PDA

View Full Version : Heavy door hinges, help for repair or replace?

Ken Platt
10-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Folks -

I was trying to take a pair of heavy (70 lb each) french doors off so as to work around them, and the hinge pins were very difficult to get to move. I eventually, with some PB blaster and fiddling and hammering, got one set of hinge pins out. The other door, I got the bottom pin out, but the upper two (three hinges per door) just wouldn't come. A lot of work, and, probably, too much hammering, got out one of the really stuck pins, but it has a heavy score running down the bottom half of the pin. I tried reinserting one of the other, undamaged, pins into that hinge, but it won't go in more than about an inch. The uppermost hinge pin is stuck about 1/3 of the way out, and won't go back in either. THe picture below is that top hinge (turned sideways so I could get a better picture)

The door, at least up until now, has seems to work smoothly and close well, so I am baffled as to what could be going on with these hinges to make the pins so unremovable and how they and the hinge leaves have gotten so damaged.

So, I'm looking for help either fixing these hinges (is that possible?) or finding a replacement that could go right into the same mortise. THese hinges are Stanley brand, 4 inches long by 4 inches wide(open leaf), with a corner radius that as best I can tell is 5/8". (The only other radius I have seen in searching is 1/4", and these are certainly not that. It was tough to measure accurately, though). Stanley seems to have switched their hardware to "National Hardware" , and I'm having a very hard time finding hinges with this screw hole pattern, this size, and rated for heavy doors like these.

It's been a frustrating few hours trying to sort this out. Any assistance or suggestions, with either repair or finding a replacement would be greatly appreciated. Any leads on online hardware places that have a large hinge selection would also be appreciated. Regards,

Ken

Jay Jolliffe
10-02-2018, 12:33 PM
You can get these @ Lowes Or HD...If you can't find the radius ones you could put in square ones....Just chisel the radius out...

Barry McFadden
10-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Just to be clear... are you trying to remove the pins while the door is still connected to the door frame or have you unscrewed the hinges from the frame so there is no pressure on the hinges which should make it easier to pound the pins out....

Jay Jolliffe
10-02-2018, 1:28 PM
That may make it a lot easier to remove the pins.....

Ken Platt
10-02-2018, 1:44 PM
I was trying to remove the pins with the door still connected; I was concerned that if I took out the screws, they might not go back in securely. I took the pressure off, or thought I did, by putting a support under the door.

Now, though, I figure I have no choice but to just unscrew the hinges from the frame. I was just waiting on thoughts here in case someone had the magic answer....hey, you never know.

I had thought that likely the screws were long ones given the weight of the door, but I took one out just now and it's just a 3/4 inch long regular, small, hinge screw. I'm amazed that even with 8 per hinge they were able to support that door.

Ken

John K Jordan
10-02-2018, 1:51 PM
You can make radius gauges from thin wood or plastic or something: drill a hole then cut into quadrants. For the long run a good set of precision radius gauges can be very useful in the shop.

I dont worry about matching he old hole pattern. Just drill new pilot holes, plugging the old holes if necssary. A small plug cutter is handy here.

Most hinges are held with short screws. They hold fine dpending on the wood they are going into. When installing hinges I like to substitute at least one longer screw on each hinge, one that will go through the shimmed casing (if present) and into the framing lumber below. It's important not to torque tne long screws too much to keep from warping he casing. I usually add wedges behind the long screws. Of course, if the trim is not removed I can't do this so I jus drill the proper piolet and clearance holes and tighten the long screws by hand.

I'm sure you checked, but if not: I've had hinges with a set screw to hold the pin for security.

JKJ

Mel Fulks
10-02-2018, 2:09 PM
Is it possible that some of those hinges are ball bearing? Look up the catalog numbers.

Tom M King
10-02-2018, 2:42 PM
Just get replacement hinges, take the screws out, and replace one at the time. For doors that heavy, I'd use ball bearing hinges. Those aren't ball bearing hinges. If you can't find that radius corner, get square ones, and chisel out the corners to fit. Longer screws are available, even in no. 9 size.

Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Bearing-Brass-Plated-Hinges/dp/B00DYUT0LS

Even though the hole pattern is not the same, plug any of the old holes you need to with a glued in piece of wood. Use a VIX bit to drill pilots for new ones. It will actually be better that the holes don't match.

These Baldwin ones might work, but the Stanley ball bearing ones are cheaper, and would be my first choice: https://doorhardwaresupply.com/?page=products&action=view&manufacturerID=6&productID=1140-I&linkID=13438&sku=1140-I-003&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrszdBRDWARIsAEEYhrf_X10biHSRuziiNaZh kfvkYIwVXy5BtGBDAcYYW2CiQJ0iN7wlmAYaAkHmEALw_wcB

Google found plenty of: 4" brass butt hinges 5/8" corner radius

Ken Platt
10-02-2018, 8:07 PM
Oh, John Jordan, were where you last night when I needed you? No, I didn't check, I had never heard of a set screw on hinges, but a few minutes ago I took the door down by unscrewing the hinges, took one off, went down to the shop into better light, saw the set screw, and said quite a few bad words. I came back to post about me being a moron, and lo and behold, there was your post with the answer. I've made my share of stupid repair mistakes, but this one is right up there, mostly for the sheer pigheadedness of continuing to try to hammer out the pin in the belief that it was just stuck.

Tom, thanks, I wasn't using the correct search terms I guess. And, of course, you are right about plugging the old holes and drilling new being the best bet. I just wasn't thinking it through.

Bruce Wrenn
10-02-2018, 9:24 PM
They are called NRP hinges. NRP stands for non removable pin

John K Jordan
10-03-2018, 2:41 AM
Oh, John Jordan, were where you last night when I needed you? ...

I was driving around the Italian mountains, trying to read the signs, stopping at wonderful little places for coffee, and enjoying the specectacular scenery. It's a terrible sacrifice but someone has to do it. :). I'm glad you got the hinge mystery solved!!

JKJ