PDA

View Full Version : King Canada Dado

Mark Kristan
10-02-2018, 7:48 AM
Has anyone ever used their 8" 24 tooth stacked dado set? King Canada is a bargain brand here in Canada, I guess you get what you pay for, but it's the only one I ever used and I'm looking for feedback regarding whether an upgrade would give a smoother dado bottom. That is my problem with the cuts I am getting, the bottom is pretty rough and I have to clean it up with a router bit (and hope I don't accidentally increase the width of the dado). Freud is readily available where I live, their SD508 (super dado) is twice the price but also twenty-four teeth, I wonder if it would significantly increase the smoothness of the cut. Any other suggestions for a dado set? (Forrest's is very expensive here).

Rod Sheridan
10-02-2018, 8:08 AM
Hi Mark, I have an FS Tools dado, flat bottom, made in Canada................Rod.

Aaron Rosenthal
10-02-2018, 8:41 AM
I have the Freud dado set and generally have been satisfied with the bottom - but as a contractor.
But as my skill set increases for building furniture I now tend to either set up a router fo more than 3-4 cuts or grab my router plane to smooth out the bottoms without increasing the width.

Peter Christensen
10-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Another avenue to explore. Contact a good sharpening service in your area and find out how much they will charge to resharpen the set. They can just take off enough to even up all the teeth and likely grind a sharper than new edge. Here in Stoon it would cost somewhere in the neighbourhood of $20 to $30.

Peter Christensen
10-02-2018, 4:32 PM
Hi Mark, I have an FS Tools dado, flat bottom, made in Canada................Rod.

I just saw (no pun intended) a set of those and they are just under $350Can. Very nicely made like all their blades.

Ray Newman
10-02-2018, 8:27 PM
Peter Christensen-- post #4 -- is onto it!

I have an polder Delta 8" dado set that first cut to an irregular depth.

Brought he whole set down to the local saw service and had all the chippers and outside cutters ground to the same diameter and then sharpened. Easy fix. Just remember to have the whole set reground every sharpening or you'll soon have the same problem.