PDA

View Full Version : Something all of you use

Andy Hoyt
11-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Okay, you know that I've been turning ornaments for several years. And when I do, I usually make them in batches of a dozen or so. And with these round things all over the shop they had a tendency to prove Newton's Law of Gravity. So I made some holder thingies to keep them restrained. Then one day a few weeks ago, my daughter was helping me and said, "You know dad ... these kinda look like toothbrush holders". They did indeed.

So, here's our brand new USDA Grade A Number One handmade toothbrush holder. I've got grown up sizes and kiddie sizes. Just listed them on the website - hope they sell. Whatcha think?

Robert Watsek
11-27-2005, 1:22 PM
I think youve got something there Andy, what a neat idea your daughter came up with.

I think you had better sign her to a contract as your agent.:D

Hope they do well for ya.;)

Bob

Chris Barton
11-27-2005, 1:23 PM
Andy,

What a great idea! I am always looking for new turning projects and this certainly falls into that catagory. Thanks for sharing!

Bob Noles
11-27-2005, 1:43 PM
Andy,

What a neat idea and I think your daughter should be promoted to Chairman of the board.

Those really look good!

Mark Cothren
11-27-2005, 3:07 PM
Looks good to me - great idea!

Andy Hoyt
11-28-2005, 8:19 AM
Andy,

What a neat idea and I think your daughter should be promoted to Chairman of the board.

Those really look good!

Thanks, Bob. But she'd probably prefer to be the chairwoman of the board.:eek:

Come to think of it, she's been in charge from the moment she drew her first breath.

Jeff Sudmeier
11-28-2005, 8:34 AM
Those look really great! I would think they will sell nicely.

Dick Parr
11-28-2005, 9:28 AM
Nice idea Andy and they look great. Nice Job.:)

Dawn Sunkle
11-28-2005, 1:16 PM
Very Cool!

Dawn

Carole Valentine
11-28-2005, 1:38 PM
They look great, but will they stand up to the moisture? What sort of finish did you use?

Andy Hoyt
11-28-2005, 3:37 PM
Forgot to say thanks to everyone, so ---- Thanks!

Carole - Spent a little time in the Finishing Forum because I was clueless about what to use in that wet environment. Naturally, this led to an enlightening education that mostly zoomed right out the other ear because Finishese is a language I just don't speak.

Thusly, I determined - because I'm trying to sell these for a low price point at which a teeny profit would be nice - that I could not afford to spend an inordinate amount of time on the finishing process. So, I sanded to 400, did a quick wipe with BLO while on the lathe, parted it off, and the sprayed some lacquer (from a can) on the whole batch (6) while they sat on a turntable. Three coats. No buffing.

Had never used lacquer before. Now I know why everyone raves about it.

Another product was strongly recommended - Arm - R - Seal, which sounds like an improved wipe-on poly. Had to mail order that and it hasn't shown up yet, but I'll be trying that stuff on another batch one day.

Thanks, Andy

John Hart
11-28-2005, 4:30 PM
I think I noticed a couple of things like this in your graveyard Andy! :p

These are definitely a great idea!

Behind every great man, there's a woman who..... (you can finish it :D )

Jim Ketron
11-28-2005, 5:11 PM
I like-em!
Great job Andy, they should do well!

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-28-2005, 7:24 PM
Lookin' good to me, too, Andy. Your daughter at lease should get "Royalties" off each one sold.

Bruce

Bill Stevener
11-28-2005, 8:53 PM
Very nice Andy,
I would think they should sell very well.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Travis Stinson
11-28-2005, 8:58 PM
Very cool! I think you'll like the Arm-R-Seal. I've used it a couple times and it seems to hold up very well and is easy to apply.;)

Ernie Nyvall
11-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Very cool Andy. They look great. Good idea.

Ernie