PDA

View Full Version : Shop comfort

David Wilson
11-26-2005, 5:27 PM
Last summer while visiting John M. in WI I was impressed by the floor mat system in his shop. I finally found a similar system at sears. The mats are 2'x2' and have a dovetail pattern on the edges so they interlock. The mats have a diamond plate pattern on the surface which makes them aesier to clean. (The shop vac doesn't stick to them as bad). After working on a cement floor for years they are a real treat for the feet.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26578&stc=1&d=1133043999

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2005, 8:30 PM
David I did the same thing in my shop. Got them from Sears. I love them. When I would stand on concrete for 5 to 8 hours my knees would kill me. I haven't had any knee problems since. I went back and did the whole shop floor with them as before I just had them in front of the benches.

Gary Herrmann
11-26-2005, 9:05 PM
Another option worth considering is stall mats for horses. I don't know what they retail for, but I know a family that is downsizing their horse barn, so I may be able to get a few. I've seen them out at their place. The rubber is very dense, but it would still give better than concrete.

I gave up hoops because the doc told me the next surgery would probably be a total knee. So what do I do? Pick another hobby where if I actually get the shop time I want, my knees wind up killing me.

Its a good thing my son got my wife's intellect, cuz his knees look my mine from the outside.

Bob Marino
11-26-2005, 9:56 PM
Dave,

How much are the mats and can heavy equipment (band saw, jointer, etc.) roll fairly easily on them?

Bob

David Wilson
11-27-2005, 4:15 AM
Bob,
The mats sell for $20.00 for a pack of 6. Covers 24 sq ft. I put them around tools as rolling heavy tools across them would not be practical.

Chris Damm
11-27-2005, 7:05 AM
You can buy a 8 pack for about $17 at Sam's Club. I covered all the open areas of my shop- what a difference on these old feet!

Jim DeLaney
11-27-2005, 7:44 AM
You can buy a 8 pack for about $17 at Sam's Club. I covered all the open areas of my shop- what a difference on these old feet!

They're great! I've got about twelve packs of them covering all the open areas in my shop, too. Only drawback is that it's hard to roll the bandsaw, router table, etc. over them.

BTW, the ones from Sam's are different than the Sears variety. Sears product has a 'diamond-plate' like surface with little nubs, and the Sam's Club variety has a smooth surface. Either one is way better than standing on bare concrete!

James Biddle
11-27-2005, 12:21 PM
I just bought the 6-pack version at Cosco for $9/pack.

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2005, 3:49 PM
I don't have much trouble rolling my machines over them. I have the 3" double locking wheels on all my roll arounds. Doesn't seem to bother.