PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell 11-280 Radial Drill Press

marlin adams
09-25-2018, 9:30 PM
Well I have one of them 8 inch HF Chicago drillpress thats done me right so far. But a project I done which if it works out right I could make a little money on the side. Basically I made some thread spool holders with 3/4 spruce pine and 3/4inch sanded plywood and 1/4inX6in wooden dowels which I found at a fanstastic price 15 for a dollar at dollartree. But the base is measured 15inX15in and well I had to use one of them hand portable drill press made by wolfcraft for I had bought several years ago for 10 bucks to finish out the holes because my freehand drilling skills since my stroke kinda suck in keeping the bit straight.

Well to the point, I been looking at larger drill presses and even look at some radial arm drill presses for the reach I need and come across a Rockwell 11-280 radial drillpress for $55 on facebook. He lives in Mesquite Tx which aint to far from me and I been texting him and he does mention in the comments that the original motor needs to be rebuild but has a new one that will fit. I am pretty handy with my hands and I repaired both my miter saws I bought used with no problems. I did find several sites online concerning parts for the Rockwell. I am planning to go this monday to look at it and determine if it is worth getting and fixing. Just wondering if anyone ones one that small. I have operated commercial radialarm drillpress that weight a ton or more but never a small one like this.
But here is the project I did for my mom and wife concerning the thread spindle holders and they brag about them and had several inquiries about making them for others. The ones in the picture are 15inX15in and has 42 dowels. Now I will make what ever size the person wants so but I want to beable to drill everything on one machine.

Curt Harms
09-26-2018, 6:34 AM
Marlin I have the Taiwanese Delta version of that drill press. The common complaint about that type of machine is the lack of rigidity when the arm is fully extended. I think for what you want to do - you're not using large cutters or drilling steel - it might work out okay for you. Another option would be a plunge router with spiral straight bit. Make a jig to fit a bushing with the desired hole spacing. For that matter, you could make one piece like the pics except drill the holes to snugly fit a router bushing, maybe 3/8" holes and use a 3/8" O.D. router bushing. Maybe make the template a little oversized and put rails on the template and drop the template on the workpiece, plunge away.

Harry Niemann
09-28-2018, 12:23 PM
I have had this press for over 25 years and it has served me well. You can drill to the center of a 32" circle and angle it to drill holes at an angle. A great investment.