PDA

View Full Version : Strange board?

steven c newman
09-29-2018, 9:36 AM
Not even sure IF it even is wood...
This was with a small stack of flooring "shorts". I earlier had run this and the other six pieces through a Lunchbox planer, to remove the factory finish, and those grooves they use on the underside....Boss likes the grain...thought I could use it above the fireplace insert, in the project I'm working on.....

Tried to cut it to the length needed....ever hear a bandsaw squeak in the cuts? I also ripped the tongue part of...more squeaks....end grain?
After the bandsaw cut. Tried to shoot the end...#62 squeaked and squawked....same with where the tongue was..
The rest of the stack looked like normal oak flooring...but this one?
Here is the rest of them. Any clues as to that ?

Malcolm Schweizer
09-29-2018, 9:59 AM
That is Cumuru. It's also known by its trade name, "Brazilian Teak." It's hard as hard can be. You have to predrill it to put screws into it. It's a common product for high-end decking.

Brian Hale
09-29-2018, 10:02 AM
My first thought was Ipe. Is the dust green and a bit sticky?

steven c newman
09-29-2018, 10:16 AM
White and fluffy is what the #62 filled up with...will need a new bandsaw blade, now.

David Myers
09-29-2018, 5:53 PM
White and fluffy is what the #62 filled up with...will need a new bandsaw blade, now.

Yikes.

As for bandsaw squeaking, only when I've cut pvc.

Maybe you can use that piece as a source for wear strips for something.

steven c newman
09-30-2018, 12:08 AM
Bandsaw blade was getting worn out, anyway....loaded a brand new blade on the saw..no squealing..

Had to narrow the width by about an inch. Pre-drilled every hole....even used a self-drilling screw.....and still snapped a screw head off! There is a 1 x 1 pine cleat on the inside...and two metal "L" brackets to hold it in place.....second screw snapped in the bracket....even waxing the threads didn't help....Rest of the 6 boards were just normal hardwood....no more squeaks.
Most of it will be behind the flange the heater uses to attach to the case....may see a thin strip?