PDA

View Full Version : Sash window channel balances - work smoothly?

Stephen Tashiro
09-28-2018, 6:22 PM
In testing some 1990's vintage aluminum windows that have "sash channel balances", (E.g. Prime Line FA 2630 ). I find they open and close, but this takes some effort. Are windows like these designed to give the owner a work out?

I took the sash channel balances off to examine them. There is slight rust on the spring, but the cables, pulleys, and metal body of the channel balances are clean and don't appear worn.

Doug Garson
09-28-2018, 6:45 PM
Have you tried the obvious, lubricating the sliding surfaces with silicone spray or something similar?

Lee Schierer
09-28-2018, 9:10 PM
Have you tried the obvious, lubricating the sliding surfaces with silicone spray or something similar?

I recommend that you try this as well.

Stephen Tashiro
09-29-2018, 12:42 AM

Yes, but the sliding surfaces aren't a significant factor in these sash window balances. The strength of the spring is what resists the movement of the sash. The spring isn't adjustable.

In thinking about all the single hung aluminum windows, I've encountered, I don't remember any that were easy to open and close. This is the first time I've taken such windows apart to examine the mechanisms. It was suprising to find little pulleys and cords in addition to the spring.

Lee Schierer
09-29-2018, 8:36 AM
It was suprising to find little pulleys and cords in addition to the spring.

Did you try squirting some silicone on the pulley shafts? A stuck pulley will act as a brake.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-29-2018, 10:38 AM
I think it's a bad design, I've never seen any that work smoothly. It's a one size fits all type of balance, and they should have used a lighter one on that window. I have several in my house that go the other way, won't stay open because they are too weak that are the same balance as one that we can barely open in a bathroom that is much smaller.

I think there are replacements out there that will allow better control. I also have no idea why the font changed.... odd