PDA

View Full Version : Great Parallel Clamp Rack...

Derek Arita
11-26-2005, 9:07 PM
You all may already know about these racks. They're sold as outdoor tool racks, but they also work great as Bessey clamp racks. They are 20" long and cost around $12 each. I'm going to try and attach a photo.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/HR13.aspx
No affiliation to Duluth. Just thought if you didn't already know, this might help as much as it helped me.

Allen Bookout
11-26-2005, 9:52 PM
That is a great tip. Thanks! Allen

Steve Rowe
11-27-2005, 9:55 AM
I agree - that is a great tip.
Derek - looks like you need to buy some more clamps to fill all that available space. :D
Steve

Alan Tolchinsky
11-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Just want to be sure Derek. You are talking about model no. DR13 right? That's the large picture at the top of the page. Also when you add all the weight to it do you notice any defromation near the plate area? This is a great idea if it can handle all the weight! Thanks. Alan

David LaRue
11-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Derek,

What is your source for these? And are those Jet clamps? :confused:

Derek Arita
11-27-2005, 1:33 PM
Yes. They are the HR13. Prongs are 20" long, 1 1/2" apart. They come in different configurations. As you can see, I mounted the racks onto a 3/4" peice of ply, then mounted that to the wall studs. I used 2 #10 screws to hold each rack onto the board, but I should have used larger screws or drilled more holes on the plate for more screws. I'll be making this mod asap. Each rack will hold 10 Jet parallel clamps, which are larger and heavier than Besseys, so you may be able to get more on depending on the brand of clamps you use. So far, there is very, very little deflection of the bars or the base plate of each rack when fully loaded.
I was using a single 20" long, shelf bracket in the same way these racks are being used. Problem is, since it was only a singe bracket, the clamps could easily slide off and fall if brushed against. Also, in a earthquake like we have in So Cal, all of my clamps could end up on the ground. After a lot of looking, I came up with these racks. These racks save me a lot of wall and floor space.

Peter Kuhlman
11-27-2005, 10:28 PM
I have been using these in various lengths (purchased from Duluth) with great success for about 2 years now. I have them in ~12" and ~20" and they hold a tremendous amount of weight when fully loaded with Besseys. My shop is extremely small and these were the best design I could find to store clamps in limited space. I have them screwed to a 2X6 anchored to the wall studs. They also hold my Bessey Tradesmans, Bessey Quickclamps and Jorgansons and others.
Pete in Louisiana

Chris Padilla
11-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Derek,

Nice solution...I'm in the Bay Area...know well what yer talkin' about! :)

Alan Tolchinsky
11-27-2005, 11:54 PM
I have the correct model no. too. :)

will mcmanus
11-29-2005, 3:11 AM
Does anyone else use these for other types of clamps besides bessey's? How about regular bar clamps or pipe clamps??? If so, how many of each could you fit on a rack?

Thanks
Wil McManus

Derek Arita
11-29-2005, 9:29 PM
The prongs are 1 1/2" apart, so I guess as long as your pipe is that demension or less, they should fit. I'm also using these racks for some conventional bessey bar clamps as well. I looked into making something similar, but the cost of the stock alone, was more than these racks cost already made up and painted. I couldn't beat that.