PDA

View Full Version : Okay... Y'all got me into this, now help me

Bob Noles
11-26-2005, 5:12 PM
Just got in from the great outdoors after rearranging my shop early this morning, (thank goodness I had the foresight to put everything on wheels from the beginning) and then being pulled to the front of the house to help my sweetheart decorate for Chrismas :eek:

My early morning efforts surprised me and opened up a nice 60 X 30 footprint for my new midi lathe which is steaming my way as I write this. I swear there is not room out there for another power tool if my life depended on it, but then again, I'm not sure there are any tools that I don't already have in that tiny little shop, :cool: so hopefully I won't have to do this again :(

Anyhow.... now that y'all have pushed me over the edge and got me into this mess with all your fancy pants pretty pieces of art and making me jealous because I didn't have the tool to do all that nice work with, I need some help building this infant arrival a crib.

Could those of you with mini's or midi's and have the ability, please post some pictures of your lathe cabinets or what ever you use to mount this little rascal on. I need some ideas I can steel, errrr... I mean borrow.... to start building something that will be functional. I am thinking right now of going with the lathe on the surface and the grinder at the end next to the lathe. Will this crowd things too much? Also, how about divided drawers below the table top to house the chisels and other tools. Of course the first requirement will be a base on wheels like everything else out there ;)

Thanks so much for putting up with me and I do hope everyone is having a wonderful and long Thanksgiving weekend.

John Hart
11-26-2005, 5:40 PM
Bob,
I built my lathe cabinet with 2 X 4s and those 90 degree 2X4 brackets that you can get at HD....Then I made a butcher block top for it and covered the rest of it with some nice plywood. I anchored the whole thing to the wall and just put doors on it. I store all my junk underneath but the turning tools are up on top. If it were me....drawers would be a bad idea because I leave drawers open. They would soon fill with chips and then I couldn't find anything (since I'm pretty sure I wouldn't clean the drawers out after they filled up with chips):o

Chris Barton
11-26-2005, 5:50 PM
Hi Bob,

Here is a picture I mad eof my Jet mini and the cabinet I use it on. The lathe is screwed down on to a piece of scrap 3/4" ply with a 1" front lip. That way, I put it on top of the cabinet with the lip over the front of the top and it doesn't slide. The lathe will fit in either of the two shelves below the top (but they are full of stuff right now). That way I can move the lathe down below when I am not using it or if I want to use my scroll saw there instead. I hope this is helpfull.

chris

Bob Noles
11-26-2005, 5:55 PM
Bob,
I built my lathe cabinet with 2 X 4s and those 90 degree 2X4 brackets that you can get at HD....Then I made a butcher block top for it and covered the rest of it with some nice plywood. I anchored the whole thing to the wall and just put doors on it. I store all my junk underneath but the turning tools are up on top. If it were me....drawers would be a bad idea because I leave drawers open. They would soon fill with chips and then I couldn't find anything (since I'm pretty sure I wouldn't clean the drawers out after they filled up with chips):o

Now John... being a moderator you know the rules :p No pictures.... didn't happen :D

This is a really good opportunity for some photography practice :rolleyes:

Seriously, I am trying to picture in my mind how you have "the turning tools on top"? Are they secured or have you mounted some sort of bracket system?

Bob Noles
11-26-2005, 5:59 PM
Chris,

I think I remember you sharing that with me in my first post and I thought that was a really cool idea. I can see where not having it permanetly mounted to the top would have some really flexible advantages.

Thanks for posting it again for me.

John Hart
11-26-2005, 6:15 PM
Ok...you asked for it.:D

Now, I don't know how it got this messy....but I'm going to have to clean up a little. I'll do that tomorrow.:p

So...."On Top" means all over on top. I have various racks and stuff but the tools just seem to migrate into this pile. They seem to do it by themselves because I'll clean up and put them all away...then one Ornament later...it looks like this. Kinda makes ya want to take everything back to the store doesn't it? :o

John Hart
11-26-2005, 6:17 PM
Oh...by the way...Chris Barton recommended that Grizzley Chuck you see there.....That thing is nice!!!! Thanks Chris!!

Bob Noles
11-26-2005, 6:30 PM
Okay John.... now I understand what "on top" means :)

Hey... ya can't work and keep things all neat and pretty at the same time. The only thing that really needs to be pretty is the end results and yours are most certainly that!

I think I also understand your comment the other day about not being sentimental about the back wall, you sure bleed a lot :)

One thing your set up did give me an idea on that I haven't thought of was the extra light. I'll bet you were trying to keep that a secret from me too :)

John, thanks so much for going through the trouble giving me a picture. I really do appreciate this and all other things you have done for me in my quest.

Andy Hoyt
11-26-2005, 7:08 PM
Ok...you asked for it.....

Looks like that Ugly Stick is spawning lotsa babies!

Nice and messy John, just the way it should be.

Mark Patoka
11-26-2005, 7:42 PM
Bob,
Here is what I use based on plans from ShopNotes issue 67 (about 3 years ago). Works perfect for me as I have to store all my tools in my half of the two car garage. I don't have my grinder/wolverine jig mounted down so I can move it if needed for the extended lathe bed.

Mark

Bob Noles
11-26-2005, 7:58 PM
Bob,
Here is what I use based on plans from ShopNotes issue 67 (about 3 years ago). Works perfect for me as I have to store all my tools in my half of the two car garage. I don't have my grinder/wolverine jig mounted down so I can move it if needed for the extended lathe bed.

Mark

Mark,

I am soooo glad you posted your pics. I was looking thru my shopnotes earlier today and saw that plan. It is so nice to see it in person and helps me better visualize the full potential. Is it fairly easy to move around? How about chisel storage in the drawers?

Thanks for sharing

Carole Valentine
11-26-2005, 8:40 PM
Ok...you asked for it.:D

Now, I don't know how it got this messy....but I'm going to have to clean up a little. I'll do that tomorrow.:p

So...."On Top" means all over on top. I have various racks and stuff but the tools just seem to migrate into this pile. They seem to do it by themselves because I'll clean up and put them all away...then one Ornament later...it looks like this. Kinda makes ya want to take everything back to the store doesn't it? :o
Goodness, John, how can you manage to hollow a bowl with no more room than that behind your lathe? And with your lathe so far back from the front of the bench? Sometimes on small steep sided bowls or boxes, the handle of my gouge is way out behind the lathe when I am starting an inside cut from the rim...I would for sure be hitting the wall! Maybe the wall is farther away than it looks. I guess the difference also might be that you use Big Bertha instead of a bowl gouge so you don't need the swing clearance.

John Hart
11-26-2005, 8:50 PM
Well....That is something that I fought for a while. But since I'm new at this, it really wasn't that long. Then Andy Hoyt mentioned hollowing outboard in another thread. After kicking myself in the head for not thinking of that m'self, I swung the headstock out about 30 degrees and I have all the hollowing room I'd ever need. I missed the obvious I reckon.:rolleyes: :o

Mark Patoka
11-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Bob,
I have 3" double-locking casters from Woodcraft on it and and it's real easy to move around. I only lock the front two wheels while turning and haven't had a problem with it moving around. If you turn something really out of balance and heavy it will shake somewhat just because it doesn't have the mass to absorb it.

I didn't make the open bottom drawers as in the plan, just one regular drawer so I could keep other stuff in there also. My longer Crown scraper and gouge fit perfectly in the large drawer and the others fit well in the small drawer. I have plenty of room for all my other turning supplies, chucks, calipers, pen kits, etc.

You could put doors on the front open area as shavings do get into the shelf area but only the front inch or two.

Andy Hoyt
11-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Bob - Here's a pic that will hopefully provide some inspiration for storage ideas.

If you're gonna turn stuff that starts with a kit, such as pens, you'll want drawers with many compartments. The open drawer in this shot has about eight or nine 4x4 (+/-) sections that I use to keep stuff segregated. 7mm stuff here; 3/8 stuff there etc. This helps me to remember what the stuff is; and I also rely on sandwich bags and a sharpie.

The wall cabinet on the right began life as a drafting table. A modification I made to it after my first turning session with it in place was to remove the bottom (former back). That way chips don't accumulate.

I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to having stuff close at hand so just about everything I need is just a step away. I suggest you take full advantage of available wall space to hang stuff on. Forgo shelves - just use screws or finish nails to hang stuff. That way chips don't accumulate.

Actually, try to avoid building/providing any horizontal surface, or at least minimize it. This will force you to put stuff back where it belongs, which allows for a cleaner space and less clutter which, for me, is a distraction.

But that said, you will want some place to put various stuff during a turning session. You'll want a handy spot for the handful of gouges and skews etc that you'll work with back and forth while completing a piece.

Hope this helps.

Carole Valentine
11-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Well....That is something that I fought for a while. But since I'm new at this, it really wasn't that long. Then Andy Hoyt mentioned hollowing outboard in another thread. After kicking myself in the head for not thinking of that m'self, I swung the headstock out about 30 degrees and I have all the hollowing room I'd ever need. I missed the obvious I reckon.:rolleyes: :o
LOL Guess I missed the obvious! Did not realize that your lathe had a swiveling headstock! Problem solved.:D

Bob Noles
11-27-2005, 6:05 AM
Bob - Here's a pic that will hopefully provide some inspiration for storage ideas.

If you're gonna turn stuff that starts with a kit, such as pens, you'll want drawers with many compartments. The open drawer in this shot has about eight or nine 4x4 (+/-) sections that I use to keep stuff segregated. 7mm stuff here; 3/8 stuff there etc. This helps me to remember what the stuff is; and I also rely on sandwich bags and a sharpie.

The wall cabinet on the right began life as a drafting table. A modification I made to it after my first turning session with it in place was to remove the bottom (former back). That way chips don't accumulate.

I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to having stuff close at hand so just about everything I need is just a step away. I suggest you take full advantage of available wall space to hang stuff on. Forgo shelves - just use screws or finish nails to hang stuff. That way chips don't accumulate.

Actually, try to avoid building/providing any horizontal surface, or at least minimize it. This will force you to put stuff back where it belongs, which allows for a cleaner space and less clutter which, for me, is a distraction.

But that said, you will want some place to put various stuff during a turning session. You'll want a handy spot for the handful of gouges and skews etc that you'll work with back and forth while completing a piece.

Hope this helps.

Andy,

Thanks for all the great advice and tips. You have a well thought out work area and looks like you have provided soulutions for most any situation that comes about. From the sounds of things, chips are going to be a battle. It is funny how each tool poses new challanges that you don't even think about until you get involved. I especially appreciate the advice on segregating project parts and misc and will further study the picture for additional ideas.

Many here on the turning forum may not be familiar with my small shop being that I am from upstairs. I posted pictures of both the outside and the inside about a month or so ago if you want to look the threads up under my profile. There is good reason that everything in my shop is on wheels other than just the shop being small ;) ...... my main advantage over dust and chips etc is that I roll my tools outside most of the time to do my work. This lathe hopefully will be no different although there will still be times when working inside is a better option.

Now it's Carole's turn for a picture :)

Thanks so much for the helpful inspiration, information and guidance y'all have given.

Jim Ketron
11-27-2005, 8:12 AM
Here is what I came up with for my jet Mini, its pretty simple but works great also I will include a few pics of my grinder and buffing station. Both are high enough so I don't have to bend over to use them. all of them was constructed from pipe and angle iron. wheels could be added to any of them. if you will do a search you can find some nice Mobile tool carts that a few guys made to hold the lathe tools.
you will soon find that you will need to wax all your other woodworking tools so they wont rust from lack of use:D

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/woodworking033.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/woodworking036.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/woodworking035.jpg

Mark Singer
11-27-2005, 8:34 AM
Oaky... Y'all got me into this, now help me

Who are you calling an Oaky?

Bob Noles
11-27-2005, 8:54 AM
Oaky... Y'all got me into this, now help me

Who are you calling an Oaky?

Wipe that sleep out of the eyes and look again :p

Thanks for catching it.... my fingers many times get ahead of my brain :eek:

Bob Noles
11-27-2005, 8:56 AM
Jim,

Really nice set up and so creative. I really like the sanding and buffing stations. You certainly have much more room than myself.

Thanks for sharing.

John Hart
11-27-2005, 9:06 AM
I have my grinder set up on a bench right behind me as I'm turning. It's very close.....maybe too close as I often bump into it when I'm working between centers or the outside of a bowl. It's in a perfect spot for when I'm working on hollowing though. I need more room. I'd like to have it convenient, but maybe a bit farther away.

Mark Singer
11-27-2005, 9:09 AM
I have my grinder set up on a bench right behind me as I'm turning. It's very close.....maybe too close as I often bump into it when I'm working between centers or the outside of a bowl. It's in a perfect spot for when I'm working on hollowing though. I need more room. I'd like to have it convenient, but maybe a bit farther away.

John,
Careful you could get behind in your work:confused:

Gary DeWitt
11-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Here's my setup. I built the stand from 2x12, 2x6, 2x4 and 3/4 ply. The drawers are in a separate cabinet that just rests on the 2x4 stringers that are across the bottom of the stand. They are made from 3/4 melamine and 1/2 ply for the drawers, all scrap I had around. The grinder stand is separate 3/4 melamine. Finish on the stand is shellac. Total cost was under $15.
The tools are hung from small eye hooks in the handles.
Lathe currently has a vacuum chuck on it, that mess of pipes and stuff hanging off the end of the stand is the mechanical control and gauge. It and the pump were salvaged from the printing place I used to work for when they got rid of their old camera, actually threw it out.
Hope the pics link up ok, and that this helps.

Bob Noles
11-27-2005, 10:22 AM
Gary,

That is an AWESOME, yet simple set up. I can see all kinds of ideas in there for study.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Bob Noles
11-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Got another quick question for the group.......

What is a good standard height of your workstation top from the floor?

Gary DeWitt
11-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks Bob. Surprised you could see anything under the chips...

Excellent question. It's not the work surface in the case of a lathe, it's the spindle height. Books I've read recomend spindle height to equal the operators' elbow height, seems to work well for me.

Andy Hoyt
11-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Hey that's nice Gary. Of course, what I really like is your "inspiration photo" for your next project! I'm flattered.

Chris Barton
11-27-2005, 1:19 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of my primary turning area around my PM5320a. I have a dedicated sharpening and "parts" station to the left of the lathe, and a rolling chisel and gouge stand. In fact. almost everything in my shop is on wheels. I have found that I will always need to move something around eventually and as inexpensive as a good set of casters is, it just makes more sense to me to put wheels on at the very beginning. I hope this helps with you setup ideas. Lots of great suggestions on this thread...

Andy Hoyt
11-27-2005, 1:26 PM
Very Nice Chris!

How'd you turn that canoe? The 3520 doesn't appear to be long enough.

Bob Noles
11-27-2005, 1:49 PM
Wow Chris..... now that is a lathe! You too have a great set up. I kind of like that idea of a seperate tool holder. Now I am thinking maybe a combo tool holder/grinding station may be something to consider. Hmmmmm

Thanks for sharing, Chris.

Chip Sutherland
11-27-2005, 2:45 PM
The legs and top are hollow boxes filled with sand. It took about 1.5 sheets of 1/2 inch AC plywood, three 2x4s, construction adhesive and a nail gun. I haven't installed the middle shelf of gussets to solidify the unit. It's pretty solid already. The intent was to mount tool racks on each side but I got distracted. I had some of the material already taking up space in the garage so my total cost was about $25 because I bought pre-cut sheets of ply. Bolts and T-nuts hold the top down so I can disassemble it. I actually made it too tall but I have a 3 inch ledge in my garage to stand on....until I cut it down.

Carole Valentine
11-27-2005, 3:59 PM
Now it's Carole's turn for a picture :)

My Mini just sits on the plain old Jet steel stand. I don't turn anything big on it anymore so I don't need anything real heavy. The Nova also sits on a steel stand from Woodcraft, which is totally unsatisfactory, even with 200 lbs of sand on the shelf. Need to build something for it but probably never will.

Bob Noles
11-27-2005, 4:31 PM
Thanks Chip and Carole.

So much is starting to come together for me now from all the great help you folks have given me. I know I can never repay you for nurturing me thru the phases I have been through so far. I want to get my lathe all set up properly even though it may appear that I haven't a clue at this point. It is just my way of getting there and believe me I will :rolleyes: . I have always done better to get my tools and then learn to use them. I have already had a very kind individual offer to take me under his wing that lives less than 45 minutes from me. We plan to meet next week so I can get some wood chips in my shoes and learn some tips from him :eek:

I have really enjoyed this thread and have gained many ideas from it. I think I have enough picture in my mind to get started building a lathe center for when "baby" arrives".

Just another short question to help me make some informed decisions on tool storage. Can anyone tell me how long the longest chiesel will be? I have ordered full sized tools.

TIA and God Bless

Carole Valentine
11-27-2005, 5:49 PM
Can anyone tell me how long the longest chiesel will be? I have ordered full sized tools.

Bob, the folks you bought from should be able to tell you that. In fact it should tell you on the web site. THey vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. But don't count on the tools you start with being the longest you will own.;)

John Hart
11-27-2005, 6:23 PM
....But don't count on the tools you start with being the longest you will own.;)

I'll say.;) Have I introduced you to Bertha?

I agree with Carole....Mainly because she'd probably yell at me if I didn't :D

Bob Noles
11-27-2005, 7:35 PM
I'll say.;) Have I introduced you to Bertha?

I agree with Carole....Mainly because she'd probably yell at me if I didn't :D

John.... you are a very wise man :D :D

Sounds like bertha would make a good story stick.... just how big is she?