PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia - it is worth turning?

Chip Sutherland
11-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Buddy in the path of Rita has offered up some magnolia. He's a carver but there is more wood than he can carve in a lifetime. So is it worth turning?

Travis Stinson
11-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Yes it is! :)

Mario Brissette
11-27-2005, 11:59 PM
One of my friend is looking for a place where they can sell magnolia, and ship it to Canada. Do you know a place for that ? Every place he found keep only 4/4 and I think he need something like 6/4 or 8/4. Not long piece but large one. If I remember, he wants it for turning chess pieces. With a 8/4, he will have enough room. Thanks !

Doug Jones
11-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Yes it is! :)
I agree.
Nice yellow wood.

John Hart
11-28-2005, 7:03 AM
Glenn Hodges has done some wonderful work with Magnolia...Here's one http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24094&highlight=magnolia

Jim Becker
11-28-2005, 7:17 AM
First rule of turning...EVERYTHING is worth turning. It's one of the beauties of the "sport"...you can work with things that folks wouldn't even consider using as firewood or mulch... ;)

Chip Sutherland
11-28-2005, 2:00 PM
Yep, I knew this response would show up sooner or later. Too bad I converted my fireplace to gas....cause I also got rid of my firewood stack, too. Not that I really need a fireplace in Dallas anyhow.

Dennis Peacock
11-29-2005, 10:01 AM
YUP!!!!!! Get it....turn it.....nice stuff. So far, I haven't seen a wood that isn't worth turning, in my opinion......EXCEPT Oak. ;) :D

Carole Valentine
11-29-2005, 12:34 PM
YUP!!!!!! Get it....turn it.....nice stuff. So far, I haven't seen a wood that isn't worth turning, in my opinion......EXCEPT Oak. ;) :D I agree with you on the oak, Dennis! I hate that stuff and I don't think it's pretty even after it's turned! Unfortunately the majority of trees in our Easter Shore forrests are oak (next to pine, which I also hate).

John Hart
11-29-2005, 1:00 PM
I agree with you on the oak, Dennis! I hate that stuff and I don't think it's pretty even after it's turned! Unfortunately the majority of trees in our Easter Shore forrests are oak (next to pine, which I also hate).

Ya know....If you tell Jim Ketron, I bet he'll cut all those nasty ol' oak and pine trees down for ya. Then you can be like Johnny Cherryseed or Johnny Mapleseed and repopulate the area.... You'll need to wear a kilt though.:rolleyes:

Mark Cothren
11-29-2005, 1:13 PM
Well, Dennis gave me a chunk of Oak about a week ago and if it holds together and looks as good dry as it did green, then I may just change my opinion of Oak...:cool: :D

Stevan Hopkins
01-12-2019, 9:46 AM
Glad to here from some that magnolia is ok to turn. I have a chance to get some, but I think I will let it lay around for a while to see if I ca get some spalting.
BTW: attached (I hope I did it right) are some oak bowls that I have done...I think they look ok.