PDA

View Full Version : Kiln

Peter Blair
09-30-2018, 10:51 AM
I can't remember all the names of the turners who's information I read before making my Stand UP Freezer Kiln but would like to give a blanket thanks to all who have posted about theirs. I waited for about 2 years until someone finally offered me a free freezer. I quickly converted it drilling three 2" holes, one on each side near the bottom and one in the center of the top. Last week I was lucky enough to get a bunch of Red Maple and have been trying to turn as much of it as I can before it dries. The kiln seems to be working even better than I had hoped. One experiment was I turned a 5" tall thin open vase shape (photos) dried to our humidity in 3 days. This piece has two branches in it and neither on cracked or split, the dark line that is visible below the know in the last photo is just a black line. I have never had this kind of luck with Microwave drying or any other drying. One of the hollow forms lost about 20% of it's weight overnight without splits. At present i am just using a 40 watt light but and not changing to a higher wattage as I keep adding pieces daily.

Alex Zeller
09-30-2018, 12:29 PM
I haven't made one yet because, like you, I'm looking for a free freezer. I did come across a Watlow temperature controller on ebay. It's basically a 120v box that has a 120v outlet on it and a temperature probe. You just use up and down arrow buttons to set the temp you would like and it'll adjust the power going to the lamp (or what ever you use for heat) to maintain it. So now I'm excited to use it.

Don Frank
10-02-2018, 8:51 AM
I use an old dishwasher for a kiln. Remove the motor and guts from the bottom and you'll have a hole where the motor mounted. Find a reflector that drops down into the opening with a 60w bulb for the heat source. I cut all the upright wires off of the baskets, the ones that hold the cups and plates upright so you just have an open baskets. I put a piece of sheet metal on the bottom basket to difuse the heat from the bulb below. I had a spare thermometer from a turkey fryer so I drilled a hole in the door and slid the probe in so I can check the temperature. A dishwasher is already self venting so no other holes are cut. Mine works much better if I load it up with as many green bowls etc that I can fit into it. Shut the door and don't open it for at least two weeks (this is important). In about three weeks the moisture level is down to 10-11%. Because the kiln is loaded full the humidity builds up and is very slowly released much like the paper bag trick that we've all used. My inside temperature will be in the 90-100 degree range.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-03-2018, 1:24 AM
Did you try looking for a recycled or used furniture place? I got mine there. Over here a "company" has to follow the EPA guidelines and scrap a fridge/freezer without freon/oil and pay a dump fee. I'm sure they would be glad for you to take it off their hands. He even helped me load mine on the truck.

Eugene Dixon
10-03-2018, 7:21 AM
Anyone ever try to use a commercial warming oven? I have access to one but no space. Since the warming heater is broken I was thinking a light bulb and a HW tank thermostat would make a warming system---but then I haven't given it a lot of thought since I don't have space.

Shawn Pachlhofer
10-03-2018, 8:59 AM
How about using a commercial dough proofing cabinet? Seems like that would be easy to use?

Peter Blair
10-03-2018, 10:23 AM
Shawn I believe any insulated cabinet with a large enough volume and shelves would work just fine. The upright freezer fits the bill and usually there are some heading to the dump.

Leo Van Der Loo
10-03-2018, 6:03 PM
Shawn I believe any insulated cabinet with a large enough volume and shelves would work just fine. The upright freezer fits the bill and usually there are some heading to the dump.

You are right Peter, I used a fully insulated cabin, walls doors ceiling and floor, and stuck my pre dried (paper bag) rough turned bowls in there to totally dry and condition.

After I moved to my new place I did have over 1000 pre turned bowls, dry and matured, (some better than 20 years old at that time) they now sit in my storage shed and in my shop, Overhead rack double deep)

394386 394387

Peter Blair
10-04-2018, 9:29 AM
So Leo how many lifetimes do you think you have left? What i see here would last me about 10!

Leo Van Der Loo
10-04-2018, 4:09 PM
I’m not worried about that Peter, I had fun turning all those and many more, but, when I’m done turning, I mean DONE :D, it’s someone else’s problem, you know it is wood, nice and dry and will burn just fine :eek: if no-one wants to return these that is.

Peter Blair
10-05-2018, 9:26 AM
Right on Leo and I guess everyone knows it grows on trees!!!