11-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Any suggestions on a detail sander?

Bob

tod evans
11-27-2005, 11:15 AM
fein. .02 tod

Ron Teti
11-27-2005, 12:28 PM
so the fien is a good detail sander. I just got the multimaster and I was hoping I could use it as a detail sander too:)

John Miliunas
11-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Fein MultiMaster. End of story!:D :cool:

Mark Singer
11-27-2005, 1:03 PM
Fein MultiMaster. End of story!:D :cool:

VS or SS (single speed)?

I thought you specialized in things that spin....not vibrate?:rolleyes:

John Miliunas
11-27-2005, 1:10 PM
VS or SS (single speed)?

I thought you specialized in things that spin....not vibrate?:rolleyes:

VS, absolutely!:)

I specialize in making woodchips, sawdust and kindling!:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Mark Singer
11-27-2005, 1:14 PM
VS, absolutely!:)

I specialize in making woodchips, sawdust and kindling!:rolleyes: :D :cool:

The "vs" is "very special"...is it a lot of $$$$

Scott Larson
11-27-2005, 2:00 PM
Todd or John,<o =""></o>
Have either of you tried the Festool DX93? I've wondered how these tools (Fein and Festool) compare purely from the detail sanding aspect (although I recognize the Fein can do a number of other useful things). I was talking to a Festool rep who used to be a Fein rep and his criticism with the multimaster was that it has such a small contact patch and repetitive motion while sanding that it sands great for just a bit but then the sandpaper is used up (needing to be rotated). Certainly his criticisms are suspect as he is a Festool employee but I’ve not had the opportunity to try out a Dx93 (never on display at my local Festool dealer) so his opinion is all I have heard. With the current pricing, it's certainly in line with the Fein and might be worth taking a look.
<o =""></o>
I have a Bosch 1294 detail sander and would describe it’s performance as adequate but not inspiring. In use it can be a bit cumbersome and difficult to control. It also doesn’t get into as tight of spaces since the design of the head and pad mount is larger and less adjustable than the fein or festool. Finally, the cost of consumables is way out of line. I suppose if I’m looking for good points, it does have built in dust collection (when using the delta pad) and is made in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1 =""><st1:country-region u1:st="on"><st1 ="">Switzerland</st1></st1:country-region></st1></st1:country-region> ;-)

-Scott
<o ="">
</o>

tod evans
11-27-2005, 2:14 PM
scott, i have never used a festool anything so can`t comment one way or another on them.......i do use the pneumatic version of the multimaster just about everyday and have found it to be agressive yet smooth. as for paper use.....you can buy good paper or cheap paper. personally i gum up paper sanding clear pine more than wear it out. on oak i can sand a couple hundred feet of moulding before changing the paper. hope this helps? tod

John Miliunas
11-27-2005, 3:41 PM
The "vs" is "very special"...is it a lot of $$$$

Mark, the basic setup is right around two bills. You can get into some of their more extravagant packages, which include additional cutting, grout-removing, specialized tools, etc... :rolleyes: :)

Scott, I don't have the DX93, nor have I had the opportunity to test drive one. However, I do have four other Festool sanders and believe that their dust extraction abilities is second to none! That, of course, does lend itself to longer wear on the sanding media, as well. :) (BTW, I'm sort of a "Festool Junkie" to begin with!:D )

That said, had I been looking specifically for a detail sander, the DX93 would have been on my "short list". I actually bought the Fein for some of its scraping and close-quarter cutting abilities. The sanding part of it, I quite frankly, had not even used until just recently, to do some cleanup on some rabbets. Did a great job for me there, as well! :)

Hence, strictly detail sanding? Festool is probably the way to go. If, OTOH, you've got "other" needs out of a single tool, which happens to do all of those needs quite well, then the Fein gets my "nod".:) :cool:

Frank Pellow
11-27-2005, 4:11 PM
I can tell what you should not get. Don't get a Dremel Model 6000. :( I have burned out motors on two of them. One was under waranty; one was not and Dremel would not do anything about it in spite of the history. :mad: I have heard from others who butned out the motors on theirs.

I have the Festool DX93 and I really like it. :) But, the pad is too large for some applications. I have suggested to Festool that they support a smaller pad as an option and they thanked me for the suggestion. Your guess is as good as mine as to what that "thanks" means. :confused:

Greg Heppeard
11-27-2005, 4:31 PM
I currently have the VS Multimaster...went thru 2 Dremels and a PC b4 I got the Fein. I like it Fein