PDA

View Full Version : Ritter 701 Edge Sander

Mike King
09-30-2018, 12:30 PM
I missed the opportunity on the Powermatic OES, so now am looking at a 1992 vintage Ritter 701 sander purportedly in excellent condition. I understand that it isn't an oscillating sander, but is that really much of an issue for a hobby shop? Any issues that I should be aware of? What would you say a fair price would be for the sander? The owner is asking for $900...

Mike

glenn bradley
09-30-2018, 12:48 PM
More of an issue for a hobby shop IMHO. Pro shops do a lot of power sanding and thick film spray finishes. In my shop, power sanding is just the beginning, just as material off the planer is just beginning its journey toward a finished piece. The closer my power sander can get me to "done" the less hand work I have to do. Material off the drum sander, even using finer grits, is still a long way from getting finish applied due to the machine's scratch pattern. Oscillating features minimize this when compared to non-oscillating machines.

Van Huskey
09-30-2018, 1:24 PM
Personally, I would not but a non-oscillating edge sander but you can angle the tables on the Ritter and sand on a bias and move the stock back and forth. IIRC that Ritter is a 4" wide belt which makes bias sanding more difficult for pieces of any significant height. Personally, I want oscillation and at least a 6" belt but Ritter makes a decent light duty commercial machine and $900 is not a great deal nor a bad deal if it is in good shape.

Martin Wasner
09-30-2018, 2:30 PM
I think I sold mine for about that price.

It's a fine edge sander, nothing special, or fantastic but they work well enough and have a decent build quality.

Dave Cav
09-30-2018, 4:47 PM
I have an Acme non-oscillating 4 x 60" edger. It's a lot like the Ritter, and it works just fine. Normally I keep the table angled and move the stock. It was a big improvement to my shop and it's probably one of the last machines I would sell. Dust collection is a bit of a challenge but nothing's perfect.

Mike King
10-01-2018, 1:38 PM
Thanks. Would you prefer a new Grizzly like the G0512 or the G0563?

Cary Falk
10-01-2018, 1:48 PM
I wouldn't buy a non oscillating sander either. Foy <$1200 you can get the Jet which is plenty good for a hobbiest. I boughtvfcthe Jet some years ago.