PDA

View Full Version : Granite Supplier

mike wallis
09-28-2018, 1:24 PM
Hello,
We use Laser Sketch for their black granite however they have been having some supply issues. They have been out of stock on some of the larger sizes such as 18x24". I was wondering if anyone has a alternate supplier for black granite (Small grain) that is similar to the MB Granite LS sells. Doesn't need to be exact but does need to have a small grain size as we do photo engraving on them. Laser bits sells almost the exact same but they do not carry anything larger than a 12x12" size. Any ideas??

Warm regards,
Mike

Alex Tzoulis
10-01-2018, 5:32 PM
Hello i have the same problem.
I have a large stock of AAA+ material but it is only 40 square cm

Chris DeGerolamo
10-02-2018, 8:21 AM
Try a local counter top manufacturer, you may even get lucky on some cheap drop pieces that may otherwise be trash for them.

Chris Achtschin
10-03-2018, 4:55 PM
I've never been able to find the small grain (Mongolian Black) tile other than at Lasersketch.
I'd be interested if anyone knows a source.

Kev Williams
10-04-2018, 2:29 PM
I just googled 'small grain mongolian black granite supplier, and got:

https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/mongolia-black-granite.html

no clue if it'll be any help?

Chris Achtschin
10-04-2018, 3:39 PM
Thanks Kev,
I think they are all in China, the shipping would make it cost prohibitive.

Alex Tzoulis
10-04-2018, 6:38 PM
This is natural material and have huge variations from batch to batch.
The tiles suitable for engraving must be hand picked for laser engraving to be AAA+ quality.
I have seen this material at least in 10 different qualities and of course to more pure the material is the cost is more.
The pure black without any crystals/admixtures/deficiencies is hard to find and it is expensive because it is rare.
Also almost all of black granite material that is sold is treated with black paint (this is the reason why is so black) and sometimes resin.
The black paint makes big trouble at engraving...
The most suppliers in alibaba have unknown quality that it is not hand picked.
The photos are not the actual material sold and from photo you can NOT check the quality for engraving.
Only physically inspection and testing the material in laser can give clear view of quality.
I have tried hard to find good material but i found pure material only in low dimensions... in bigger dimensions the material was not so good.
The quarry produces low volume blocks so it is very difficult to find big dimensions of pure material.
So iam searching almost 2 years now to find this material in big dimensions AAA+ quality without result..

Kev Williams
10-05-2018, 1:13 AM
is there any such a thing as cultured granite or marble that may work?

(just stabbin' in the dark, I don't engrave rocks!) :D

mike wallis
10-08-2018, 6:22 PM
I've never been able to find the small grain (Mongolian Black) tile other than at Lasersketch.
I'd be interested if anyone knows a source.

The only other place I found with the Mongolian black granite is Johnson Plastic (Laserbits). Their sizes however only go up to 12x12". There must be another suppliers of a small grain back granite.... I'll keep digging and post when I find a source.