2 lift in my router cabinet, but I think I'll like the Jessum unit better.

The Inca system was easy to install after I popped down to Tractor supply to buy four 8mm bolts. Incra sends you a bunch of different bolts for a variety of different saws, but not what was necessary for the SawStop.

Important to note that the price Chris notes is for the full Incra Table Saw Jointery system with router table & Wonder Fence. The current price on that is about $900 and you could also just get the 52" TS fence for about $550. Adding the other parts later is more than just biting the bullet once, but if you're pretty sure you're not going to put a router table on the saw the bill comes down a good bit. I'm a fan of my Incra stuff--and never thought i'd own any of it at all.
earl

Chris Klein
10-04-2018, 3:02 PM
I bit the bullet and bought the saw. It was clearly in the original packaging and I did an inventory per the user manual. All the parts except the fence and rails are there but I knew that going to see it. Not a single scratch on it. The seller is either an extremely successful thief with an 8000 sq ft warehouse :D where I picked it up or a reseller/liquidator. All kidding aside, he was a reseller and it was a legit business. If it starts up then I consider it fair deal at the very least and if it turns out to be a lemon then lesson learned. I know the seller will not accept returns or warranty from the manufacturer but sometimes you just take the risk. So far it is a very pretty paperweight.
I actually kind of glad the fence was not included because not I can buy any aftermarket system I want.
Stay tuned.

Chris Klein
10-04-2018, 4:59 PM
wings came in the main box

Greg Parrish
10-04-2018, 5:36 PM
Congrats. Share pics when all set up. :)

Cliff Polubinsky
10-04-2018, 7:02 PM
Chris,

Check with Sawstop. If the saw hasn't been registered you may have the warranty available. I bought one under the same circumstances and Sawstop honored the warranty.

Cliff

Chris Klein
10-04-2018, 9:00 PM
Will do thank you

Chris Klein
10-04-2018, 9:20 PM
Wow. I just completed setting it up and powered it up for the 1st time and it sounds so quiet and smooth. What a beautiful saw especially coming from a screaming job site saw. 100% worth it and now time to shop for a fence and decide which mobile base to buy. Thank you all for you feedback and input
394452 394453

Chris Klein
10-04-2018, 9:25 PM
Will do. Thank you

Chris,

Check with Sawstop. If the saw hasn't been registered you may have the warranty available. I bought one under the same circumstances and Sawstop honored the warranty.

Cliff

Nick Decker
10-04-2018, 9:29 PM
Looks fine, Chris. Get the ICS mobile base, you won't regret it.

ChrisA Edwards
10-04-2018, 9:56 PM
I also just got a Forrest Woodworker II Thin Kerf 40T saw blade and the SawStop Thin Kerf Riving Knife and it's so quite cutting and so smooth.

I was using the Forrest Woodworker II 40T 1/8" kerf and that was nice, I've used it for about 2 years and sent it out for sharpening and it came back looking like a new blade, pretty cool for $36 including shipping.

Chris Klein
10-05-2018, 8:30 AM
Great tips. Thank you
Just wondering about a 52in fence...2 car garage so it gets crammed midway through an active project.

I also just got a Forrest Woodworker II Thin Kerf 40T saw blade and the SawStop Thin Kerf Riving Knife and it's so quite cutting and so smooth.

I was using the Forrest Woodworker II 40T 1/8" kerf and that was nice, I've used it for about 2 years and sent it out for sharpening and it came back looking like a new blade, pretty cool for $36 including shipping.

ChrisA Edwards
10-05-2018, 8:45 AM
I can't saw I've really needed that extra length. If I'm cutting plywood, I go to my track saw or for thin long stuff, my mitre saw.

I had the same issue with my garage, in my last house, had to roll the saw away to allow the wife to park her car. I made a flip up/fold down out feed table to minimize the storage space. I bolted it to the rear rail with a heavy duty piano style hinge and it had two fold up legs.

Dan Rude
10-05-2018, 4:02 PM
If you are worried about space get the 37" fence. Also consider the ICS mobile base. I have the one that was with the saw as a free promotion. It works, but you have 2 fixed casters so it is harder to move. When I received my saw the freight Company forgot or didn't have the rails. Did not know this because I didn't know how they were packaged. Had the fence just no rails. A little talking with the seller at CPO Tools, they sent me the rails at no cost. The T-glide is real nice and accurate to a 1/16" or less. Love it! Aftermarket Incra would be nice, but they take up room. The other one to consider would be Super Cool Tools, and fabricate your own fence rails; or John Heins wooden fence system. Get the extra cartridges when you order a fence. Dan

Chris Klein
10-06-2018, 10:51 AM
Thank you but did you mean to write 36in fence vs 37in fence? I actually ordered the ics base with the conversion kit last night for 328 from amazon. I will have to check out super cool tools.

thank you

If you are worried about space get the 37" fence. Also consider the ICS mobile base. I have the one that was with the saw as a free promotion. It works, but you have 2 fixed casters so it is harder to move. When I received my saw the freight Company forgot or didn't have the rails. Did not know this because I didn't know how they were packaged. Had the fence just no rails. A little talking with the seller at CPO Tools, they sent me the rails at no cost. The T-glide is real nice and accurate to a 1/16" or less. Love it! Aftermarket Incra would be nice, but they take up room. The other one to consider would be Super Cool Tools, and fabricate your own fence rails; or John Heins wooden fence system. Get the extra cartridges when you order a fence. Dan

Nick Decker
10-06-2018, 12:11 PM
I haven't used the Incra fence system, but if I had the room for it I'd be sorely tempted to go that direction. The micro adjusting and repeatability would open up a lot of possibilities. The Super Cool fence looks very good, but I think the main thing you'd gain there (over the SS T-Glide fence) would be the straight aluminum extrusion. The T-Glide on my saw has a couple of areas that are a bit less than flat/straight. While I can't say that has caused a problem, it does bother me.

ChrisA Edwards
10-06-2018, 4:12 PM
You’ll love that mobile base. I can wheel my SawStop all around my garage with ease.

Dan Rude
10-07-2018, 2:50 AM
Thank you but did you mean to write 36in fence vs 37in fence? I actually ordered the ics base with the conversion kit last night for 328 from amazon. I will have to check out super cool tools.

thank you
I did mean 36" Fence, working on a smaller keyboard. Enjoy the saw. Dan

Curt Harms
10-07-2018, 9:21 AM

It seems like there's more things to be defective on a SawStop than on a Unisaw clone type machine. If it's "as-is where-is" (no return no warranty) I'd think long and hard.

Simon MacGowen
10-07-2018, 9:40 AM
It seems like there's more things to be defective on a SawStop than on a Unisaw clone type machine.

Based on what is this conclusion drawn?

Simon