PDA

View Full Version : anyone done an application for Sons/Daughters of the American Revolution

Roger Feeley
10-03-2018, 10:16 AM
I think I have all the necessary documentation but the way the application is worded seems odd. Have any Creekers gone through this?

Cory Newman
10-03-2018, 10:46 AM
I just did this for myself and two sons, almost 100 years to the date my grandfather did.

Luckily I had my grandfathers certificate and numbers so they were able to find it in their paper records in Iowa, and a gentlemen there took it and ran with it for me.

He also tied me out to Washington's Valley Forge and the Mayflower while he was at it.

Roger Feeley
10-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Huh? I'm being told that I have to start from scratch even though several people in my family tree were members and I have their applications. Were you able to to leverage your grandfathers membership and not have to go all the way back?

Also, I'm told that if you apply, they will appoint a sort of mentor to help you get things organized. I just need to figure out how to get close with the application.

I just did this for myself and two sons, almost 100 years to the date my grandfather did.

Luckily I had my grandfathers certificate and numbers so they were able to find it in their paper records in Iowa, and a gentlemen there took it and ran with it for me.

He also tied me out to Washington's Valley Forge and the Mayflower while he was at it.

Cory Newman
10-03-2018, 2:28 PM
I was able to leverage my grandfathers membership. I only had to show how my son's tied to me, tied to my father and they took it from there. My mentor or whatever you want to call him ran with it from there and had it all tied out within a matter of hours and sent me pictures of my patriots grave site and everything. In so doing he discovered that my patriots wife was also in his tree and showed me how to tie her out to the Mayflower. Other than the application fee, it was virtually painless for me.

Although I currently reside in Texas, my ancestors are from Iowa and my grandfather had an Iowa certificate, so I reached out to the Iowa board and inquired about how to do this for my sons. They did all the research and completed the application. All I had to do was sign it and pay the fee.

Tom M King
10-03-2018, 4:33 PM
According to ancestry dot com, I'm a direct descendant of 5 American Revolutionary War soldiers from the county I grew up in. My 3rd GGF, Captain Charles King, was considered a hero. I contacted someone at SAR, and they said I needed birth certificates. I didn't bother to check past that. What is the advantage of being a member?

Jim Andrew
10-03-2018, 7:44 PM
I haven't bothered to try, did find my family served in the MD militia, 6 great grandpa led the salt riot in Caroline county, and raised a company of militia, and served as captain. Most of his sons served as well as sil's,brothers, nephews, just about everybody in the family. Have no idea how to prove my ancestry.

Frederick Skelly
10-03-2018, 9:07 PM
What is the advantage of being a member?

Mostly just bragging rights, from what I can tell. And like anything else, there's always somebody who gets a big head about such things. But I think it would still be very cool to trace your family back to the revolution if you can.

Perry Hilbert Jr
10-03-2018, 9:52 PM
I have done an extensive amount of genealogical research. Beginning when I was a teen and most recently, it took me about 6 weeks to find an adoptees' birth parents. If you just want to know about ancestors, there are a couple of free sites, like family search.org, run by the Mormon Church. Wikitree has some good information. OF the pay sites, Ancestry is the best for North American lineage. I am a history nut. I found by searching through my tree, that in a way, history was put in context. The civil was means a little more when you learn that your great grandfather lost two brothers at Andersonville. Another part of the family was on the other side and was for a time at the deplorable Union POW camp at point lookout Maryland. That relative told a story of how he fell ill and a fellow Confederate soldier, who was black, stold some supplies to nurse him and others back to health. I am pretty sure, he was referring to Richard Poplar, the Black Confederate who was famous throughout Virginia for his anti-union speeches after the war. . Richard Poplar set up an infirmary in the prison with what few supplies he could gather and he saved many White and Black Confederate soldiers from illnesses and wounds. Another of my Ancestors met with William Penn and John Ames in Germany. The Quakers of Kriegsheim were having their property confiscated for taxes because the refused to pay the tax to support the defense of Vienna from the Muslim invasion of 1683. In mid 1685 a Judge wrote to the Prince asking for permission to exile the troublesome Quakers and named the five families he referred to. In 1685, that Ancestor landed in Philadelphia and stirred that pot in 1689 when he and his friends meeting asked the Pennsylvania counsel to outlaw slavery. Two of Gearhardt's grandchildren went on to be Mayors of Philadelphia. Two of his great grandchildren, with John Wright, were the first white settlers west of the Susquehanna in the 1720's They were thrown off they property by Thomas Cresap and his thugs during Cresaps War in the 1730's, when Maryland fought Pennsylvania for the southern Susquehanna basin. On my Dad's side, relatives fought for both sides in the Revolution, but on settler from Alsace Lorraine was a gunsmith, and his children built long rifles for the Patriot side. (James and Jacob Angstadt near Kutztown PA) About 1911, my paternal grandfather ran away with his girlfriend and married in Wimington DE. He worked in the shipyard there building cabinets and installing fancy state rooms and officer's quarters. Modern diesel engines killed increased the speed of trips across the seas and the demand for ships died back, leaving many shibuilders out of business.

Roger Feeley
10-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Mostly just bragging rights, from what I can tell. And like anything else, there's always somebody who gets a big head about such things. But I think it would still be very cool to trace your family back to the revolution if you can.

i had recently retired and got curious when my cousin said I was eligible. No one in my lineage had applied in a hundred fifty years so I thought I would give it a go. My thinking is that it only gets harder from generation to generation. By establishing my eligibility, I am also setting a genealogical landmark for later generations.

If im successful, I might go to a meeting or two. But this is mostly a courtesy to my grandchildren.

Frederick Skelly
10-04-2018, 6:42 AM
i had recently retired and got curious when my cousin said I was eligible. No one in my lineage had applied in a hundred fifty years so I thought I would give it a go. My thinking is that it only gets harder from generation to generation. By establishing my eligibility, I am also setting a genealogical landmark for later generations.

If im successful, I might go to a meeting or two. But this is mostly a courtesy to my grandchildren.

Makes sense to me. I hope it goes well and that you enjoy it! Likewise, enjoy every minute of your retirement - you earned it!
Fred

Bruce Wrenn
10-04-2018, 9:28 PM
Wife has cousins on both sides (mother and father) who are DAR members, so for her it's easy. Except for the $250 charge for a piece of paper. Better yet, on father's side they can trace their roots back to John Smith's son selling them a piece of land in southern Virginia

Tom M King
10-04-2018, 10:04 PM
It couldn't have been the John Smith that was in Jamestown at the beginning. I'm sure there were many more later though. That John Smith left in 1609, never came back, and I don't think has any record of having descendants. My family came through there too, and has been between here, and Jamestown since then.

Bruce Wrenn
10-07-2018, 8:20 PM
It couldn't have been the John Smith that was in Jamestown at the beginning. I'm sure there were many more later though. That John Smith left in 1609, never came back, and I don't think has any record of having descendants. My family came through there too, and has been between here, and Jamestown since then.Over at the Warren Plantation at Fort Smith is where they trace their linage to. Rolfe sold land to Warren family.

Roger Feeley
10-22-2018, 3:28 PM
Thanks to all. I just signed the application for myself and two grandsons.

My son-in-law was born in Moscow and isn't interested in looking into the Sons of the Russian Revolution. That's not surprising. He grew up in Toronto but wanted to be a US citizen all his life. He's been a naturalized US citizen for about 5 years now and is a Senior Fellow at the Cato Institute. That's about as not-Russian as you can get.