PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you wear a watch while woodworking?

Thomas Crawford
09-27-2018, 3:20 PM
Title says it all. If you answer No and think its a safety issue, please comment.

(Couldn't figure out if you could post an actual poll here or not.)

Matt Day
09-27-2018, 3:41 PM
Odd question, but no. I don’t know anyone but my Dad who wears a watch at all.

Jim Becker
09-27-2018, 3:50 PM
I wear a belt-loop watch these days 100% of the time, not just in the shop. A watch on my wrist became uncomfortable to me a few years ago. My "shop watch" gets worn on a side loop, however, so that it doesn't get damaged when I lean into a tool or work surface.

Charles Lent
09-27-2018, 4:17 PM
Cell Phones are better time keepers than a watch, so I rarely wear a watch any more. I don't wear rings after catching my wedding band on a piece of machinery. It did painful damage and justified me not wearing one any more. My wife wasn't happy, but understood my reason. My whole career has involved being close to high speed machinery, and not just woodworking machinery.

Charley

Van Huskey
09-27-2018, 4:29 PM
One of my greatest passions is mechanical watches so I wear a watch 24/7/365, the only exception is the ~5 minutes I spend every day switching watches and when I shower if I am wearing a low water resistance dress watch that day.

Watches are an anachronism and mechanical ones even more so but I feel naked without one. I have never had an issue or a close call woodworking and the only activity I did not wear one doing was rock and ice climbing but did wear them alpine climbing.

Van Huskey
09-27-2018, 4:35 PM
Cell Phones are better time keepers than a watch,

Charley

While more of a Watchuseek forum post and extremely semantic cell phones aren't better timekeepers than most quartz watches and not nearly as good as an average HAQ movement, the timekeeping devices they sync to, however, are among the best humans can build.

John McClanahan
09-27-2018, 4:37 PM
I have worn a watch since my father gave me one when I was learning to tell time in the first grade. I never get my phone out to check the time.

glenn bradley
09-27-2018, 5:20 PM
No watch and my wedding ring goes on a cord around my neck tucked into my shirt collar. I used to just take it off and hang it on a hook but, kept forgetting it in the shop. Anyone who has had a sleeve, glove, ring, watchband, fight-cancer bracelet, whatever grabbed my a power tool learns pretty quick. Unfortunately this can be a lot like tablesaw kickback; until it happens to you, you just don't get it.

Tom M King
09-27-2018, 5:23 PM
I didn't know that anyone but nurses, and sailboat racers wore watches any more.

Adam Herman
09-27-2018, 5:38 PM
maratac pilot watch most of the time, i need to fix my echodrive so i can wear that again. I only have automatic or solar and wear a watch all the time. i needed one while i was working off shore due to no electronics allowed on the rig floor, and i need to keep track of time accurately. I got my wife a LACO and she wont take it off also.

Mel Fulks
09-27-2018, 5:47 PM
I didn't know that anyone but nurses, and sailboat racers wore watches any more.
Tom, Knowing how authentic your work is ,I'm guessing you stop for lunch by looking at a "noon mark". I'm a big fan of
them and in the process of writing about a couple old ones in this city. But I would accept any old watches you don't want
anymore.

Zachary Hoyt
09-27-2018, 5:53 PM
I have an old school Casio digital watch. I removed the band and I keep the watch in the change pocket of my jeans. In the summer when I wear shorts without pockets I do without a watch. I am often wearing radio eamuffs and can keep track of the time that way to some degree. I don't like the feel of a watchband on my arm and I also have heard they can be dangerous so I haven't tried to overcome that dislike.
Zach

Doug Garson
09-27-2018, 6:03 PM
I normally wear a watch in the shop however at the moment all my watches either have dead batteries or a broken strap. For safety reasons I never wear rings when playing sports or working with machinery.

Bruce Page
09-27-2018, 6:14 PM
No, but I did wear one for many years working as a machinist. Now retired, the only time I wear one is when I leave the house.

Wade Lippman
09-27-2018, 6:37 PM
What are these watches ​you are talking about? No, I don't own one.
Not a safety issue... there are clocks everywhere.

Frederick Skelly
09-27-2018, 6:38 PM
No. I have a large clock on the wall.

Tony Joyce
09-27-2018, 6:48 PM
Yes, I wear a watch 24/7 and have for about the last 50 years. No rings in the shop.

Tom M King
09-27-2018, 7:19 PM
Tom, Knowing how authentic your work is ,I'm guessing you stop for lunch by looking at a "noon mark". I'm a big fan of
them and in the process of writing about a couple old ones in this city. But I would accept any old watches you don't want
anymore.

I have a very accurate stomach that tells me when it's time to go for lunch, which is also early enough to beat the rush. The only watches I have are for timing sailboat racing starts. If I really need to know, even though I don't answer it when I'm working, there is a cellphone in my pocket.

One early 19th Century house I worked on had a curious change in direction, of a few degrees, halfway up the stone basement walls. I never had an idea why until we were walking by it on a clear night. They had changed the orientation so it perfectly faced the North Star.

Justin Ludwig
09-27-2018, 7:35 PM
I feel stark naked without a watch. $30 Timex Ironman. I’m on my 3rd one. 1st one got destroyed at Officer Training in Alabama. Had my wife send a $10 watch from Wally World and it lasted 10 hours, no joke. 2nd Ironman got destroyed carrying a cabinet through a 2-8 doorway (in front of the homeowner), she quipped, “I guess you’re off the clock?” Good thing I bid all my work! My current watch is holding strong, but the strap-holder-thingy broke last week. Being the cheapo that I am, instead of dropping $30 on a new I just wrapped a rubber band around it. It was my wife’s idea, she’s a genius.

Mel Fulks
09-27-2018, 7:44 PM
Interesting,sounds like the house was a noon mark. And,of course ,they wanted to make the most of the light. I remember
a lecture about Monticello . The speaker corulated Jefferson's daily schedule to what room he was in at different times of the day and said he was following the sunlight.

Derek Cohen
09-27-2018, 7:51 PM
Interesting question and answers!

Time keeping and time management are some of the areas in which I work professionally (I'm a shrink in my day job), and I did a little double take at the title of this thread. :)

Firstly, analogue time is so different from digital time. Analogue enables one to keep track of time. Of course you have to be able to visualise time frames to do so. Digital time is better for telling the time for those inexperienced in analogue time, but it comes a poor second in training one to monitor time. I often speculate how the move away from wearing watches to carrying pocket watches (mobile/cell phones), which are digital, has impacted on the youth of today?

The other bit I notice is that the presenters in videos using hand tools tend to wear analogue watches. Does does that suggest that there is a differnce in the organisational skills of hand- vs machine users?

Lastly, yes, I do wear a watch, and it is analogue (of course). :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Carl Beckett
09-27-2018, 7:51 PM
No rings. No jewelry. No watches. Long sleeve cuffs either rolled up or buttoned down. Long hair tied back. Loose shirts tucked into the pants.

Just habit from being raised on a farm and working as a machinist/lab tech for a while.

The only injury I saw due to a watch was a friend of mine. We were working on a tractor that had a batter mounted on the side. His watch band (metal) touched from the positive terminal to the ground. It turned dull red by the time he got it flicked off. Still has a scar from that burn. (one I would have never guessed could happen)

Rod Sheridan
09-27-2018, 7:55 PM
Since Rich Riddle gave me a Mickey Mouse watch, I wear it every day except when using machinery or making electrical measurements......Rod.

Randall J Cox
09-27-2018, 7:57 PM
Yes i wear a watch, old mechanical type, analog of course. Also normally have my cell phone with me to turn on/off my hearing aids when running equipment. Also have an analog clock on the wall. And yes I wear a ring when in the shop. Never come close to having an issue in over 30 years....so far. ha

Martin Wasner
09-27-2018, 8:14 PM
I wear a smart watch connected to my phone. I don't like carrying my phone since I've already got a couple of pencils, a sharpie, Benchmade Infidel, Leatherman Wave, Stanley 25' tape in a holster, Sony mp3 player, and a Garmin Alpha dog training remote on me all flipping day long.

Plus, I've lost numerous phones to impact when in my pocket. They're safer in the office or in my bench. Spending $800 on a new phone on the regular isn't my idea of fun.

The nice thing with a smart watch is I know when the phone rings, and I can read an email or text message. If it's important, go find my phone, or finish up what I'm doing and then respond.

I have no clue how the building trades functioned before mobile phones.

Mel Fulks
09-27-2018, 8:15 PM
We forget how expensive time pieces used to be. To see some really funny stuff Google the " knocker uppers", they were people who would awaken you by pea shooters or long sticks aimed at your window. For a small fee!

Martin Wasner
09-27-2018, 8:27 PM
We forget how expensive time pieces used to be.

I like watches. If I had the money for something so frivolous, I would collect them. Stupid, but I like fancy watches.

I priced out as Omega a number of years ago. Nothing crazy flashy, and I was willing to spend maybe $5k if I was never going to have to do it again. The stupid thing was $15k. NOPE. I'm well outside of their demographic.

Bruce Wrenn
09-27-2018, 8:43 PM
I wear a watch from sun up till bed time. I'm so old fashioned that I still use a flip phone. In my shop, 1 have HF 10" wall clock (battery operated,) that is deadly accurate. Battery lasts a couple years. My wrist watch is a $7.88 special from Walmart. They last for years, unless you submerse them in water. If it got damaged, what am I out?

Jacob Mac
09-27-2018, 8:56 PM
I would love a really nice watch. But when I get the money saved, I always end up with a tool or more walnut.

Van Huskey
09-27-2018, 8:58 PM
I priced out as Omega a number of years ago. Nothing crazy flashy, and I was willing to spend maybe $5k if I was never going to have to do it again. The stupid thing was $15k. NOPE. I'm well outside of their demographic.

I assume it was a precious metal Omega. Even now with Omega pulling their prices up in line with Rolex I can't think of a 15k stainless Omega.

The fact everyone has quit wearing watches just means more for me!

Steve Hubbard
09-27-2018, 9:12 PM
No watch in the shop. Like Frederick, a large battery clock on the shop wall.
Metal wedding band when not in the shop, silicone wedding band in the shop.

Mel Fulks
09-27-2018, 9:29 PM
I don't see them as an anachronism ,but they have been changed without practical reasons a lot. Smaller,bigger,thinner
thicker, retro, futuristic, self winding, electric, casual ,formal. I Remember the astounding Acutrons! Accurate to within a
minute a month. And I will never forget a watch just as accurate, that had an animated and talking clown face. That one was free and tossed on to a 7-eleven counter as I paid for "8 gallons or more" gasoline.

Paul Follett
09-27-2018, 9:35 PM
Yes, most of the time I wear a watch during my shop time.

Andrew Seemann
09-27-2018, 9:54 PM
No watches or other jewelry in the shop. The clock on the wall tells time just fine.

I stopped wearing a ring years ago for safety also. I never remembered to take it off and nearly lost it several times when I did. Ultimately, I hooked it swinging a mattock and nearly took off my ring finger. The wife wasn't happy when I stopped wearing it, but when I showed her a what appeared to be a morgue picture from the interweb of a severed finger, a mangled ring, and a dead looking hand missing a finger, she basically forbade me from wearing a ring after that.

Recently, I have even gone from wearing my beloved flannels in the shop to wearing sweatshirts (no hoods) with their tight fitting sleeves. I don't always remember to button up the sleeves on flannels and I'm afraid of catching one in a machine.

Patrick McCarthy
09-27-2018, 10:04 PM
Well, I will never be able to compete with Van, but "yes" I wear a mechanical watch daily.

Completely agree with Derek re analog time being entirely a different concept. I look at my watch more than my cell phone for time, and "relate" to the watch time whereas the cell phone time is just a data point - if that makes sense.

Tim Janssen
09-27-2018, 10:24 PM
I stopped wearing a watch when I retired 18 years ago.
Cheers,

Tim

johnny means
09-27-2018, 10:25 PM

Time keeping and time management are some of the areas in which I work professionally (I'm a shrink in my day job), and I did a little double take at the title of this thread. :)

Firstly, analogue time is so different from digital time. Analogue enables one to keep track of time. Of course you have to be able to visualise time frames to do so. Digital time is better for telling the time for those inexperienced in analogue time, but it comes a poor second in training one to monitor time. I often speculate how the move away from wearing watches to carrying pocket watches (mobile/cell phones), which are digital, has impacted on the youth of today?

The other bit I notice is that the presenters in videos using hand tools tend to wear analogue watches. Does does that suggest that there is a differnce in the organisational skills of hand- vs machine users?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Explain this difference. Isn't it all pretend numbers and man-made units?

Wayne Cannon
09-28-2018, 1:39 AM
Got my watch band across 12 V while working on my car and raised a blister all around my wrist. I stopped wearing a metal watch band after that.

While in the Air Force, the woodshop for us at every base had a photo of a finger detached at the wedding ring at the table saws. That visual convinced me to remove my ring and watch (with nylon watch band) when working in the shop.

Derek Cohen
09-28-2018, 1:51 AM
https://sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Derek Cohen https://sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2852619#post2852619)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Explain this difference. Isn't it all pretend numbers and man-made units?

Johnny, Patrick described it well ...

Completely agree with Derek re analog time being entirely a different concept. I look at my watch more than my cell phone for time, and "relate" to the watch time whereas the cell phone time is just a data point - if that makes sense.

Here's an example ... what does thirty minutes look like? Thirty minutes has a shape. Does it look like the number "30", or do you visualise a half shaded circle on the clock face?

The 30 is just a data point, and this can make it difficult for some (such as those with ADHD) to plan ahead, or to monitor a period of time. This process becomes second nature to those used to visualising time frames. Analogue time pieces teaches us that time is a journey between points rather than just a moment in one place.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek Cohen
09-28-2018, 2:01 AM
I assume it was a precious metal Omega. Even now with Omega pulling their prices up in line with Rolex I can't think of a 15k stainless Omega.

My God, Van! You really are a fan of military watches. Totally out of our leagues. :)

I have one Rolex Submariner (unlike you), although the watch I wear most days is a Tudor Submariner I purchased in 1984 (spent much time surfing and windsurfing in my younger days). My son says that he will one day buy me the watch I covet, which is a vintage Omega Speedmaster with Lemania movement. My money seems to instead go on woodworking tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Cutler
09-28-2018, 2:08 AM
Never worn a watch. Never needed one. Spent over half my life racing against one though.
I used to obsess about my split and interval times in races for a few decades, until I realized that it was simple. You were either in front of me, or not. I didn't race or train with a computer for the last 5 years of my racing career.

Derek
I understand where you're coming from. It's hard to explain how to compress time in a race, to a person, that has no concept of time to begin with. An analog watch is visual, you can see the rate at which time changes.

Derek Cohen
09-28-2018, 6:16 AM
What type of racing were (are) you doing, Mike?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Martin Wasner
09-28-2018, 6:41 AM

I'm wondering if I was looking at a special edition or something. Like I said, it was pretty plain. The case was stainless, the bezel and face were a burnt orange color that matched the leather strap. I didn't dig through their site too far, but I didn't see anything like it.

Looks like most of their watches are in that $5k range.

Mike Cutler
09-28-2018, 7:51 AM
What type of racing were (are) you doing, Mike?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Started out as an 800m runner in high school and Jr.college.Tried the mile a few times, but couldn't keep track of which lap I was on. Switched to racing bicycles in my mid 20's, specializing as a time trialist and leadout man, and raced for 25+ years. Did a few triathlons along the way for fun. My life was run by the second hand from about 13 years old to my mid 40's. It's bad when you know how many milliseconds each heartbeat is, and time it to your pedal stroke.:eek:
I was also on a submarine for 4 years and 10 months, but whose counting, and we were timed, and recorded, practicing to launch SLBM's.
I drive my wife nuts sometimes by telling her long we've been waiting, or standing in a line, to the minute.

BTW
There is still something very elegant about a mechanical movement, analog watch, that a digital will just never achieve.

roger wiegand
09-28-2018, 8:28 AM
Nope, hate having anything on my wrist. I haven't been able to get my wedding ring off for the last 30 years, so it stays put. Not about to take a hacksaw to it.

Can't believe all the old pictures with guys running lathes with neckties on.

Brian Holcombe
09-28-2018, 8:55 AM
I like watches. If I had the money for something so frivolous, I would collect them. Stupid, but I like fancy watches.

I’d rather buy used with low mileage, and get a good deal. One of my friends bought a seamaster recently and I think it was pretty reasonable and to me looked brand new.

Mike Kees
09-28-2018, 9:45 AM
No I do not wear a watch. I never wear a watch.

Ben Rivel
09-28-2018, 10:12 AM
Nope. Never saw a need for one. Theres a fancy wall clock that I can see anywhere in the shop, but mostly I try to ignore it because it just makes me feel rushed. I like to be relaxed when Im working on something.

Prashun Patel
09-28-2018, 10:30 AM
Yes unless I am turning. Too much dust on the wrist. I have more concerns though using my phone in the shop. The charge port gathered so much dust over time that it wouldn't charge.

Jack Frederick
09-28-2018, 10:38 AM
Wore a watch for 50 or so years and then weaned myself of it with the iPhone. That worked out fine but the kids gave me an iWatch for Xmas and I wear it. I try to remember to take it off in the shop, but when it is on it tens to stay on. I just retired in April and the watch would have been a great tool when I was working but now is kinda overkill. My wife is always checking the heart rate, exercise, crap on it. That in itself is reason to not wear it.

Mitchell Ristine
09-28-2018, 10:45 AM
While more of a Watchuseek forum post and extremely semantic cell phones aren't better timekeepers than most quartz watches and not nearly as good as an average HAQ movement, the timekeeping devices they sync to, however, are among the best humans can build.

I always wondered if there were other WIS roaming around here. Here's my "shop watch":

Malcolm Schweizer
09-28-2018, 11:11 AM

That's funny, because my wife is a nurse and we both race sailboats. I actually prefer a countdown timer mounted on the boat so all the crew can watch it when charging the mark rather than everyone synchronizing watches and having to look at their watch. The tactician works the timer and calls out times to mark. I am a watch fanatic, but I now only wear them when offshore sailing where I might need to resort to dead reckoning in the event of navigation system failure.

That said, I want to ask about those saying they don't wear a ring in the shop. How is a ring a hazard? Seems if the ring catches on something, your finger was already going to catch on it. What am I missing? I take my ring off usually to protect the ring, like if I'm working on metal parts, but didn't really think of it as a safety hazard.

To the person who wears their ring around their neck on a lanyard- now THAT would be dangerous!!! If you lean over your saw or jointer, and it slips out and catches- yikes!!!!

Kerry Wright
09-28-2018, 11:41 AM
I won't own a cell phone, they are a waste of money and a drain on most everyone's brain. Even if I did I certainly wouldn't use it for telling time.

My watch usually comes off when I walk in the door (of the house). But if I happen to have it on when I'm in the shop I don't make it a point to take it off. Rings are a whole different story. Working in electronics all my life I hardly where them, but if I happen to have one on when I walk in the shop (or work), it's an automatic action to take it off and put it in my pocket.
My shop clock is a 100th anniversary Lionel Train clock. Every hour the train choo choos around the diameter of clock. Makes it easy to keep "track" of time. :D

Wade Lippman
09-28-2018, 11:43 AM
Digital time is better for telling the time for those inexperienced in analogue time,

Is anyone inexperienced in analog time? Most clocks are still analog; don't kids know how to read them?

Almost went to Australia last year when our dog died, but then found out it was a 32 hour trip.:(

Bryan Lisowski
09-28-2018, 11:44 AM
I stopped wearing a watch about 10 years ago.

Ryan Liegel
09-28-2018, 11:46 AM
Yes. Wear one while woodworking, sleeping, showering, swimming. It probably comes off my arm about twice a year. (Citizen Eco Drive)

Lyle Moore
09-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Yes, i wear a watch while operating power tools. It's an analogue watch as well. No long sleeves, though.

Jay Larson
09-28-2018, 1:49 PM
I only wore a watch for a short time in grade school. I got one for Christmas from my dad, and put it on my wrist. Then I tried to wind it. Being on my right wrist, trying to get the winding knob was a job for a contortionist. Too much work. Being left handed, it always bothered me to have it on the left wrist. So I have never gotten used to having one.

Now I use my phone or computer to keep time.

One thing about digital versus analog time - everyone used to say 'quarter to' or 'half past' the hour. Now it is always '3:22'.

Dave Cav
09-28-2018, 2:13 PM
Nice collection, Van.

I still wear a watch, but my wedding ring has been in the jewelry box almost since we were married 30+ years ago. When I was teaching I would generally take my watch off whenever I was in the metal shop or welding lab, but not in the wood shop where rotating hazards aren't as great (with respect to a watch band) as in a metal shop (think engine lathe chuck or milling cutter).

Most of my watches are inexpensive plastic Timex or Casios, a combination of analog and digital, all with NATO straps. I also have a Citizen Eco Drive but it's too nice to wear around the shop. I still wear my 32 year old Sub occasionally, but not around the shop.

I was amazed at the number of my students that couldn't tell time with an analog clock.

Rich Riddle
09-28-2018, 2:41 PM
Yes, I wear a watch. No, Van Huskey can't have the Grand Seiko. He might be the only one here who even wants one.

Michael Costa
09-28-2018, 3:00 PM
I don't wear watches. Never have. I'd like to because some are very nice. But I could never get used to them moving around on my wrist or catching arms hairs.

Bernie May
09-28-2018, 6:08 PM
Apple Watch on my wrist except while sleeping. Being charged at night. Wedding rings came off soon after both weddings for reasons mentioned by others.

John Sincerbeaux
09-28-2018, 6:25 PM

I am required by law (FAA) to wear a watch when I am at work.

Derek Cohen
09-28-2018, 8:49 PM

I was amazed at the number of my students that couldn't tell time with an analog clock.

I have given many lectures and public talks on childhood disorders over some decades. 25 years ago I had a standard joke when talking about ADHD (then it was termed ADD). This was a joke, but it had a serious tone .. "I can diagnose your ADHD child in 3 seconds by looking at their wrists". Everyone would get uncomfortable and some would suddenly hide their hands :) Then I would explain that ADHD children did not have any interest in time, and rarely wore a watch. When they did (remember, this was 25 years ago), it was a digital watch - they liked playing with the buttons. For them, it was a toy. Fast forward 25 years, and I cannot say this anymore, as most children have no interest in wearing a watch, especially an analogue watch (unless it is a Fitbit, which is fashionable). All instead carry around a pocket watch, that is, a cell phone. And these are digital. Few children are exposed to analogue time.

The awareness of time's passage, and the ability to monitor time (as opposed to telling the time), is a central factor in emotional regulation. Foreward warning or forward projection in time allows us to plan ahead and meet deadlines. Monitoring time creates a sense of urgency. This is akin to stress - which is why many adults do not want to wear a watch on weekends or when doing something fun in the shop. If you do not want to experience this sense of urgency (which aids in developing organisational skills), then wear a digital watch. On the other hand, if you like to keep an eye on your progress, with a view to setting and meeting deadlines in time, use an analogue watch.

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Powell
09-28-2018, 10:54 PM
Wear a watch only when I go on business trips. Have a big old Hammond Postal Telegraph synchronous clock in my shop.

Dave

Kerry Wright
09-29-2018, 12:14 AM
I have given many lectures and public talks on childhood disorders over some decades. 25 years ago I had a standard joke when talking about ADHD (then it was termed ADD). This was a joke, but it had a serious tone .. "I can diagnose your ADHD child in 3 seconds by looking at their wrists". Everyone would get uncomfortable and some would suddenly hide their hands :) Then I would explain that ADHD children did not have any interest in time, and rarely wore a watch. When they did (remember, this was 25 years ago), it was a digital watch - they liked playing with the buttons. For them, it was a toy. Fast forward 25 years, and I cannot say this anymore, as most children have no interest in wearing a watch, especially an analogue watch (unless it is a Fitbit, which is fashionable). All instead carry around a pocket watch, that is, a cell phone. And these are digital. Few children are exposed to analogue time.

The awareness of time's passage, and the ability to monitor time (as opposed to telling the time), is a central factor in emotional regulation. Foreward warning or forward projection in time allows us to plan ahead and meet deadlines. Monitoring time creates a sense of urgency. This is akin to stress - which is why many adults do not want to wear a watch on weekends or when doing something fun in the shop. If you do not want to experience this sense of urgency (which aids in developing organisational skills), then wear a digital watch. On the other hand, if you like to keep an eye on your progress, with a view to setting and meeting deadlines in time, use an analogue watch.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,
Spot on!!!

Tom M King
09-29-2018, 8:24 AM
I remember hearing about things called "deadlines".

Cary Falk
09-29-2018, 8:30 AM
I wear a watch in the shop if I have it on. I don't take it or my wedding ring off if I am working. There is a clock in my garage/shop. I always keep track of time in some way(clock, watch, phone). I have a lot going on and need to keep track of time. I judge my success on how much I get done in a given amount of time. All of my watches are analog. I guess I just prefer the look over the digital ones.

Martin Wasner
09-29-2018, 8:48 AM

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, that is very interesting.

Frederick Skelly
09-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Derek, that is very interesting.

+1. Thanks Derek.

Nick Decker
09-29-2018, 11:01 AM
Agreed, Derek, excellent perspective.

I wear a watch, except when sleeping or showering. Growing up, punctuality was stressed, probably to a fault. Other than that, there are just so many times that timing something comes up. Then too, I like watches.

Like many males, I think, I tend to be goal oriented - Get-er-done Syndrome. With woodworking, I'm constantly reminding myself to slow down. Sometimes it works.

William Adams
09-29-2018, 12:25 PM
Yes, like many folks here, it's on my wrist from when I dress to leave, until I sleep, and only comes off for sleeping or showering --- when working on machine tools I always wear long sleeves w/ buttoned cuffs.

Joe Spear
09-29-2018, 6:36 PM
I've worn Casios for over thirty years. Sometimes I wear my watch when I'm doing woodworking and sometimes I don't. I can't see it as a safety hazard. It's easier for me to tell time with a watch than a phone. With a watch, I lift my wrist. With my phone, I have to take it out of the protective case (the case is a real necessity for me since I have dropped phones and broken them) and push the button to light it up. The watch is much easier to use, since I'm not constantly looking at my phone, as I see many people doing unnecessarily.

Pete Staehling
09-29-2018, 6:52 PM
I wear a watch and always have. I do not take it off to work in the shop. It is typically one with a plastic or leather band and a non metal bezel. I got in the habit of non metallic when I made my living as an electrician.

I stopped wearing rings early in my career after others in my family had serious injuries because of wedding rings.

Ole Anderson
09-29-2018, 7:50 PM
Yes. Currently my everyday watch is a Swiss Army with a ss band. My “good” watch is a Citizen “eco drive” both under $200. I have a drawer of old cheap watches dating back 40 years. Always wear one except when in bed or showering, even in the hot tub. Don’t wear rings at all. My son is an iron worker and wears a rubber wedding ring substitute.

John Stankus
09-29-2018, 8:11 PM

I thought I had replied to this, but must have forgotten to send.

Teachers are another group that still wear watches (at least I do). Easier to glance at the wrist than hope they replaced the batteries in the clock in whatever classroom I am in.

Seiko Railroad Approved is my go to. Wore one out and am on my second. The first I wore down the top of the stem enough that it detached from the shaft (bought it late 80s and had the failure a few years ago). While I had that one off for repairs, bought the solar version of that watch and haven't looked back. I like it since has big clear numbers on it (No roman numerals, no just tick marks and no blank faces (ugh how can you be precise with no markings?)). Only improvement I would make is ditching the day/date which blocks out the number 3 (and half the time I forget to reset at the end of the month)

It has been interesting for the last twelve years of teaching college chemistry I have noticed the decline of watches with the rise of cell phones. Over the last couple of years though the trend is reversing with the advent of the Smartwatch. I'm a little intrigued but still have to think about what time 3:55 is versus five til four. Smart watches do pose another problem in the classroom about cheating on exams (alas the academic integrity arms race continues )

John

Gary Cunningham
09-29-2018, 8:54 PM
I haven’t worn a watch in years. My mother in law would buy me a $20.00 Timex for a birthday. When it croaked I would get another when bday or Christmas came around.

I have a Wenger ‘Swiss Army’ watch, but batteries only last a short time, so it hangs on a hook.

Andrew Seemann
09-30-2018, 1:10 PM
That said, I want to ask about those saying they don't wear a ring in the shop. How is a ring a hazard? Seems if the ring catches on something, your finger was already going to catch on it. What am I missing? I take my ring off usually to protect the ring, like if I'm working on metal parts, but didn't really think of it as a safety hazard.

I tended to keep catching mine on things, like when carrying lumber or climbing ladders. Outside and construction stuff was the worst. Close calls with a splitting maul and finally a mattock were the ultimate end of me wearing a ring. It might have been worse for me in that I have fairly big knuckles compared to my finger bones, and my ring sat pretty loose on my finger.

Warren Lake
09-30-2018, 1:49 PM
had a Seiko dress watch for over 40 years and it worked in the shop for over 35 years. It had a hard life I broke five glasses and wore out over 10 cheap leather straps never replacing the same original quality strap as it didnt matter. I was nice and light and small and fine so it didnt stick out to catch on things. Last time it went in for repair a non Seiko dealer said it had so many miles on it he was worried things were just too worn inside. Sent Seiko a photo and they said they had to see it inside to pass a judgement. Should have told me they would give me a free one as it was a testament to their quality. Friend bought me the exact same dress model and its never been and will never go in the shop. It doesnt take me long to put a patina on stuff. For now wearing the old guys timex or it might have been his sons that passed at 32. Ever see the Get Smart episode on Schwartz Island with the big eletcro magnet where Seigfried sucks the guys watch off his arm that is out in the ocean on a boat? "The watch took a licking but it kept on ticking" This one ended up in the laundry by accident. It drowned then a few days in the sun its been keeping perfect time.

The watch was on my arm to keep exact times on different steps recorded so in the end i knew where all the time went. Not as detailed as Martin where he knows the price of each part, time and and but in the end I knew if 115 hours went into that piece where all the time was in including hand picking material right up to blanket wrap and delivery. I used to ask other shops how much time into that or how much per hour and was surprised how many didnt have a clue. Those were smaller one man shops and they should have known.

Seiko if you are reading this PM me and ill give you my address :)

Mel Fulks
09-30-2018, 1:57 PM
Warren, the Seiko is good ...and unlike the Timex you don't have to periodicly strap them to a boat propellor to keep 'em clean and ticking.

Warren Lake
09-30-2018, 2:05 PM
the old one was better than the new one as it had a second hand. So timing lacquers with Reducers and endless other stuff that came in handy. Now I have to do that thousand one, thousand two, thousand three then the phone rings and I get confused. crazy as it is one day ill still show up at Seiko and get an autopsy and see if they can bring it back to life. Make a sad face and say look at all the advertising I do for you wearing this go easy on me. Figure they were able to bring the monster to life in Young Frankenstein so this should be easy.

Doug Garson
09-30-2018, 2:52 PM
That's funny, because my wife is a nurse and we both race sailboats. I actually prefer a countdown timer mounted on the boat so all the crew can watch it when charging the mark rather than everyone synchronizing watches and having to look at their watch. The tactician works the timer and calls out times to mark. I am a watch fanatic, but I now only wear them when offshore sailing where I might need to resort to dead reckoning in the event of navigation system failure.

To the person who wears their ring around their neck on a lanyard- now THAT would be dangerous!!! If you lean over your saw or jointer, and it slips out and catches- yikes!!!!

Ever try to remove a ring after you sprain a finger? That's why I never wear a ring playing sports or working in the shop. Leave it in the house or in your pocket, agree the lanyard thing could also be dangerous.

Warren Lake
09-30-2018, 3:00 PM
no rings never wear them or have a need or wouldnt, you get into a cutter and you are pulled in.

Tom M King
09-30-2018, 6:13 PM

Maybe on big boats. Never seen anyone racing a Laser, Int. 14 (or any kind of high performance dinghy), Catamaran, or sailboard without a watch on wrist. I'll race anything that sails, whether it floats, or not. Even if I'm racing a big boat, I still want the watch on my wrist. My BIL, that has only ever raced big boats, uses a digital timer built into the boat's electronics.

Martin Wasner
09-30-2018, 6:26 PM
Maybe on big boats. Never seen anyone racing a Laser, Int. 14 (or any kind of high performance dinghy), Catamaran, or sailboard without a watch on wrist. I'll race anything that sails, whether it floats, or not. Even if I'm racing a big boat, I still want the watch on my wrist. My BIL, that has only ever raced big boats, uses a digital timer built into the boat's electronics.

Racing a Formula 16 catamaran, I had my start timer strapped to the boom. Both skipper and crew can see it without having to look down as far. On a crowded start line, it's best to keep your hands at work and your eyes on what's going on. Towards the end of the start sequence, you're listening to tones instead of looking at it anyways. Most of us were using the same Ronstan watch, so it was kinda humorous hearing everyone's watches making the same sounds just a tiny bit off from one another.

Tom M King
09-30-2018, 8:53 PM
That's one reason I like to have mine close to my ear. The last catamaran I raced was a Hobie 21, back in the 80's, on the Prosail circuit. I still have the boat, but we haven't been out on that one in years.

Jim Becker
09-30-2018, 9:00 PM
I mentioned this earlier in this thread about what I do about a watch (in addition to my phone which is always in a belt holster on my person when I'm not sleeping)....

J.R. Rutter
09-30-2018, 10:54 PM
I got an apple watch for my 50th birthday this year and love it for the shop. I'm in gloves with ear plug hearing protectors for a good part of the day, so it is great to be able to see at a glance who is calling me, as my cell phone has become the most common way for customers (and everyone else) to get ahold of me.

johnny means
10-01-2018, 12:26 AM
https://sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Derek Cohen https://sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2852619#post2852619)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Here's an example ... what does thirty minutes look like? Thirty minutes has a shape. Does it look like the number "30", or do you visualise a half shaded circle on the clock face?

The 30 is just a data point, and this can make it difficult for some (such as those with ADHD) to plan ahead, or to monitor a period of time. This process becomes second nature to those used to visualising time frames. Analogue time pieces teaches us that time is a journey between points rather than just a moment in one place.

Regards from Perth

Derek

But doesn't that visual at some point just become attached to the number? Like way 100 yards is a football field.

Matt Mattingley
10-01-2018, 1:00 AM
I don’t allow for any...
watch’s, bracelets, jewellery, loose necklaces, dangly earrings, finger rings, Long hair not pulled back, Green patch safety shoes and certified safety glasses and pants (no shorts) no long sleeves and no drawstrings. The new thing is absolutely no earbuds (weather wire for wire less)

Maybe I’m being a hard ass, But if you’re paying to take part of my class, You play by The rules or just leave. My interest is in the safety and training. You can walk A horse to water, but you can’t force it to drink.

Just last week kid told me this is a green ring. I told him to take it off or get out. He already signed jewellery clause. He took it off in about two seconds. I deal with the youth that feel like they have entitlement.

Van Huskey
10-01-2018, 1:28 AM
But doesn't that visual at some point just become attached to the number? Like way 100 yards is a football field.

I can't speak for anyone but me but when I look at an analog watch that displays 11:49 AM I do not "translate" that in my head to 11:49 unless I am communicating it to someone or memorializing it by writing or typing it. To me, my brain sees it as a chunk of time prior to the middle of the day. I don't think of that chunk of the watch dial as eleven minutes but as an amount of time that I have a rough understanding of completely separate from minutes and seconds.

My brain works the same way with measurements like your football field. I would not translate the distance to feet, yards or football fields unless I needed to communicate or memorialize the distance. The times I am most interested in measurements of that distance is on the (ball) golf or disc golf field. Looking at 100 yards I am thinking a strong pitching wedge (ball) or full control driver (disc) not in feet or yards.

With time and distance, the "native" language of my brain is not minutes or feet those are just constructs that allow me to translate time and distance to a common language in order to effectively communicate. In the end, many of the constructs are still pretty poor. A person that has never seen a feeler gauge or light peeking out between 2 pieces of metal are unlikely to be able to visualize .005" even though they know what feet and inches are. That is one reason people use a football field instead of 300 feet when describing something the same way with a piece of paper in regards to thickness, or a human hair.

Matt Mattingley
10-01-2018, 2:05 AM
Van, I don’t want to quote you when your whole post so... I actually get my students to measure that piece of paper. I consider it a standard protocol. Use a micrometer, vernier, then I get them to use depth mic’s , Gauge blocks, Gauge pins.
No what is exceptable tolerance for a pre-ream hole, Proper counterbores or counter sink sizes or how to layout a bolt pattern. Our training generation does not know how to lay out a bolt pattern using a spring gage/compass. They don’t even know what SOHCAHTOA stands for.

I have tested a few mature adults and they come in stellar....What is happening with our junior adults?

Derek Cohen
10-01-2018, 9:51 AM

Not quite. Analogue offers a time frame, which may end at a specific point, but also has a starting point. As time progresses, the time frame remains fixed, and time is a moving position within it. Digital time only offers an isolated point, that is, the numbers one sees, and this does not create an awareness of a position, unless it is converted to an analogue time frame. Keeping track of time on an analogue simply requires a glance to determine the position of the hand. Keeping track of time on digital requires a calculation, mental arithmetic.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jon Shank
10-01-2018, 8:55 PM
Any time I leave the house I will have a watch on my left wrist, a ring on that left ring-finger and a pocket knife in my pocket. Usually a leatherman(left front) and a pocket knife(right front), definitely a creature of habit. In the shop, no. No major reason, I don't use many power tools anyway, but I guess that's where the habit of taking it off came from.

And an interesting side topic that I have been really enjoying reading, always an analog watch. The only digital watch I ever owned was one I got as a gift when I was a kid, didn't like it and went back to wearing the old analog within a couple days. There is something just more human, more cyclic than scheduled about an analog watch. It only takes an instant to glance at the face and have my brain translate what I see to the time, but it's an instant in context to the rest of the day I guess. I've had fancier, mechanical and automatics and such but my current watch for the last couple years is just a nice solid battery powered Seiko. Nothing fancy, simple dial, face size that doesn't make my wrist look like an infants, so not the huge diver/astronaut/pilot/linebacker/submariner/jolly green giant size that seems like it's been popular for years. Just a nice round face with normal numbers, not roman numerals, and the day of week and day of month, cause frankly things just run together sometimes. And yes, I feel naked if I'm not wearing it when I'm out and about.

I set reminders and alarms on my phone, keep a calendar synced up with all kinds of different stuff, absolutely fantastic utility that I don't know how I would get by without nowadays. But when I want the time I look at my wrist. Unless I'm in the shop then I look at the old boom box on the mantel, heh. Really gotta get or make an analog clock for the shop. Old table saw blade with a movement in it or something similarly goofy/woodworky.

John Sincerbeaux
10-02-2018, 1:03 PM
I always wear a watch and my wedding ring when woodworking with one EXCEPTION. I dont follow many hard and fast rules when I woodwork. Rather I rely on situational awareness...that little voice in your head that starts sounding an alarm BEFORE you hurt yourself. The only situation I hear that alarm is at my lathe when I turn large hollow form vessels. The initial rounding of a 150# log is the scariest thing I do in all of woodworking. If your finger(s) slip off the toolrest in between it and the facets of the log your finger(s) will be torn off. Its the only time i take off my ring.

Zach Dillinger
10-11-2018, 2:19 PM
I wear an actual, according to Hoyle, watch every second of every day. Even while sleeping. So, yes, I wear one while woodworking. I have a collection of more than 30 pieces so it varies day to day which I wear for that duty but there are a few that I won't wear in the shop including my higher end stuff.

Ted Phillips
10-11-2018, 4:05 PM
I wear my exercise tracker all the time on my wrist - including in the shop. When I do final sanding on a project, it usually thinks I've run a full marathon. :cool:

Jerry Wright
10-14-2018, 5:49 PM
I was always taught never to hire a man that smokes a pipe or has a beard. They are too contented! I would add not wearing a watch to that statement. Of course, I wear an analog watch.:)

Doug Landphair
10-14-2018, 6:10 PM
Sure, I wear a watch - unless I know it's going to get in the way or roughed up while I'm handling lumber. I do not under any circumstances wear rings, necklaces, bracelets or other loose fitting items. Too easy to get caught in dangerous places.

Martin Wasner
10-14-2018, 6:18 PM
What's it mean when your watch is analog, but it's a LCD screen?

Thomas L Carpenter
10-15-2018, 8:39 AM
Yes, I wear a watch in the shop. I don't wear a wedding band for the weak reason that I nearly lost that finger nearly 35 years ago due to the band. Time to me is like a number line. As a retired analytical chemist I guess I'm anal enough to always (or nearly always) want to know where I am and what time it is. The where I am part is the reason i bought a car with a nav system.

Greg Hines, MD
10-15-2018, 10:06 AM
I have no TV in my garage workshop, so nothing. That said, I will sometimes listen to an Audible.com book, usually something from Stephen King.

Doc

David Helm
10-15-2018, 2:16 PM
I am astounded at how long this thread is and also surprised that I chose to add my two cents. My (analog) watch, like my glasses, goes on my wrist when I get up and leaves my wrist when I go to bed (the glasses of course go on my head not my wrist). Can't abide digital watches. Don't take my phone to the shop. If someone wants to talk to me they can leave a message. Wedding ring never comes off. I like the way Derek thinks re time. Still think the best safety practice is an engaged brain.

lowell holmes
10-15-2018, 5:01 PM
I don't wear a watch, but I have a battery powered watch hanging on the wall of my shop. I have watches, just don't wear them.
SWMBO tells me when and how I need to do things. :)

Vincent Tai
10-18-2018, 4:35 PM
You would be surprised. I faintly remember there being analogue clocks as a subject in HS math for kids who struggled enormously with math. I was one of a handful of kids who actually wore a watch daily (and as far as I remember one of the very few to wear analogue), I have done so since I was 9; unfortunately I've gone a bit haywire this year and after the battery died on my last ticking one I still haven't gone to the guy to get them all replaced. I still slap a watch on out of habit when I wake up every now and then. Flicking my wrist up to get the sleeve of the watch and the watch raised to view is a habit that hasn't died at all during the last few months of no watches.

But for the majority of people the lack of being able to read analogue has gotten ridiculous. I worked at a local small ski hill and there was a big digital clock mounted at the base lodge so you could see the time from the top of the hill or turn around when sitting on the lift. This was important because a lot of people either lived or parked in the community on the hill top and would need to know when last chair was so they weren't stranded and forced to walk ages up the hill because of missing last chair. The digital clock broke and some of my bosses wanted to put up analogue ones at lift stations etc instead of shelling out near a grand for repairs but apparently the teens and young adults can't read analogue and someone mused about liability. The digital clock didn't get fixed either so idk what management was thinking. A real eyebrow raising moment for me.

Mike Kees
10-18-2018, 5:53 PM
Hey just wondering, does anyone know what time it is ?:D

Warren Lake
10-18-2018, 10:12 PM
these guys do, intro a bit long but they get time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uy0ldI_1HA

Osvaldo Cristo
10-18-2018, 10:22 PM
No, I do not use any jewels or watch while in the workshop... additionally I never have music in the shop as I consider it a distraction and potential to cover some early warning for tool misfunction, also. No alcoholic drink at the day. Call me super conservative but I think all of them do not have place in a safe working environment, at last for me.

All the best.

Warren Lake
10-18-2018, 10:28 PM
music, TV, woodstove, more dangerous when im out in traffic

Roger Feeley
10-19-2018, 1:10 PM
Roger, I used to know a guy who had to wear a tie in the shop. He used to cut his ties at the back of the neck and then rejoin them with a single thread so they would tear away. Problem solved. I never tried it. I hate ties and dressing up in general. I'm wearing bib overalls now. Ahhhhhh

Ed Gibbons
10-20-2018, 4:53 AM
Not while woodworking. I have a wall clock in my shop.

Warren West
10-25-2018, 6:34 PM

Regards from Perth

Derek

I agree with your view of analog time keeping. I have a digital watch and can look at it and 5 minutes later not know what time it is. With analog I get an image in my mind. Of course I'm old enough to have learned to tell time with an analog clock, so maybe that has some bearing.

My digital is used to time things more than anything else if I don't want to use my phone.

Interestingly I like an analog watch in the gym for strength training. I usually rest 30, 45 or 60 seconds. Super quick to glance at the second hand and know where it will be when it's "go" time again. With a digital I have to do the math. 18 seconds , so that means 48 is 30 seconds elapsed. Analog is less fuss.

As far as wearing a watch. I fee naked without one. I'm not a fan of the indestructible "never lose your watch, but you may lose your hand or arm" straps like the NATO and such. And if I'm around spinny things or things that could easily hook something I'm mindful of the watch and any clothing that may need to be removed for safety.

And don't get me started on "Smart" watches. A watch with a battery that can't make it through more than a day or two without a charge? At least if your mechanical watch runs down, 10 seconds will wind it or a quick shake and wearing it will. That smart watch is out of commission for a good long time to charge if it runs down. Progress? I don't think so. When smart watches with a 1+ month batter life are out, i might be interested.

Warren West
10-25-2018, 6:38 PM
They don’t even know what SOHCAHTOA stands for.
?

That's funny to me. I went through calc and never heard that term until my daughter said it once whilst I was helping her.

Rick Potter
10-26-2018, 3:24 AM
I have an adult grand daughter who will never be able to read a clock dial, because of dyslexia. If you say "a quarter to ten" it means nothing to her, but 9:45 on a digital clock computes. She also could never ride a bike, for the same reason. That, I never will understand, but there it is.

Warren West
10-26-2018, 5:03 PM
On the other hand, if you like to keep an eye on your progress, with a view to setting and meeting deadlines in time, use an analogue watch.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Good stuff Derek.

Do you know the science or psychology around calendar views? I prefer a month at a glance so I can see a "picture" of what i have going on. A day view is ok if there is a lot going on and is sometimes a necessity, but for planning even a week view seems too small.

Bill Carey
10-28-2018, 11:38 AM

Yikes! How much time do you use deciding which one to wear? Are they set to different times so you can place yourself, temporally, where you want to be? I mean, if your behind schedule, just pick one that is set to yesterday. Problem solved. Pretty impressive collection.

Derek Cohen
10-28-2018, 12:40 PM
Good stuff Derek.

Do you know the science or psychology around calendar views? I prefer a month at a glance so I can see a "picture" of what i have going on. A day view is ok if there is a lot going on and is sometimes a necessity, but for planning even a week view seems too small.

Hi Warren

A month at a glance is what I recommend - this offers a bigger picture and more context. Use time frames, colour and icons rather than write notes. The aim is to create a picture or a pattern. Visual imagery aids in creating long term recall.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Kerry Wright
10-28-2018, 6:23 PM
I agree with using color and icons but I prefer the good old fashioned three months (previous, current and next) at a time calendar over a single month.

mark mcfarlane
10-28-2018, 6:26 PM
I have a pair of nearly identical RW analog watches. Loved the first one so much I got a backup. Wear them all the time. Been through a few crystals. No ring for decades, in or out of the shop. Wife's not happy about that. Music in the shop only when I am putzing/cleaning. As a musician, music takes away too much focus, and slows me down. I don't want to start a tool until this song is over...

Van Huskey
10-28-2018, 11:17 PM
Yikes! How much time do you use deciding which one to wear? Are they set to different times so you can place yourself, temporally, where you want to be? I mean, if your behind schedule, just pick one that is set to yesterday. Problem solved. Pretty impressive collection.

I actually spend very little time deciding which to wear, I wear them in the order they are in the boxes except when the circumstances of the particular day dictates wearing a particular watch would not be suitable. I just switch out the watch each day for the next one in the order. The various times shown are simply where the watches wound down to when I took them off, setting the watch is part of my daily ritual and I don't own any watches that require the movement of electrons to work. The collection is a product of over 25 years of buying and selling watches (mainly early manual wind Rolex Daytonas and Patek Chronographs). About 5 years ago I sold my entire collection to take advantage of stupidly inflated prices and bought mainly modern watches that I felt less traumatized to wear daily.

Derek Cohen
10-29-2018, 12:54 AM
I agree with using color and icons but I prefer the good old fashioned three months (previous, current and next) at a time calendar over a single month.

My preference as well, Kerry. However, most of the kids and adults with whom I work cannot deal with this much information at once.

The colours, etc are all to create foreground and push some information into the background (while still keeping it present).

Regards from Perth

Derek

dan petroski
10-29-2018, 8:10 AM
I took my watch off 16 years ago when i retired and never worn one since.

Steven Harrison
10-29-2018, 2:11 PM
Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm just going to be using hand tools I might leave it on. I remove my ring and watch when I'm doing anything that could cause harm to me or them. I wear a watch quite a bit though. A good silicone band is comfortable and I prefer a physical, analog dial.

Van Huskey
10-29-2018, 4:14 PM
A good silicone band is comfortable

If you like silicone you should try natural NBR rubber like Bonetto Cinturini makes: http://www.bonettocinturini.it/en/index.html

Steven Harrison
10-29-2018, 5:00 PM
If you like silicone you should try natural NBR rubber like Bonetto Cinturini makes: http://www.bonettocinturini.it/en/index.html

I'll look into those. Thanks!

John Gornall
10-30-2018, 9:54 AM
My parents gave me a Rolex Submariner at college grad as I was working as a diver. I've worn it for 49 years. Had it serviced every 5 years or so. Bought a new Rolex band a few years ago which cost more than the watch. They tell me it's worth a lot now but I'll keep wearing it. Keeps good time, needs no battery, don't have to wind it as it's self winding by my wrist movements.

Van Huskey
10-30-2018, 5:23 PM
My parents gave me a Rolex Submariner at college grad as I was working as a diver. I've worn it for 49 years. Had it serviced every 5 years or so. Bought a new Rolex band a few years ago which cost more than the watch. They tell me it's worth a lot now but I'll keep wearing it. Keeps good time, needs no battery, don't have to wind it as it's self winding by my wrist movements.

If it was new stock in 1969 it is either a 5512, 5513 or 1680. If it has a date then it is a 1680 and oddly less desirable than the 5512/13 no date Subs. In '69 the 5512 will have 4 lines of text below the hands (a "4 liner") the last 4 lines will be "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified". That means it has a movement (Either a 1560 or 1570, I think the latter in '69) that was sent to the COSC for certification that it met the accuracy standards of the COSC at the time. The 5513 would have had a non-certified movement. All three are certainly collectible but everything depends on condition and how original they are. For example, watches are often polished when they are serviced the more a vintage watch has been polished the less it is worth. Also dials, hands, bezels and stems are often replaced each drops the value. Box, papers and anchor add a lot to the value. A good original 5513 will start around $6-7K over $10K for a similar 5512. Some of this era Rolex had some interesting patina patterns such as ghosting of the bezel, spider cracking/star dusting of the dial and the dial turning brown (called a tropical) most of the watches with these issues had the offending parts replaced but the originals can bring big money, kinda like error stamps and coins.

Wear the watch and enjoy it, just don't allow it to be polished and if you MUST replace any original externally visible parts get the originals from the watchmaker and keep them. The 5512/13 are poised for a long appreciation arc and if I were still in the game I would be buying every original, unpolished, box and papers example I could find.

Rolex used to have the worst bracelets of any mid-tier brand but for the last 10 or so years they have the best, but just the Glidelock clasp for a new Sub is well over $1K.

The only "famous" woodworker/maker that I know what watch they wear is Jimmy DiResta who wears a 114060 no date Sub circa 2010. I say famous since he was indeed on a prime time network TV show.

John Gornall
10-30-2018, 6:45 PM
Van,

It's a 5513 - 210.00 retail in 1969. All original. I didn't take it off for the first 10 years until the dirt in the band from 30 countries started to smell and I had to clean it. I have a friend that grew up in a watch makers family, he's retired now and does watches as a hobby and he's really good. He services mine and the only polish is the crystal which I scratch regularly. I have the box, papers, anchor, and original band. Been offered 10k.

I think David Barron wear one in his woodwork shop.

Dave Cav
10-31-2018, 2:03 PM
I don't think I'm particularly famous (yet?) but I wore my mid '80s 168000 in the shop every day for years; not so much any more. And yeah, the clasps....I'd like to upgrade the Fliplock but the new clasps cost more than my watch did.

Rick Gibson
10-31-2018, 4:19 PM
I took my watch off 16 years ago when i retired and never worn one since.

I did the same thing at about the same time. Although I have worn it once when we went on a cruise about 10 years ago as we needed to know the time to make it to the various excursions.

Rick Potter
11-01-2018, 1:11 PM
My daughter gave me a Casio G-Shock watch for my birthday 10-15 years ago. Can't kill it.

It just keeps on ticking, if you will excuse the mixed metaphor.

Van Huskey
11-01-2018, 2:22 PM
It just keeps on ticking, if you will excuse the mixed metaphor.

Mixed or not it does sound better than "It just keeps on vibrating". 32,768 times a second to be rather precise. I bought an original 5300 in 1983 when they first came out while I was in high school, wish I still had it.

Rich Engelhardt
11-02-2018, 1:17 PM
I wear an analog Citizen WR 100 Gn-4-s my son got me for Christmas 10/12 years ago.
It stays on my wrist 7x24 - even when I go swimming every day.
I probably should take it off when using power tools, but, I usually forget.

Paul F Mills
11-02-2018, 9:36 PM
I wear a watch everyday and occasionally wear one in the shop. Today I was wearing a vintage two tone Rolex DJ. A few weeks ago I was wearing a vintage pink gold PP.

Van Huskey
11-03-2018, 4:52 PM
I wear a watch everyday and occasionally wear one in the shop. Today I was wearing a vintage two tone Rolex DJ. A few weeks ago I was wearing a vintage pink gold PP.

When I read the post I had to took a double take because it reads more like a WUS post than an SMC post... Wonder what percentage of people here know what a DJ or a PP is. Out of curiosity which PP? I must say I wear my watches without a lot of regard to anything but water but I must say if I have on a PP, VC Lange or AP they get switched out before going to the shop, kudos to you for wearing them. I have dived with my Nautilus and Aquanaut though.

Rick Potter
11-03-2018, 6:03 PM
I know..

DJ = disc jockey.

PP = private party.

John Sincerbeaux
11-03-2018, 9:17 PM
When I read the post I had to took a double take because it reads more like a WUS post than an SMC post... Wonder what percentage of people here know what a DJ or a PP is. Out of curiosity which PP? I must say I wear my watches without a lot of regard to anything but water but I must say if I have on a PP, VC Lange or AP they get switched out before going to the shop, kudos to you for wearing them. I have dived with my Nautilus and Aquanaut though.

I don’t suppose a big percentage of WUS folks know what a Martin T45 or a T60C is???

I love high-end watches, but right now high-end woodworking equipment speaks to me louder and I know they’re not counterfeit, don’t have to keep them in a safe, and they help me make money.

That being said, my next “machine” will be a “Sky Dweller”😀

Harry Niemann
11-06-2018, 11:43 AM
The older you get, the less you care about what time it is. So the answer is no.

Tony Joyce
11-06-2018, 1:05 PM
I wear my Rolex DateJust daily and have everyday since it replaced the Baume & Mercier Riviera I wore everyday prior to that. I prefer the Baume for work wear, because it is thinner. I've discovered the Riviera it is no longer made, so I won't be wearing it to work any more.

Tony

Brian Runau
11-26-2020, 6:31 AM
No jewelry. I don't even have music or tv on, I don't want the distraction. Brian

Tony Latham
11-26-2020, 11:14 AM
Odd question, but no. I don’t know anyone but my Dad who wears a watch at all.

Two generations. Some of us grew up without a phone tied to us. I usually do a six-day wilderness float trip every summer. I'm frequently the only one wearing a watch. During the course of a day I get hit up frequently, "what time is it?" ;)

But yeah, it's always on me.

Tony

Frank Pratt
11-26-2020, 11:27 AM
I haven't worn a watch for at least 10 years & don't miss it a bit. When doing any kind of tool work I don't wear any jewelry on my hands.

Derek Cohen
11-26-2020, 11:42 AM
Two generations. Some of us grew up without a phone tied to us. I usually do a six-day wilderness float trip every summer. I'm frequently the only one wearing a watch. During the course of a day I get hit up frequently, "what time is it?" ;)

But yeah, it's always on me.

Tony

Some here are aware that in my day job I am a clinical psychologist and specialise in working with children and adolescents. I am considered to be an expert working with ADHD and ASD.

I have given many public talks over the years. Twenty-five years ago I used have a standard joke for the audience. It was a serious statement, but stated in a joking manner. It would go,
"I can diagnose the likelihood of your child being ADHD in 3 seconds flat - all I have to do is look at their wrists". Now I must emphasise that this was true of 25 years ago, but I cannot state it today. What I was looking for back then was whether the child wore a watch. It was still the era of analogue watches, and children with ADHD just had no interest in time (they are "time blind"), and did not wear a watch. When they did wear a watch, it was digital ... because they liked pushing the buttons and setting alarms. It was a toy.

I cannot say this today since many (children and adults) do not wear watches anymore. Instead, they carry pocket watches (mobile/cell phones), which are digital. Everything seems to be digital these days - computers, microwave ovens, even motorcar speedometers. Still, the difficulty with visualising time and time frames is a central factor in ADHD, and a factor behind poor organisational skills, forward planning and time management. It really would not surprise me that the move to digital time is a component in the increase in ADHD over the decades.

Regards from Perth

Derek (daily wearer: 1984 Tudor/Rolex Submariner on a comfortable silicon RubberB strap)

Joe Spear
11-26-2020, 12:38 PM
I am definitely not ADHD. But I got my first digital watch in 1974 because of how I could time my running more accurately. Now that I no longer can run, I'm just used to it.

Mike Henderson
11-26-2020, 12:46 PM
This is a very old thread.

I stopped wearing a watch when I started carrying a smartphone. But recently, I started wearing an Apple watch. All it's really good for is exercise tracking but that's what I bought it for.

Mike

Matthew Hills
11-26-2020, 1:34 PM
I use a calendar instead of a watch to keep track of my time on a project... (sigh)

Steve Demuth
11-26-2020, 1:59 PM
I've never worn a wristwatch, in the shop or otherwise. Carried a pocket watch years ago, but never really got in the habit of using it. Nowadays times that matter to me when I"m working are announced - nay, nagged - to me by Microsoft Exchange, and I don't really pay much attention otherwise. There are analog wall clocks in my shop and in our house if do need the time.

Mel Fulks
11-26-2020, 2:18 PM
Steve, your post reminds me of Lord Chesterfield's (or was it Lord Marlboro?) advice to his son. Something like ,"take
your watch out to see the time....not to show people you have one"

Warren Lake
11-26-2020, 3:11 PM
do you remember when Siegfried said "the watch took a licking but it kept on ticking" quote from educational TV shows of the past and borrowed from timex before that. This one did 35 years in my shop,. five glasses later and too many straps later it was suggested i retire it as the insides were not as happy as when they started out. Found the closest guy I could to replace it and so far not been in the shop, forgot it was on a few times doing outside work and even that was a mistake. Second hand was a good thing for timing lacquers through a cup.

Rob Luter
11-26-2020, 4:28 PM
I wear a watch every day all day. My life includes a number of time and schedule critical activities and I want to know where I stand at a glance as opposed to pulling my phone out of my pocket. I work with a number of folks who have abandoned watches in favor of their phone. They're chronically late for everything and expect it not to matter. It matters.

Bill Carey
11-26-2020, 5:03 PM
When I stopped estimating I took off the watch and I marked the time by looking at my phone - and I use the term marked because, as has been pointed out, it is mark on the scale, a point in time, a place. I found myself being distracted by emails, chats, weather, youtube, etc etc every time I looked at the phone as well and was wasting time. Which may very well be an oxymoron since I doubt you can waste digital time. When I was estimating the watch gave me perspective on the duration of the processes I was working on, and this afforded me the ability to plan my day and have some certainty that I could accomplish what I had set out for myself. Working in the shop more in the last 3 years I missed the flow of time, so started wearing a watch again. For instance I can look at my phone and know that this post took 6 minutes, or I can look at my watch and see that I have been writing this for 6 minutes. Now 7.

So yes, I wear my shop watch every day, and then afterward I put on the non shop watch. And the funny thing is they are the same inexpensive model from Timex, one white and one black.

Mel Fulks
11-26-2020, 5:22 PM
Interesting question. I remember when the Acutron came out . I had to have one. Think it was about $125 in mid sixties.
They were ganranteed accurate to a minute a month. But some years back at a seven eleven store the clerk dropped an
animated " The Simpsons" watch on the counter ,but it did not break. And it still works!! Was free with purchase of 8
gallons of gas. The Acutron made a high pitched noise, but I doubt I would hear it now. Perhaps I'll buy it a battery.

Jim Becker
11-26-2020, 6:50 PM
This thread was likely bumped by a spammer.

While I haven't worn any kind watch for a number of years now, I didn't feel uncomfortable with one on while in the shop. It was not loose, etc. because of my wrist issues, I switched to a belt-loop type watch for awhile but even that went away when I retired from full time work. I've just used my phone or the wall clock to know the time since then. Now I did ask "Santa Claus" for an Apple Watch, but I don't know if I'd wear it in the shop or not if the big elf leaves one under the tree. It's more of something I'm just interested in for other reasons...

While I'm personally ok with a watch, I'm not ok with rings...I learned that the hard way years ago when my wedding band got smooshed when I was doing something (I can't remember what) either in there or on the property somewhere.

Bruce King
11-26-2020, 7:47 PM
I wore watches until I started carrying a phone even though I arc welded a watch band across a charged up capacitor once doing electronic component level repairs. I had to reach into some scary equipment to make voltage checks in a previous career but used the non watch arm. Now I pull out my phone to check the time, check email etc and put the phone back without remembering the time. I’m retired so it doesn’t matter, sometimes I don’t even know what day it is.

Ray Newman
11-26-2020, 7:51 PM
Have a big 16" diameter wall clock in the shop. Don't have my watch con/with me in the shop as its chain will/does get in the way at times.

Mel Fulks
11-26-2020, 9:59 PM
Some of us remember Dick Tracy ( famous comic strip police detective) using "2 way wrist radio" in pursuit of funny looking criminals. The first stylish wrist watch-" walky talky ". He often wore a bright yellow trench coat.

Curt Putnam
11-26-2020, 10:05 PM
My dad wore the watch faithfully. Now I do.

Keith Outten
11-27-2020, 8:06 AM
Retired my watch when I got my first beeper. Since cell phones I now have a calendar as well and notes to remind me of whatever is important for any particular day. I have a wall clock in my shop and several upstairs in my office. When I am mobile in the yard or using wireless earbuds its "Hey Siri what time is it"?

Alan Lightstone
11-27-2020, 8:29 AM
Wear a watch faithfully every day. As far as not being as accurate as a cell phone, my Seiko Astron is guaranteed to be accurate to 1 second every 50,000 years. I told the saleswoman that if it is off in 20,000 years, I'm going to find her.

Pretty well the only fashion statement left for men, FWIW. Sorry, an iWatch doesn't really work for me for fashion, and working in the OR on call, an 18hr battery life was the deal breaker there. Woulda been a little awkward asking to turn off the heart-lung machine as I have to run and charge my watch. :eek: Still have my original calculator watch from the 70s. Sadly doesn't work. I brought it into a watch repair place once, and he looked at me like I had the plague.

Scott Bernstein
11-27-2020, 10:18 AM
I have always been fascinated with all things mechanical. That's part of reason why I enjoy woodworking, cycling, and collecting mechanical watches. I always wear two watches, one on each wrist. One is some kind of activity tracker, Garmin mostly, to keep track of my rides. I found that if I don't wear it all the time I'll head out on rides without it. On the other wrist is always a mechanical timepiece. I save the Lange and Vacheron for non-wood-working times, but I might sport a simple Seiko 5, Doxa, or Sinn in the shop. I won't wear my Accutron in the shop either...vintage cases like the Accutron's are not well known for their ability to seal out dust.

To the respondent who mentioned getting a new battery for their vintage accutron...make sure you get a correct battery. The "tuning fork" mechanism is partly dependent on the correct battery voltage for proper timekeeping. The old mercury-based batteries these movements were designed for are not made anymore. However, you can find batteries from specialty on-line sellers with a built-in voltage regular which will work.

SB

Greg Hines, MD
11-27-2020, 9:12 PM
How odd that this showed up again. I had replied in 2018, one whole shop ago, but did not realize you were asking about wrist watches. I generally wear two, one on each wrist. On my right wrist is an Apple Watch, which is, to me, an extension of my iPhone, letting me answer phone calls, control my Audible Book or music, etc. On my left wrist is an Omega Seamaster.

Doc

Jim Dwight
11-27-2020, 9:50 PM
Yes I wear a watch and I do not take it off for woodworking. I sometimes take it off when working on a car but that is only because it catches on things and makes it difficult to get to where I need to get to. I do not think a watch is a safety issue for woodworking. I do not wear clothing with loose sleeves, however, because I believe there is some small chance it will catch in a tool and pull my hand toward the blade.

Ole Anderson
11-28-2020, 9:27 AM
In a word, yes. Interesting that this was a "poll" but didn't use the forum's poll function. I was expecting one.

Jim Becker
11-28-2020, 10:18 AM
In a word, yes. Interesting that this was a "poll" but didn't use the forum's poll function. I was expecting one.

Old thread, resurrected by a spammer...but still an interesting topic after all the time has passed. Greg's comment above is a good example because technology is playing a role in folks' habits. Watches are not necessarily just timekeeping devices these days.

chuck van dyck
11-28-2020, 10:40 AM
I wear an old Seiko Automatic my granddad gave me.

As a 35 yr old member of the ADD generation, I find a watch helps me stay on task. Show me a screen and I lose 15min, just like what is happening right now.

That plus the undeniable coolness of a functional automatic adds a lot of mojo to my work. It being an heirloom to me adds even more.

Never had it be a safety issue.

Alex Zeller
11-28-2020, 11:46 AM
This thread was likely bumped by a spammer.

I've close close to accidentally bringing back old threads. I'll search for something I'm curious about and then get side tracked because the topic of the thread shifted from what I was searching for to something different. More than once I wanted to add a reply only to realize it's not 2007. It happens.

Bill Dufour
11-28-2020, 1:25 PM
Teenagers do not wear watches much anymore. They all have a cellphone and many have a hard time reading an analog clock. If they have a watch it is some thing that shows heartbeat, counts steps or plays music.
Bill D
High School teacher