PDA

View Full Version : Partial mark with fiber

Trey Tull
09-25-2018, 9:23 PM
I'm working on trying to get a "white" mark on some black ar mags. To test, I drew a 5 mm circle in Ezcad and started playing with settings. Well after about the gazillionth setting, I got it to mark ok. Then I noticed that the circle wasn't completely filled in.

Have any of you ever experienced this and if so, do you mind schooling me on whats going on here? I have since changed a bazillion more settings trying to get it completely filled in but I'm not having any luck. I noticed this on some other images that I had lasered, but I had imported the artwork from corel, so I assumed it was something that I was doing wrong. Also, is that considered "white" on an ar mag? Seem more tan..

I then switched to another brand of ar mag and it didn't mark at all. Is this normal?

Thank you!!

Trey

Gary Hair
09-25-2018, 10:31 PM
To complete the mark change your hatch setting, either spacing or type. When I was marking P-Mags I used .01 spacing and it worked really well with the speed/power/freq that I discovered. Yes, you'll find what works for one brand won't work for another as they are likely a different formulation of plastic. Even the P-Mag iPhone cases I had marked differently from batch to batch and even on the same case it had swirls and streaks from the various components of the material not mixing completely - at least I think that's what caused it. It got to a point that I could look at the case and tell you whether or not it would mark - I could tell by the sheen, or lack of sheen, which formula or batch the case came from. This was after doing hundreds of them!

John Lifer
09-26-2018, 8:49 AM
Try checking the Average distribution box. Depending on the hatch, it might help. Oh, and color on the plastic mags? You won't get white.
All you are doing is bleaching out the color. And base resin is not really a white in almost all cases. Your lucky to get color change on some.