PDA

View Full Version : Gas grill recommendations

Phil Mueller
10-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Well, the old Weber Spirit bit the dust. Or should I say, went up in flames tonight.

394393 394394

I’ve had Weber grills for years, but starting to hear the quality isn’t what it used to be. This one certainly didn’t last as long as the last one I had. I grill alot, so I’m probably looking in the $1000 range. Would love to have the high heat sear feature...but not a deal breaker. Anyone have a brand other than Weber you’d like to suggest?

Thanks!

Ed Labadie
10-03-2018, 11:51 PM
Check out Holland.

Ed

Doug Garson
10-04-2018, 12:06 AM
Try Napoleon, their top grills are made in Canada, their lower lines are made in China and the difference is noticeable. Mine has a searing station.

Bruce Page
10-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Yikes! That must've been exciting!
We will probably replace our 20 year old Weber Silver with another Weber next year.

Larry Frank
10-04-2018, 7:26 AM
I have had my Weber for 10 years and use it a couple of times a week. I have replaced the burners and "flavorizer bars" a couple of times.

My next one will have a smoking feature.

Jim Becker
10-04-2018, 9:51 AM
While I still have a Webber (and have been replacing parts with increasing frequency) I agree that the quality isn't what it used to be from personal experience. The previous Genesis Silver was much sturdier than this Genesis E310. Replacing the small parts isn't such a big deal but I worry about burning through the main case. LOL I'll run it for another year or three and have the Grill Grates top on it which has made a big difference.

As to other brands, my impression from poking around is that the whole industry has quality challenges unless you go "really high end"...and even there, there are sometimes complaints. I don't know what I'll do when it's time to replace this one...sheesh...

Pat Barry
10-04-2018, 9:54 AM
Ive got a Brinkmann from HD. I highly recommend you NOT buy one of these. They look nice but terrible quality. All tje internal sheet metal welds have rusted and broken.

Frank Pratt
10-04-2018, 10:10 AM
I bought a Weber Genesis maybe 4 years ago and am very satisfied with the performance & build quality. It was not from Home Depot though; the models they sold looked the same but had some significant differences. the only complaint I have is that the finished surface on the knobs has turned rough.

Adam Herman
10-04-2018, 10:49 AM
i have a kitchen aid branded grill from depot, and it has been great. many of the features of the high end webers for half the price.

Cary Falk
10-04-2018, 3:19 PM
After years of buying cheap grills that rusted out we bought a Weber Genesis about 5 years ago. It has held up great. I can't say whether the quality has gone down hill over the hill but I would guess that can be said about everything.

Brett Luna
10-04-2018, 4:38 PM
It's well above the specified price point but I've had my Weber Summit S-470 for 7 years now and I've been quite happy with it. It features four main burners, a sear burner, smoking box/burner, IR burner, side burner, heavy stainless grates, and a 'tuck-away' rotisserie.

I disrecommend Jenn-Air grills based on our experience with the Weber's predecessor.

Greg Parrish
10-04-2018, 5:57 PM
We bought an E310S Webber in 2009 and other than the bottom of the cabinet starting to rust away the grill is working great. The firebox is like new. One set of new burners and flavor bars over nearly 10 years. We recently moved it to our lake property and picked up a new one at home. This time we got the 6 burner Webber genesis at Home Depot due to cooking for more family members these days. Walked into HD one day and they had it marked $700 off. Bought it on the spot and it’s been great with about 1 year of use. Still one of the better grills I’ve seen even though they are priced high.

We also have a charcoal charbroil Akron grill that we use often for grilling and it works great.

And we use use an electric MasterCraft smoker for smoking. Tried lots of other routes before going electric and love the set and forget of electric.

Aaron Rosenthal
10-04-2018, 11:31 PM
I've had a Weber Genesis Gold since 2003. Replaced the burners and the spark unit, and that's it except for the gas to run it.
Also have a Weber smoker. Finicky but I use it every chance I get.
Also agree that Napoleon is superb and would make a great replacement for me should I need to replace mine.

Phil Mueller
10-06-2018, 7:05 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions! There are a couple of BBQ stores near by that carry most of the brands mentioned. Time to go shopping.

Ole Anderson
10-06-2018, 10:46 AM
I bought a Charbroil "Commercial Series" from Lowe's over 10 years ago. About $300 at the time. Surprisingly it came with a lifetime warranty. I doubt the do that anymore. They have stood behind it, replacing the grills, burners, even a stainless door and other parts for just the cost of shipping. Not high end, but nothing falling apart either. Funny that a label on the back says "not for commercial use". I don't see it failing anytime soon. Use it about 3 times per week in the summer, about once a week when the snow flies. One thing I learned is to not burn the grease off the grills when done. All that does is eventually allow them to rust. I just wire brush them as soon as I turn it off. Keeps a nice thin coat of rust preventive grease on the grills. Nice that I can keep it under a covered deck and run it off natural gas.

Von Bickley
10-07-2018, 7:45 PM
I have a Holland. Check out Holland grills on U-Tube.

Rod Sheridan
10-08-2018, 6:48 AM
I have a made in Canada Napoleon, it's 18 this year, haven't replaced anything.

Mine has the infra-red rotisserie burner, does a chicken in 70 minutes.

The grill surface is made of "S" shaped stainless steel rods, nothing falls through, they last forever..........Rod

Jeff Heil
10-08-2018, 10:23 PM
A suggestion to look at a big green egg. Not a gas grill, but uses lump charcoal and heats up almost as fast as a gas grill preheats. After several gas grills from Weber, I got a BGE 3 years ago and haven't cooked with gas since. Gave my gas grill to my sister to make room on the patio. Grills direct and indirect, can use as a smoker and a pizza oven.