PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Computer Help

Ken Salisbury
07-01-2003, 1:28 PM
As I normally do from time to time, I went to the Microsoft Windows Update page to download the "critical updates" which I have done numerous times in the past to keep my Windows Home XP updated.

After the update I noticed an abnormality in my Front Page program in that the hyperlinks and thumbnail functions were not working when using the "preview" feature on a given page.

After some frustration - thinking something was fouled with my Front Page
I did a "system restore" to a previous day. Everything worked as normal.

In an attempt to determine which of the updates may have caused the problem, I went back and downloaded the 9 critical update files one at a time, checking Front Page after each download. First one worked just fine.
After downloading the 2nd one - Front Page problem reappeared. When I tried the "system restore" after that to get back to where everthing worked I got a error message about corrupt files in kontiki.exe (or something like that). suggesting I do a "Disk check". I did that and several corrupted files were discovered and messages indicated that "check disk" had done something (God only knows what to correct -- messages flew by so fast on the screen I couldn't read em).

After "system restore" and "disk check" - things seemed to work ok.

HOWEVER: I shut down my computer yesterday (usually leave it on 24/7. Now whenever I restart the pute I get an error message that "Kontiki Client" has a problem.

Another clue which may help: I cannot enter the SMC Chat room using the link from SMC Home Page. Nor can I enter the Java Script Chat room on one of my web sites. So I suspect there is also some Java problem (not sure about this). I am able to get into SMC Chat room using Trillion software.

So -- -- please -- someone help me understand what this Kontiki stuff is and if I have some Java Script problem.
Getting dumber by the minute. The longer I look, the dumber I get --

If you are a guest here and have the answer you can e-mail (ken@klsal.com) me
HELP !!

Jim Becker
07-01-2003, 1:48 PM
So -- -- please -- someone help me understand what this Kontiki stuff is and if I have some Java Script problem.
Getting dumber by the minute. The longer I look, the dumber I get --

According to the Google search I just did, the "Kontiki Client" is a peer-to-peer networking client that was probably installed (without your knowledge) by some application you loaded. It's not something that's part of Windows. The Windows update probably "broke" it...

BTW, when you install updates with Windows Update, you generally can remove them individually via the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs utility, rather than doing a full restore. Keep the system restore as a last resort...

Ken Salisbury
07-01-2003, 1:55 PM
According to the Google search I just did, the "Kontiki Client" is a peer-to-peer networking client that was probably installed (without your knowledge) by some application you loaded. It's not something that's part of Windows. The Windows update probably "broke" it...

BTW, when you install updates with Windows Update, you generally can remove them individually via the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs utility, rather than doing a full restore. Keep the system restore as a last resort...

Thanks Jim -- the use of the Add/Remove Programs is what I used when I went back and tried them one at a time. When I did that it still created a problem with my Front Page software.

I may go back later tonight andtry to update again after I delete the Kontiki files from my computer (not sure yet whether that is wise to do since I don't know if that is used by some other program I have installed.)

Glenn Clabo
07-01-2003, 2:16 PM
I may go back later tonight andtry to update again after I delete the Kontiki files from my computer (not sure yet whether that is wise to do since I don't know if that is used by some other program I have installed.)

Ken,
You might look for the file dates of Kontiki and of a program that requires file download management that has been installed on the same date. That should be the only program that would have a problem if you dumped it. Per it's site..."Kontiki DMS 2.0 is an excellent, practical application of grids, and an ingenious solution to the hassle of moving big files around networks of thousands of nodes."

Just a thought...