PDA

View Full Version : LED Shop Lighting

Steven Green
09-24-2018, 4:19 PM
Does anybody have a favored LED shop light?

Bill Space
09-24-2018, 4:54 PM
I don't have a favorite LED shop light, but do have an observation.

There seems to be two types of LED tubes. One is translucent ( milky appearance) and the other is clear, where you can see the LEDs.

Initially I bought the milky type, and thought I wouldn't like the clear ones.

Turns out that I now have both, and like them equally well. The milky ones seem to disperse the light more, and the clear ones seem to focus the light downwards more (less light hits the ceiling when using shop lights without reflectors)

Actually, thinking about it, I think I like the clear ones just a tad more...

Bill

Roger Feeley
09-24-2018, 5:06 PM
I redid my shop about a year ago and installed 20 of those 4' lights from Home Depot. I had about a 20% failure rate. That is, I had to return 4 of them for replacement in the first few months. After that initial period, they have been great. At 36 watts each, it meant that I could have all my lights on one circuit. It used to be 20x2 tubesx40w = 1600 watts. I used three circuits.

They are linkable but the link cable was too short for my needs at 12". I just cut the link cable and soldered in some wire so I could put them farther apart.

I think they came from Commercial Electric. I paid about $40 each. I see that they are down to $34.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-4-ft-Bright-White-Integrated-LED-Linkable-Shop-Light-Fixture-54103161/205331022?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-205331022-_-N

Jim Becker
09-24-2018, 5:36 PM
My entire shop is lighted with Feit LED fixtures or Feit replacement "tubes" from Costco. It's like being on the surface of the sun now... :) :D

Ben Rivel
09-24-2018, 7:08 PM
I kicked around the idea of converting the shop lighting to LED for a bit, but honestly when I really thought about it I just couldnt figure out how to justify it. Most of the bulb and fixture options out there are produced by no name brands and that concerned me regarding the longevity and quality of the product. Then there was the issue with color temperature, I like my work light at 5000K and not all LED solutions offer that. Some dont even state what color temp they are. And lastly there was the issue with the amount of lumens they put out. I bought a box of Phillips 5000K 2600 lumen T8 bulbs (LINK (https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/203809/PHILIPS-479634.html)) and use them in 2x4' fixtures. Two of those is 5200 lumens per fixture and the only cost was the bulb replacement since the ballasts I had were already 32W T8 compatible. I dont think I have seen a 4' LED fixture or two 4' LED replacement bulbs that went up that high in lumens AND was 5000K color temp. So for me, for approximately $60 shipped I was able to light up my shop like the sun with a full spectrum bulb and at the color temp I wanted. I'd suggest considering that route unless you are dead set on saying you have the shop lit with LEDs or reeeeeeeally have to save that extra power.

Peter Christensen
09-24-2018, 8:23 PM
I bought my LED fixtures through Alibaba. I don’t really care about brand names as virtually all come from China anyway and just have them packaged in boxes with their brand on them. I’m very happy with them and recommend buying direct. I’ve mentioned them a number of times but if you want to go that way message me and I’ll link you to them.

glenn bradley
09-24-2018, 10:04 PM
My entire shop is lighted with Feit LED fixtures or Feit replacement "tubes" from Costco. It's like being on the surface of the sun now... :) :D

I'm converting to these as my cheap T-8 fixtures die. It took about 10 years for the first $17 fixture to die but, 2 more went in the last few years. Only a dozen to go. By the time they all fail there will be a new technology but, the Feit LED shop lights have been fine and I will replace as needed.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-24-2018, 10:10 PM
I will replace my T-8's with LED replacements when they go bad and the box of replacement T-8 tubes goes bad too.:o

Dave Cav
09-24-2018, 10:22 PM

I have eight or ten of the Costco Feit fixtures in the shop and eight in the garage. Love them. I still have four (original) T-8 two tube fixtures left in the shop. As soon as the ends start getting dark they'll get replaced with LED tubes. LED shop lights are great.

Art Tripp
09-24-2018, 11:04 PM
I have a 30' x 40' x 10'h workshop and am quite satisfied with my lighting (installed a couple years ago). I have 18 Commercial Electric lights from Home Depot and they have been quite dependable, are quite bright with a great color temperature, work well at all temperatures (from the 90's through well below freezing) and I have had no failures or any problems. They install easily and I have the lights mounted directly to the ceiling where they have a low profile and well out of the way. While there area many choices you can make, I don't hesitate to recommend these...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-4-ft-Bright-and-Cool-White-LED-Direct-Wire-Powered-Strip-Ceiling-Light-Fixture-54283141/206028970

Peter Christensen
09-24-2018, 11:25 PM
Art your lights are similar to mine except they cost close to twice what I paid. Great light though. :)

Dan Hulbert
09-25-2018, 8:43 AM
I just re-lamped my shop with LEDs a couple weeks ago and love it. I got mine through an Amazon warehouse deal for <$6 per bulb. I got the ones that don't use the ballast. I think the first one took about 15 minutes to re-wire and re-lamp. By the time I got to the last few, I could re-wire and re-lamp a fixture in under 5 minutes with only one trip up the ladder.

Wayne Jolly
09-25-2018, 12:24 PM
I replaced a bunch of my fluorescent lights with LEDs from Costco or Lowes. I like them a lot. Good light and quiet. The 4000K color temp is just about right for me. Any higher and the light starts getting too blue-ish, any lower and it starts getting too yellow-ish.

Wayne

Thomas Crawford
09-25-2018, 6:11 PM
I have these:
https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Dual-End-Powered-Installation-equivalent/dp/B01H4KU634/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516999037&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=hyperikon%2Bt8%2Bhigh%2Bcri&th=1

The High-CRI claims seem to be legit to me based on my subjective comparison to other crappy fluorescents.

I bought the 4000K bulbs and I'm very pleased with the light. I don't have them all up yet but I think they will work out well. I am rewiring old fixtures I got off Craigslist to remove the ballast. Note these are dual-ended lamps.

Brice Rogers
09-26-2018, 2:21 AM
I am surprised that after 14 posts, no one commented on the issue of (1) compatibility with the existing fixture (electronic start, old ballast, new ballast, etc.) or (2) the ballast bypassed (direct wire) approach. Perhaps many of the posters were thinking of replacing their bulbs AND fixtures at the same time.

Some LED bulbs are compatible with some magnetic ballasts (and not some other ones). Some LEDs are only compatible with electronic start fixtures and not ballasts. But if you leave the ballasts in place, they draw power and dissipate heat. If they fail, the LEDs stop running. They really don't provide anything positive.

I chose to convert my T-12 fixtures to direct wire/ballast bypass. I think that if you are buying a new fixture with an LED bulb that they do NOT include a ballast. So I eliminated the power-wasting ballast. They work fine. They put out a bit more light than the T-12 32 watt bulbs used to do. I think that the LED bulbs draw 17 or 18 watts.

Curt Harms
09-26-2018, 5:52 AM
I replaced a bunch of my fluorescent lights with LEDs from Costco or Lowes. I like them a lot. Good light and quiet. The 4000K color temp is just about right for me. Any higher and the light starts getting too blue-ish, any lower and it starts getting too yellow-ish.

Wayne

I find the same, 4K seems like 'pure white'. I replaced T12 fluorescent tubes with T8 LEDs. I reused the T12 fixtures after removing the ballasts. It's probably my imagination but the LEDs seem brighter even though the lumen rating is the same or less.

Jim Becker
09-26-2018, 9:00 AM
I chose to convert my T-12 fixtures to direct wire/ballast bypass. I think that if you are buying a new fixture with an LED bulb that they do NOT include a ballast. So I eliminated the power-wasting ballast.

You make a good point, Brice. I only ended up "converting" just a few T12 fixtures, so it was just easier to plunk in the "plug and play" LED replacement "tubes" for those and the rest of the shop got actual LED fixtures. But if one was going to retain a lot (relative term to the individual situation), conversion to direct wire and use of the less expensive direct-wire compatible LED "tubes" is a good, economical choice.

Thomas Crawford
09-26-2018, 9:48 AM
I find the same, 4K seems like 'pure white'. I replaced T12 fluorescent tubes with T8 LEDs. I reused the T12 fixtures after removing the ballasts. It's probably my imagination but the LEDs seem brighter even though the lumen rating is the same or less.

The LED's focus light in a narrower beam, so more direct but less diffused light. Mine were spec'ed at 120 degree angle.

Peter Christensen
09-26-2018, 11:54 AM
I am surprised that after 14 posts, no one commented on the issue of (1) compatibility with the existing fixture (electronic start, old ballast, new ballast, etc.) or (2) the ballast bypassed (direct wire) approach. Perhaps many of the posters were thinking of replacing their bulbs AND fixtures at the same time.

Some LED bulbs are compatible with some magnetic ballasts (and not some other ones). Some LEDs are only compatible with electronic start fixtures and not ballasts. But if you leave the ballasts in place, they draw power and dissipate heat. If they fail, the LEDs stop running. They really don't provide anything positive.

I chose to convert my T-12 fixtures to direct wire/ballast bypass. I think that if you are buying a new fixture with an LED bulb that they do NOT include a ballast. So I eliminated the power-wasting ballast. They work fine. They put out a bit more light than the T-12 32 watt bulbs used to do. I think that the LED bulbs draw 17 or 18 watts.

The original poster asked about our favoured LED fixture so that implied new. In my case I was starting from scratch so it was more cost effective to buy compete units. No decent used ones around and I couldn't find new fixture without ballasts.

Curt Harms
09-27-2018, 7:21 AM
The original poster asked about our favoured LED fixture so that implied new. In my case I was starting from scratch so it was more cost effective to buy compete units. No decent used ones around and I couldn't find new fixture without ballasts.

I think the move away from ballasts is going to be a slow process. The majority of LED tubes are designed for use with a ballast because people buy them as direct replacements for fluorescent tubes. Today there's little demand for LED tubes that are direct wire. I wonder if we'll see new production LED-only fixtures with no ballasts. I wonder what the difference in production cost is for LED tubes that require a ballast and the hybrids, those that work with or without a ballast.

Jim Becker
09-27-2018, 8:28 AM
Curt, a lot of the "LED by design" fixtures currently available don't seem to use replaceable "tubes", at least on the consumer side. (not sure about "pro" sources) Relative to your cost question, the ballast compatible LED "tubes" cost more than the direct wire version that folks are retrofitting with, so I'm guessing they are more expensive to produce because of extra circuitry, etc.

Greg R Bradley
09-27-2018, 9:43 AM
The suppliers will fill a demand for product and are very willing to create the demand if they can. Facts aren't necessary. The typical consumer thinks LED is far more energy efficient than fluorescents and lasts forever. In fact it is easy to buy LED fixtures in your typical BORG that are well below typical fluorescent efficiency and life.

The direct install LED tubes designed to replace fluorescents are directed at the consumer as you end up with a system that has more parts to fail and is less efficient than direct wire tubes. Now you have the extra circuitry to use the high frequency AC to power low voltage DC LEDs and you still need the ballast.

If the ballast works, LEDs are not really an advantage over good fluorescent tubes unless you can gain efficiency from the narrow light pattern. If you have strip lights with no reflectors AND they are mounted high enough that that the narrow light pattern works well AND your ceiling is far enough above the lights that uplight is wasted THEN the LEDs will be an advantage.

It really should be a ballast failure on T8s that would make you want to convert a fixture to LEDs. Easier to justify converting T12s as most will have old magnetic ballasts and be inefficient and T12 bulbs have a much shorter life than T8s.

For low ceilings, we really need the wider dispersion LED bulb conversions that seem to always be coming. Making them T12 diameter and two rows of LEDs at 90-120 degrees would let me replace my T12 lamps mounted to 7.5' ceiling. Carson Lighting has had them in their catalog for 3 years, you just can't get them yet.

Lots of LED ready 4' fixtures out there. I'm paying $13 for two bulb 4' fixture, which is just a generic T8 without a ballast and non-shunted tombstones.

"LED by design" fixtures don't have replaceable LED anything except at the very high end. So your typical LED "shop light" is going to have to be thrown away at about the same number of hours that good long life T8 bulbs last. The key here is GOOD T8 tubes and those are tough to find for consumers. LEDs will tend to have an advantage in uses that have lots of on/off use. That's why I use an LED hooked to the light switch in my garage and fluorescents in the shop area of the garage. In business, LED in shop areas that have occupancy sensors that turn the unit on only when someone walks in that section. Upstairs of warehouse that is accessed only 10-20 minutes at a time turns on that row when someone walks in that row. It was a challenge because some of the areas were tough to move the lighting up from 8' to 9.5' and the LED were glaring at 8' even frosted. Not bad when you walk up to one that is sideways to you like on a workbench.

Paul Lawrence
09-27-2018, 11:10 AM
I bought these off of Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3RNBRN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and am pleased with them. Actually, I'm amazed at how much light they emit. Haven't measured it, but they are bright.

I think I'm going to have to reevaluate the calculations based on the 100 foot-candles at 36 inches spec in the forum posts on lighting.

Dan Hulbert
09-27-2018, 1:32 PM
I went the no ballast, use the existing fixture route and bought these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DWE4FWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 10' ceilings in my shop and these work great.

Yes, I had to re-wire the fixture, but it was about the same effort (if not less) as taking down the old and putting up a new fixture.

Curt Harms
09-28-2018, 7:24 AM
The LED's focus light in a narrower beam, so more direct but less diffused light. Mine were spec'ed at 120 degree angle.

That could well be it. I don't need to light the ceiling more than it is so a 120o pointed straight down is just fine. I don't notice shadows or other ill effects.

Mark Carlson
09-28-2018, 9:06 AM
I recently bought a dozen of these 4000k 4100 lumens led lights. Shop is nice and bright now. I found 5000k to be to harsh. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748Y9C1K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Zachary Hoyt
09-28-2018, 9:29 AM
I have 6 screw-in type light fixtures in the ceiling of my shop. I went to LEDs and those 6 fixtures provide a good amount of light in a 14x20 or so shop. I had CFLs before and they were good but it took a few minutes for them to warm up after I came in, and the LEDs are brighter and come on full strength as soon as I flip the switch. I don't care much for fluorescent fixtures, or anything like that that hangs down from the ceiling.
Zach

Brandon Thill
09-29-2018, 7:11 AM
I've liked mine: https://www.homedepot.com/p/EnviroLite-90-Watt-2-ft-White-Integrated-LED-Backlit-High-Bay-Hanging-Light-with-11400-Lumens-5000K-HB2B12DMDP50/301825517. 11400 lumen and a smallish footprint.

Jerry Lowetz
10-02-2018, 12:14 PM
I have 5 4' LED shop lights in my shop.
3 Hyperikon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012ENQPXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Note: I got them because they were on sale for under 40
I'd skip at current $60 apiece

2 Sunco
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DJGWP2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

They're both quite similar, but I prefer the 5000K Sunco light by a bit. Luckily it's what's over my main handwork area.

Both are fairly sturdy, at least to being dropped 10' onto concrete several times by a clumsy person carrying too much up a ladder. I wired outlets in the rafters, hooked them into a motion sensor to come on when I enter. I rarely want the lights off when I'm in the garage and it's dark.

I'd guess most 4' led tubes are darn similar, you're just betting on quality control, so watch over them closely for the first 30 days when you can return easily!

That said, I do plan on adding 2 more lights with a 96CRI or so over an area just to have a "nitpick" area.

I bought, kept and wore a pimpin' purple porkpie hat to work a couple of months ago. In my house, with all LED's, the blue was muted enough it looks identical to the black hat. A good CRI is often very helpful.

David Helm
10-05-2018, 4:29 PM
Mine too. Completed buying them two years ago. I have seventeen of those four footers. It was nice when they started selling the ones that could be linked together. Have had zero failures; have a lot of light and did it for an average of $19.95 apiece. And the other bonus is NO buzzing.

Jon Snider
10-05-2018, 7:23 PM
Jim and David.

Are these the ones you’ve used? Thx.

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4'-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-2-pack.product.100410429.html

or maybe these? from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/4FT-Shop-Light-Feit-Electric/dp/B01LWIFY36/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538781695&sr=8-3&keywords=feit+led+shop+light

Jim Becker
10-05-2018, 7:35 PM
Jon, the Feit from Costco is what I have...they often go on sale for much lower than the $59 in the link. I plan on buying another "two pack" the next time they do go on sale to fill over my bandsaw as I noted earlier. I've been very, very happy with them as well as their predecessors. (I have three generations of them...as well as their "replacement tubes" in a few T12 fixtures I chose just to replace the lamps in)

Jon Snider
10-05-2018, 8:18 PM
Jon, the Feit from Costco is what I have...they often go on sale for much lower than the $59 in the link. I plan on buying another "two pack" the next time they do go on sale to fill over my bandsaw as I noted earlier. I've been very, very happy with them as well as their predecessors. (I have three generations of them...as well as their "replacement tubes" in a few T12 fixtures I chose just to replace the lamps in)

Thx Jim. In my area all of the stores say they are an online item only.

John Lifer
10-05-2018, 10:17 PM
A couple of points. First, I need to change out my 8ft lights in my shop. They are the major lighting and are both expensive tubes and not enough lighting. And I'll do leds with no ballast. But I have other experience with led fixtures that so far has been good. Basement has t8 4 bulb troffers. Slowly going to replace as I run out of tubes to replace. But in one area it was poorly lit and I added 3 led 2x4 troffers. 20 months ago, daily use of 6 to 10 hours and no issue. Bought a 2x2 for near stairs that was not lit and it puts it way more lumens than a 4 bulb t8 fluorescent.

Had laundry room fixture go out after 2 years last month. Was cussing that cheap led fixture till I opened it up and found a dual circline fixture. Ballast had died and bulbs were black, so near death too. Replaced with 3100lumen led fixture. At least double the light. And half the wattage.

Toss the fluorescents, the output goes down the first time you turn it on.... Leds, no loss over time.

Michael Cummins
10-05-2018, 10:18 PM
Glad to see so many out there who like me prefer the 4000K light. I kept reading of all the wonders of 5000k+, but just can't buy into it.

I have NOT used these lights, but someone pointed them out to me, so thought I'd throw it out there. Again, I have no personal experience, but the design looks good, like the angled mount for the LEDs for better dispersion, and the price is great especially in the 25 quantity. They come in higher Kelvin, but you can order them lower. I'm not sure if that's a price bump or not. They're what I'm strongly leaning towards for my new shop, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Any thoughts on these?

https://www.omniraylighting.com/collections/linear-led-fixtures

One of the first 2 listed most likely for me... the 3rd one has other length options etc as well.

Jon Snider
10-05-2018, 11:08 PM
Mine too. Completed buying them two years ago. I have seventeen of those four footers. It was nice when they started selling the ones that could be linked together. Have had zero failures; have a lot of light and did it for an average of $19.95 apiece. And the other bonus is NO buzzing.

David, how big is your shop for the 17 fixtures? Also, are they the 1 or 2 bulb Feits? I’m building a 40x28’shop, with a loft over one half which will have 10’ ceilings underneath, and th either half open to scissor trusses about 14’ at the peak.

Any advice on fixture/bulb number would be appreciated. I’ve read most of the lighting threads here, plus the linked one, but still am undecided.

ThX. Jon

Curt Harms
10-06-2018, 6:12 AM
<snip>
Toss the fluorescents, the output goes down the first time you turn it on.... Leds, no loss over time.

Q: Why is the life of LEDs measured as lumen depreciation?

A: Unlike conventional light sources that reduce in output and eventually fail, LED products do not normally suddenly fail. Instead, the light output reduces over time.

The normal convention is to measure the life from when the output has reduced by 30%, i.e. when there is 70% light output remaining. This is often quoted as the L70 life and is measured in hours.

http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/support/purchase/installer/support/life-and-light-output/why-is-the-life-of-leds-measured-as-lumen-depreciation

Greg R Bradley
10-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Q: Why is the life of LEDs measured as lumen depreciation?

A: Unlike conventional light sources that reduce in output and eventually fail, LED products do not normally suddenly fail. Instead, the light output reduces over time.

The normal convention is to measure the life from when the output has reduced by 30%, i.e. when there is 70% light output remaining. This is often quoted as the L70 life and is measured in hours.

http://www.lighting.philips.com/main/support/purchase/installer/support/life-and-light-output/why-is-the-life-of-leds-measured-as-lumen-depreciation
You are exactly correct and John is just continuing LED nonsense. Of course, cheap fluorescents are junk also.

Absolutely not difficult to use 50,000 hour T-8 bulb. We used 998 of them in one building 24x7 and replaced them every 5 years, which is 43,800 hours of use. We used light monitoring systems in clean room and QA so actually know what the light output was and they followed the manufacturers spec. Most FL manufacturers use life at 10% loss and the LED L70 is specified at 30% loss. LED L70 is using a method that is only a guess anyway so it is inherently flawed.

The Costco Feit units that I used for temporary use in one warehouse area have noticeable light loss after 2.5-3 year use of 65 hour/week use. Zero failures though.
Customer used 12 of HD's Commercial Electric LED 1x4 units in June, 2016. After just over 2 years of 45 hours work weeks, 3 are dead. HD used to have Pixies but switched to something cheaper:

Jim Becker
10-06-2018, 3:29 PM
Thx Jim. In my area all of the stores say they are an online item only.
When they go on sale, they are also on sale for online. Almost all of mine were delivered from the online system and at the time, shipping was also free.

Dave Cav
10-06-2018, 9:51 PM
Jim and David.

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4'-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-2-pack.product.100410429.html

or maybe these? from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/4FT-Shop-Light-Feit-Electric/dp/B01LWIFY36/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538781695&sr=8-3&keywords=feit+led+shop+light

The Costco lights. As Jim said, they occasionally go on sale for quite a bit less. I think I paid under $20 each for mine. They've been going in the shop for a year and a half now with no problems. Great in the garage, too.

Michael Costa
10-07-2018, 2:58 PM
I have nothing to compare my new LED shop lights to, but I just bought six, 8 foot Envirolite shop lights and couldn't be happier with my choice. I did quite a bit of research on lighting before buying these. They are pricy at ~$80 each but each light puts out 7200 lumens (good for about 100 sqft) and 5000 kelvin which is perfect for shop lighting.

Tony Latham
10-07-2018, 10:04 PM
I recently bought a dozen of these 4000k 4100 lumens led lights. Shop is nice and bright now. I found 5000k to be to harsh. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748Y9C1K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mark: What's the square footage of your shop? I'm in the planning phase.

Tony

David Helm
10-08-2018, 4:02 PM
Jim and David.

hose are the ones. The most I have paid is $29.95. Most of those I bought were after they went on sale at $19.95.
T