PDA

View Full Version : My first and only ornament

John Hart
11-26-2005, 4:59 PM
Ok...I made an ornament. I'm not going to make anymore. This took all day and I still ended up with tear-out and a pile of broken spindles. :o ....But, everyone else likes it so I guess it'll end up on the tree. It's Cocobolo and Yellowheart, finished with BLO then lacquer. Back to bowls!!:D

Michael Stafford
11-26-2005, 5:19 PM
Looks wonderful, John! The finish is exceptional. Did you hollow the cocobolo bulb? Turning cocobolo is a real treat isn't it? Nice job!;)

John Miliunas
11-26-2005, 5:24 PM
Ok...I made an ornament. :D

Ohhhh, I don't know, John. I think you should just vow to make one just as nice for all of your SMC buddies!!!:D :D :D (In other words, I think it looks great!!!):) :cool:

John Hart
11-26-2005, 5:31 PM
Looks wonderful, John! The finish is exceptional. Did you hollow the cocobolo bulb? Turning cocobolo is a real treat isn't it? Nice job!;)

Thanks Mike....I made myself a little hollowing scraper from a small curved chisel I picked up at Harbor Freight a while back. I turned the bulb first and hollowed it just like a regular HF. That was the funnest part of the project. Yes...you're right...Cocobolo is a joy to turn!!:)

John Hart
11-26-2005, 5:32 PM
Ohhhh, I don't know, John. I think you should just vow to make one just as nice for all of your SMC buddies!!!:D :D :D (In other words, I think it looks great!!!):) :cool:

Thanks John....How's about YOU make them for all my SMC buddies??!!!! I'll make you a scraper and you can make ornaments!!!:p :) :)

John Miliunas
11-26-2005, 5:46 PM
Thanks John....How's about YOU make them for all my SMC buddies??!!!! I'll make you a scraper and you can make ornaments!!!:p :) :)

Yikes!!!:eek: Few problems with that: A) I'm not even anywhere near having my Christmas turnings done for the people I have to do! B) LOML has me on a short leash for home repair/improvement projects. C) Probably one of the biggest problems is, I really suck with work between centers! :o Pens I can do but, anytime I've tried anything that delicate, I've pooched it!:( Besides, I still have my 1st HF to do on any scale, much less something that fragile!:)

(Note to self: "Self, keep your stupid yap shut, next time!"):rolleyes: :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
11-26-2005, 6:09 PM
Wow, that looks great John. Nice finish.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
11-26-2005, 6:59 PM
Geez! For a really crummy first ornament you did great! I like it.

If you really want to see a crummy first ornament, check these out.

Gary DeWitt
11-26-2005, 7:45 PM
John:
I think it's a great first one. Really like the color of that cocobolo, too.

Andy:
Looks like some of those prototypes have been laying around awhile, gathering dust. Kudos for having the guts to post the pic.
BTW, I like your finished ones so well, I have some purpleheart, paduk and cherry glued up in a 9 part square drying right now. If everything works out, I'll have some turned tomorrow.

John Hart
11-27-2005, 9:10 AM
Thanks everyone!
Andy - I see some pieces in that pile that I woulda kept!! Can I come over and pick through it a little?:rolleyes: Maybe we should all take pics of the things that accumulate in the corner...Call it "The Boneyard" or something.;)

Andy Hoyt
11-27-2005, 9:19 AM
Gary - You should've seen the ones that didn't qualify for saving!

John - I've thought of it as the graveyard. Every once in a while I get in a jamb for a piece of something for something and will occasionally find it in that mess.

Bill Stevener
11-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi John,
Your ornament looks great. It should receive a prominent place on the tree, as I'm sure the family will long cherish it.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Mark Cothren
11-27-2005, 3:10 PM
Looks great, John! Nice work!

Thanks for the picture!

Jim Becker
11-28-2005, 7:22 AM
I hear you John...ornaments are not something I've gotten into in the past. But I suspect, like you, I'll give it a whirl since new family traditions require a bit of holiday decorations around here. And I do like what you came up with! Very attractive.

John Hart
11-28-2005, 7:34 AM
.....But I suspect, like you, I'll give it a whirl since new family traditions require a bit of holiday decorations around here. And I do like what you came up with! Very attractive.

Oh Jim....you are about to experience love on a new scale!!! Elise (my 10 yr old) looked at the ornament....went and tore open her piggy bank and said, "Daddy, I have $32...how much will you sell it for?". I said $25. She quickly handed me $25 and scampered off with her new prize. I gave her the money back later of course since she's been saving it for nearly a year and said that the whole family should enjoy it. I think she was a little relieved after thinking about it. Impulse buying...sheesh!!:D

Jeff Sudmeier
11-28-2005, 8:44 AM
Thanks everyone!
Andy - I see some pieces in that pile that I woulda kept!! Can I come over and pick through it a little?:rolleyes: Maybe we should all take pics of the things that accumulate in the corner...Call it "The Boneyard" or something.;)

John,

I kind of do that, just throw what doesn't work on the floor and clean up latter. It is kind of funny to look back at the mistakes a week later :)

Dawn Sunkle
11-28-2005, 1:13 PM
John, that looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
But then you always do such great work.

Dawn