PDA

View Full Version : Nice saw, but

steven c newman
09-26-2018, 10:47 PM
The operator needs a bit more practice?
Needed to cut these two lines, without waking up the house..
Got this down from the hook it was hanging from...
Might need a sharpening, sometime...a rub down with a candle seemed to help..
I can follow a line...but blade wants to twist a bit going vertical..
Need more practice....

Bill McDermott
09-26-2018, 11:01 PM
Steven, Your forum posts are generous and interesting. Keep 'em coming. Always fun. You're one of the folks that are the life of the Neaderthal party.

I don't have saw like that, but my coping saw, bow saw and even bandsaw seem to be pretty eager to follow the grain. It looks like your board has some squirrely stuff on the near side.

Question: If you know you are approaching contrary grain with a saw blade that is likely to follow the grain... how do you guard against the veering cut? Is it just a matter of slowing down and moving carefully? Any tricks or techniques?

steven c newman
09-26-2018, 11:29 PM
Haven't found many, yet. I usually drop the handle down low, so I am sawing across the entire width. once it straightens back on line, then I can try to fight the rest of the problems. Might be an "Operator Error" going on, too.

Mark Rainey
09-27-2018, 8:42 PM
Steve, i have played around with frame saws . Even bought expensive very sharp turbo blade (the scar on my R thumb proves ). Sometimes it cut like a dream, other times it strayed. It hangs from my ceiling collecting dust.

Simon MacGowen
09-27-2018, 8:56 PM
Steven, Your forum posts are generous and interesting. Keep 'em coming. Always fun. You're one of the folks that are the life of the Neaderthal party.

Not sure about Steven, but fun is the key reason why I troll, oops, stroll any forum.;)

Simon

Simon MacGowen
09-27-2018, 9:01 PM
It hangs from my ceiling collecting dust.

I had never liked my frame saw (Frank Klausz is top-gun with it); i gave it away. No clue why I got it in the first place -- it was a long time ago.

Simon

Luke Dupont
09-27-2018, 10:24 PM
I played with frame saws for a while.

I recommend giving anything a very thorough try with an open mind. Sometimes things just take learning and getting the knack of. Frame saws have some great advantages in terms of speed and versatility, and served many woodworkers quite well historically.

I never quite got the hang of them as compared to the Japanese saws that I tend to rely on, but with practice I did get better, and I'm sure I could become very proficient with them in time. I'll probably make a new one to play with at some point as I left my old one in America.

Also, I just love the simplicity and beauty of them, and the ease of making my own, custom cut blades. It's actually kind of difficult to really screw up a bow saw, whilst making your own back saw or pull saw is a much more complicated matter.

Tony Zaffuto
09-28-2018, 1:03 PM
I bought a frame saw, along with a turbo blade also, maybe a half dozen years ago. Never could figure how to hold my tongue, and cuts strayed all over. It hangs on the wall, but I'll never get rid of it: it looks really "woodworking"!

steven c newman
09-28-2018, 3:40 PM
I might see how it does on a Pine 1 x 6 after awhile....need a back for a drawer.

The saw is not a "kit", although I did build it....for a few scraps of Maple, a length of 5/16" all-thread, and an 18" long Butcher's Meat Saw blade. Reused the hardware to hold the blade, and a wing nut/washer to tighten the all-thread. No glue was used...center sits in a mortise at each end,,,with a tenon. Non-wing nut end of the all thread was bent down into a mortise. Hardest part was shaping the handles/arms/whatever .

steven c newman
10-01-2018, 5:21 PM
Today was an odds & ends day....got the Wentworth No. 1 out..
Found a file...and worked on the teeth of this saw...
Added the tape more as a grip, and to let me know which end was the handle..played around a bit....fixed shelves for the Project were cut to width...then a little play time..
Scrap of Pine, that was leftover from the shelves...too short. About 6 strokes per cut...
About the same for these. Went just to the depth of the blade.
May find a use for this saw...