PDA

View Full Version : Question for the pen dude(ette)s

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-26-2005, 2:54 PM
I made a lot of pens several years back. Got tired of it. In a moment of weakness a few weeks ago, I ordered some pen kits. Then I saw those cool dyed box elder burl blanks. You can figure out the rest. :rolleyes:

I've been using up to 1500 wet/dry paper, followed by laxquer, followed with HUT PPP stick. This is vastly superior to what I've done in the past...enough so that I have to wonder if investing in some MicroMesh will actually make it that much better. I don't mind spending the money, but only if the difference will be 'spectacular'.

Comments?

Jeremiah Jordan
11-26-2005, 3:49 PM
Never done the wet/dry sandpaper before. But I do use the micromesh all the way up to 3600. The blanks then look so glossy they might not even need a finish if oily woods like cocobolo or ebony. Heck for 25 bucks, how could you go wrong? Good luck to ya.

Jeremiah

John Miliunas
11-26-2005, 5:31 PM
I'll second Jeremiah's notes! Also, if you get into the stabilized blanks, which have some form of plastic hardener in them, or acrylics or antler/bone, the MM just can't be beat!:) A light touch, keep them moving and use them wet (pretty damp). Also, once they start to load up too much, an old toothbrush and running water will renew most of the surface!:) :cool:

Blake McCully
11-26-2005, 7:01 PM
Kirk,
I'm assuming you bought some stabilized blanks from Bill Baumbeck, at that Arizona place? Love that stuff. I use sandpaper to 400, then micromesh to 12,000. While it is still on the lathe, I run my block of carnuba wax on it very lightly, then buff it real good with some Tee shirt material. It's 100% cotton just like the beall wheel is. No, I don't wrap it around my finger, and yes, I take great care that it doesn't come too near the head or tailstock.

Puts on a beautiful shine. It holds up well from what I've experienced.

John,
Do I understand that you use the MM wet with the stabilized blanks? Hmm... I guess that would be ok since they are really plasticized wood.

Oh, when mine gets gunky, I put them in the pocket of my jeans and LOML washes them with the wash. Works real good.

Dave Smith
11-26-2005, 7:27 PM
Hey KC, how is life in the fast lane. I get tired of dodging cars myself.

I wet sand to 2000. Then use Maguire's #2 scratch remover and finish with #9 swirl remover. I have never used micro mesh. Being a cheap fellow I use what I use to rub out a finish on furniture. Nothing special to buy and everything is available at the local auto paint store. An auto paint store is a great source for sanding supplies that wood stores don't carry.

Dave Smith

Hearing from an old friend brings a smile to my face in Longview, WA.