PDA

View Full Version : Strange laser engraving issue

Sterling Wong
09-28-2018, 4:13 PM
Hello I have run into a strange issue and can't figure out what it is.

If you look at the images there is a "lighter engraving" as if it laser engraved very lightly outside the artwork. this happened maybe 5x times with different names, however one of the names engraved perfectly. I tested it again and it engraved fine, but the next day it did the same problem.

this was with the font Avenir, I adjusted the spacing of the text
Tried engraving as artistic text in coreldraw and also converted to curves. Same problem

Using a Trotec speedy 300

Bill George
09-28-2018, 7:59 PM
Check and set if your lens is tight in the holder

Kev Williams
09-28-2018, 11:31 PM
Interesting:
Look at the 'artifacts' on the plate in the form of semi-vertical lines, notice that from the angled edge of the M to the straight edge, the angle of the artifacts match the angle of the M, and the artifacts around and within the "e" are curved to match the e's curves, in both directions-

What's going on is the laser is never fully shutting off, and the angled and curved artifacts show the laser is firing while either leading into the letters, or trailing away from them, or both.

This could be a tickle issue, and should be adjustable...

Mike Null
09-29-2018, 12:17 PM
Switch the view in CorelDraw to wireframe and see if there is a background behind the letters. If so, delete it.

Otherwise contact Trotec tech support as Kev's idea may well be the cause.

Sterling Wong
09-29-2018, 11:24 PM
i'll try the wireframe view
Kevin how do I adjust the tickle issue. Is there a general term for it?

Sterling Wong
09-29-2018, 11:25 PM
or nm I will contact Trotec on how to adjust.

Scott Shepherd
09-30-2018, 10:06 AM
I agree, that's most likely the tickle adjustment. You should NEVER change that without having Trotec on the line. Each tube and brand of tube has it's own limits for it. Go over the limits and you can cause damage from what I've been told. Make sure you take a screen shot of that screen before changing anything in case you need to revert back.

Gold metallic is the most sensitive stuff I've seen and it's very common to see issues on gold metallic. It's a very simple fix. You just go into the settings and change the number, then run it and see if it's fixed. If not, change it again and try again. Takes about 10 minutes total.

Give Trotec a call Monday.