PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on moderately priced sharpeners

Bill Jobe
10-01-2018, 6:05 PM
I want to buy a moderately priced sharpening system.
Things change fast it today's market, so searching for posts on the subject became....burdensome.
Any members want to help bring me up to today's speed and perhaps suggestions on what to consider buying?
I suppose my upper limit would be $400-500.

Sorry folks. Poor spelling in thread title and was unable to figure out how to edit a title, so that's moderately 'priced'.

glenn bradley
10-01-2018, 6:40 PM
Edit your post and click "go advanced" to correct your title if you want but, we got it ;-)

What do you want to sharpen? Chisels and plane irons get one answer, carving tools get another and turning tools yet another. For flat square items like chisels and plane irons, the Worksharp 3000 has earned its keep in my shop for many years. that doesn't mean I don't have a Kell guide and a Scary Sharp system along with an array of diamond plates and stones but, you can do a lot of work up to a pretty usable edge with the WS3K alone.

Jim Dwight
10-01-2018, 7:13 PM
I have owned water stones, oil stones, a water lubricated motorized stone sharpener, and now a WorkSharp 3000. I use an inexpensive grinder for deep nicks and the WorkSharp for everything else. I sharpen my planner knives on it as well as chisels and plane irons. It is very easy to use and does a good job relatively quickly. I have not used it for carving tools or turning tools but it has special abrasives for them so you can use the underside of the glass platten and still see the tool (there are little windows in the sandpaper abrasive). I bought an additional platten and finer abrasives but if I had it to do over I would just stick with the range of abrasives it comes with. It's all you really need.

I'm sure there are other good systems but I doubt I will ever try them. The Worksharp works. I have the knife attachment too and it works also (but it's a little harder to remember how to set up).

Bill Jobe
10-01-2018, 7:40 PM
For hs steel woodturning tools

Derek Cohen
10-01-2018, 7:48 PM
Get an 8" bench grinder along with a CBN wheel (2 are better). Contact Woodturners Wonders for advice on the grits. I use 80- and 180 grit, however most of what I grind is bench chisels and plane blades. Youncould go 180- and 360 grit. This system could last a few decades, or longer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Van Huskey
10-01-2018, 8:12 PM
I would suggest you ask this on the Turners sub-forum you will get more detailed answers. My suggestion would be the Rikon 1hp grinder and a pair of CBD wheels. Woodturners Wonders has package deals with the wheels and grinder.

Rod Sheridan
10-02-2018, 8:12 AM
For wood turning tools I use a low speed 8" grinder and a belt grinder........The belt grinder has an enormous range of grits, even a leather belt............Regards, Rod.

roger wiegand
10-02-2018, 8:46 AM
For turning, the 1hp rikon 1800 rpm grinder with one or two CBN wheels, depending on your sharpening preferences and practices. I get by with one 180 grit wheel and hit the edge with a slipstone when I occasionally need something finer.

Prashun Patel
10-02-2018, 10:11 AM
You will also need to factor in platforms. One way makes a good, fairly complete system.

ChrisA Edwards
10-02-2018, 10:24 AM
For wood turning tools, I have one of these, a Robert Sorby Pro Edge. It's right at the top of your budget boy $500.

This was the tool they used down at Woodcraft when I took two turning classes.

Lots of videos out on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KetD9UuzMmI.

I built myself a bench and mounted it on a mixer lift so I could have easy access to it when needed.
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/Work%20Bench/DSC_0161a_zpstmbsvoch.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/cedwards874/Woodworking/Work%20Bench/WB-3_zpsqfg0rdhs.jpg
I haven't used mine yet, just haven't found time to drag the lathe out an make shavings.

Randy Heinemann
10-02-2018, 12:39 PM
I own the Worksharp 3000 but, over the years, found hand sharpening with a good jig and stones works better for me. I now use the Lie Nielsen guide and a series of diamond and Shapton stones. My chisels have never been sharper. The Worksharp is one of the easiest sharpening systems to use but I have found hand sharpening with the diamond and Shapton stones to be out as easy after a little practice with better results.